Difference Between FL Studio 9 and Reason 4 - CPU Usage

Make sure to change FL's mixer interpolation to the lowest setting (Linear, I think.) Also make sure the audio devices and buffer options are identical in both FL and Reason.

I set it to Linear and it was still choppy (both the sound and the response from the computer). This also happens on some other demo songs.

I'm using ASIO drivers on both and I set FL to max buffer, but it didn't help. :/

Why is Reason not as intensive on my processor?

How old is your computer? That demo song should run fine on anything built within the last 5 years, easily.

I got it two years ago.

1.6 Ghz processor

1.5 GB RAM

It's a laptop.

I didn't really expect the song to run on this computer, but I'm interested in why I can run Reason 4 stuff with no CPU effort while "Just Hold On" kills my computer.

Wait so that means a lot of demo songs that come with FL use 20 wav samples and 5 VST's to make one kick drum :<

hey, you gotta do what you can when you're stuck with FL's default samples =P

(have definitely had to use fruity kick plus probably 4 different bass drum samples in order to get anything decent back when FLMC was still running. And that's not even taking into account all the crap you have to put it through to get it to sound decent =P)

reason is just insanely cpu efficient - that's what i hear every reason user saying. The cpu usage of FL plugins might be modest compared to what's coming out these days in VST land, but that doesn't mean much when you're running it on an ancient pc like yours.

Also, the newer IL stuff can easily compete with 3rd party cpu hogs. ever tried the sawer demo? kinda ridiculous. you'll probably manage to max out your cpu with one polyphonically played instance.

That's a very underpowered computer. My 5-6 year old Pentium 4 3ghz desktop was definitely more powerful. The main problem is your audio drivers... you need a real interface of some kind, as most laptop interfaces are bad/CPU inefficient. Reason IS a CPU-efficient program but FL is hardly hungry at all.

Well the Pentium 4 architecture had an artificially deep pipeline simply to increase the clock speed. Recall that 5 years ago, you had a 3 GHz computer... check the clock speed of your computer now. If it's an Intel Core 2 Duo, chances are it's in the 2.5 to 3.5 GHz speed.

If he got a 1.6 GHz computer from 3 years ago it was probably an Intel Core Duo - a decent reference point is that 4 years ago, Apple released its first Intel MacBook and it was a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo.

But yeah, Propellerheads makes it a point of pride to say that their system is extremely efficient. They are extremely proud of it. Also, they don't use VSTs which might add some overhead to the whole system.

If he got a 1.6 GHz computer from 3 years ago it was probably an Intel Core Duo - a decent reference point is that 4 years ago, Apple released its first Intel MacBook and it was a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo.

Forgot to say that my processor is single core. lol

I wish I could use the FL Studio interface

but have the soundbanks/synths and efficiency of Reason.

But I only have de Reason demo. :(

Forgot to say that my processor is single core. lol

I wish I could use the FL Studio interface

but have the soundbanks/synths and efficiency of Reason.

But I only have de Reason demo. :(

Reason used to be only $200 academically. Not a bad price, but could be a little too much $ depending on your budget. Getting Reason/Record is a nice option since all of the aliasing is gone from Reason's synths in Record.

yeah I just want to reiterate that the main reason for that is just that reason is super efficient (and record). But I really just wanted to agree with avaris here about the reason/record thing. Personally I find record sounds so much better, and if you have both, you get the good sound quality of record with all the great synths in reason. Its a good thing.