Tommy Tallarico Q&A + DKC 2 Album Coverage

TenchuX

Greetings fellow game music fans!

We have a very special announcement over at Radio Free Gamer; a weekly internet radio show that focuses on video game music!

www.radiofreegamer.8bitx.com

I had the pleasure of meeting a very neat person a few days ago after an awesome Video Games Live show. So how does that tie in?

Next Wednesday's show (March, 24th @ 7:00 PM EST) we're going to be joined by none other than Tommy Tallarico. Yes, that would be the co-founder of Video Games Live, G.A.N.G, and composer of an astonishing amount of games.

It's an absolute honor that he's going to be talking with both Justin Johnston and myself over at Radio Free Gamer.

But wait... just us I thought... wouldn't it be a great idea to ask the greatest game remixing community on the planet for some questions?

So, during the interview there will be a special fan Q&A segment where we'll chose questions asked directly by you!

One big point of discussion is going to be the upcoming Video Games Live concert in New Orleans at the Pontchartrain Center at 8 PM, April 1, 2010 with the Louisiana Philharmonic. (Tickets on Sale) :P

What's so important about this show is that it's being filmed for a NATION WIDE PBS SPECIAL! That's right, the whole country will get to experience just how awesome video game music is. This specific concert is a huge step forward in showing everyone just how valid of an art form video game music is. Tommy is currently working his butt off for the next three weeks preparing for it.

It doesn't end at this awesome Q&A with Tommy Tallarico!

We're also going to be covering the superb Donkey Kong Country 2 album (Serious Monkey Business) that was just released here on OCRemix! An album that itself is a groundbreaking achievement for the advancement of video game music.

I can already tell you that I will be asking Tommy what his thoughts are about fellow professionals David Wise, Grant Kirkhope, Robin Beanland making such an awesome contribution to the DKC 2 Album.

Now while Radio Free Gamer is typically live, the segment with Tommy Tallarico is going to be recorded earlier.

This Friday afternoon to be exact. I'm not going to be able to look through this thread or twitter and shuffle around questions at... lets say, after 12:01 PM this Friday.

For those who want a little more insight into the Video Games Live experience I will have a feature article on www.elder-geek.com on what's looking like Thursday or Friday of next week. The article itself will also have a link to the interview in case you missed it airing live on Wednesday's Radio Free Gamer.

So there you have it!

Feel free to ask your questions in this thread. You can also follow me on twitter...

http://twitter.com/TenchuX

...for updates. You can alternatively ask me your Tommy Tallarico question on there as well if you wish.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to some great questions from this amazing community!

Ah, I haz can questions for Mr. Tommy:

Ask him if how he feels about the transition of the industry from chip-produced music and sounds towards the more open-recorded formats. How does he see it affecting the use of music in games, and where could it possibly go from here? I'm interested since he has moved through the transition from chiptunes composing.

Ask him about that Earthworm Jim album he came here pimping (looking for remixes from OCR artists), and then never seemed to bring up again.

Was this before he released it? Because it's totally been released now. I have it. Protricity, Zyko and Mazedude are on it.

Or do you mean he pimped it after it had been released... but then why would he need more mixes?

Thanks for all the submissions! We really appreciate the interest in the interview, and we see a few of your questions which we'd like to ask Tommy. We'll give a well-deserved shout-out to you guys during the interview!

Be sure to check out the interview (and our feature on the DKC2 project) on Radio Free Gamer this Wednesday the 24th. Tune in at 7PM EST at http://8bitx.com/streams.html and chat at http://8bitx.com/ircchat! If you can't listen live, be sure to check out the podcast here, but we'd really really love to have you guys join us live! Thanks!

Yeah, thanks for chiming in guys! I can confirm that Tommy pretty much hits on every point made in this thread. He's a great dude, and we hope you'll join us for the airing of his interview as well as our review of the DKC2 Serious Monkey Business Album.

Again, thanks!

Was this before he released it? Because it's totally been released now. I have it. Protricity, Zyko and Mazedude are on it.

Or do you mean he pimped it after it had been released... but then why would he need more mixes?

He did? Well shit.

I had a remix I at least wanted to send his way, but I never found out where the hell to send it ("Still Going Down" was the mix). I didn't have high hopes of it being picked, but it would have been cool to get a quick comment or two from the man whose song I remixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a followup since this has all happened. The PBS special is tomorrow and I can tell you that it's going to be insane! You'll wish you were there (if you're not going) after you hear what Tommy says about it.

The VGL Article: http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/video-games-live-experience

The OCR DK2 Album + Tommy Tallarico Interview: http://www.8bitx.com/RadioFreeGamer/RFGPodcast/RFGWorld2Level9.mp3

Just the Tommy Tallarico Interview: http://www.8bitx.com/RadioFreeGamer/2010/03/tommy-tallarico-interview.html (MP3 link is included twice within)

Thanks again for your questions and I hope you find the interview enjoyable!