Advantages of Reason over FLStudio

I have been using fruity loops for a while now as i find it has a nice interface and has sufficient tools to make my style of music, however a while ago my friend told me he was moving from FLStudio to Reason and that i should do the same. Does anyone agree? What benefits would i gain by doing so? How is reason better or worse than FLStudio?

I have never used Reason so my advice is kind of general here, but if you find that FLStudio has a nice interface and sufficient tools to make your style of music, just stick with it. Despite what some people may think, FLStudio isn't some rinky-dink my-first-DAW software. It's very powerful and versatile and you can do a lot with it.

Why is your friend switching to Reason? What kind of music are both of you writing?

Yeah a lot of people say FLStudio sucks, but i cant disagree more. i dont really know why my friend changed his music software, perhaps he just fancied a change. I usually create dance, trance music but ive recently started leaning towards drum and bass, FLStudio doesnt seem to agree with me very well on this. I just thought id ask before i changed software weather anybody knows the pros and cons of each program.

Yeah a lot of people say FLStudio sucks, but i cant disagree more. i dont really know why my friend changed his music software, perhaps he just fancied a change. I usually create dance, trance music but ive recently started leaning towards drum and bass, FLStudio doesnt seem to agree with me very well on this. I just thought id ask before i changed software weather anybody knows the pros and cons of each program.

Really it doesn't matter what style of music you make as long as you can use the tools you have at your disposal, but there are quite a few DnB artists that use FLStudio (Namely Concord Dawn and Spor off the top of my head, and Spor has some of the best production values in the game). Does that mean its better? Not necessarily, but some differences I've noted:

Reason:

- Self contained (both a pro and a con)

- Easier on the CPU

- Unique layout and routing (The combinator is heavenly)

- Quality synths included (Namely Thor and Maelstrom)

FLStudio:

- More flexible

- More robust MIDI

- Can use audio (Reason can too with Record now but I haven't used record so I don't know how well they integrate)

That said, none of this matters because it all boils down to your personal style and workflow. I used to use Reason and FLStudio (still occasionally use Reason if I'm on the go and want to get ideas down) but I've since switched to Ableton simply because I felt like it fit my style the best. Its too easy (especially when you're starting) to get caught in the "what" as opposed to the "how" when making music, don't worry about what a spreadsheet says or what you're favorite artists use and focus more on how well each program works for you, then choose accordingly.

I use FL Studio 9 and I used to have Reason a few years ago. I lost my software (or it might have been stolen) so, I never really got into it like FL. I was still in the process of learning how to work with Reason, so I never had a chance to see its full potential. At the time, I was just working with MIDIs. I was not remixing with it. But what I did notice was Reason comes with a HUGE bank of sounds of pretty decent quality right out the box, where you would have to search for better sounds for FL.

I prefer FL's interface to Reason's because it seems less cluttered to me. Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but I cant stand to see buttons and knobs and switches everywhere when I'm trying to work on music. Its kinda distracting. My dad, on the other hand swears by Reason. Its like the best thing he has ever used.

My suggestion is to try a demo first and see how you like it cause everybody has different taste.

If you have questions about Reason, I know Avaris might be able to help you. He is pretty good with it.

Short version:

• Reason has a better, larger, more diverse library of usable factory sounds (still, though FL is improving in this arena)
  • Fruity is actually MORE powerful, however, because at this point the ability to run plugins is crucial, and the propheads are simply being stubborn about keeping Reason entirely proprietary and self-contained

I'd stick w/ FL; you can always host Reason via ReWire...

I use Reason as an "instrument" more than a standalone application. You can't really compare the two because FLstudio is trying to be more of a full on DAW and Reason is pretty much a one trick pony (though it's a pretty nice trick!). Think of Reason kind of like a synthesizer with a built in sequencer where as FLstudio is like a run down studio that still somehow works... :)

If anything try using Reason as a rewire as SnappleMan said, it works wonders since it's such a nice program anyways. I found myself actually goin back to FL after usin Reason for about a year and a half. I realized how important using plugins were and Reason doesn't allow that. Nothin really new to add to the table, just try Reason by itself first then try experimentin with it as a Rewire client and see how you like it then.

- Can use audio (Reason can too with Record now but I haven't used record so I don't know how well they integrate)

All I really want to add here is that these 2 programs integrate better than anything could ever possibly integrate.

If you have them both installed on your computer, you only open Record, and you have EVERYTHING from record and reason. So all the reason synths+effects, records sweet layout and mixer, etc etc.

The integration is completely amazing.

All I really want to add here is that these 2 programs integrate better than anything could ever possibly integrate.

If you have them both installed on your computer, you only open Record, and you have EVERYTHING from record and reason. So all the reason synths+effects, records sweet layout and mixer, etc etc.

The integration is completely amazing.

Interesting I'll have to try that out then xD.

I just want to add a few more comments.

Ive used both Reason and FL. Like other people have said, everybody has their preferences. Like I personally cant stand FL's interface because it feels cluttered to me (like how reason seems cluttered to Blue Magic), and I also don't like the loop based nature of FL, I like to see my track in a linear form rather than a loop based form.

Also, again the combination of Record and Reason is literally seamless.

As far as I understand it, Propellerheads keeps Reason and Record strictly proprietary (no VST's allowed) because of how the software is built. Propellerheads prides themselves on how extremely CPU efficient Reason/Record is, and trust me, it is AMAZINGLY CPU efficient compared to FL.

Eventually, yes I will admit I missed being able to use VST's, so I opted out for the compromise. I use Ableton Live as my main DAW and rewire record/reason in to it so I have the best of both worlds.

Like everybody has been saying, is really all about preference. I have seem some amazingly professional stuff come out of FL and from Reason. Its all about how you use it and what suits you.

I started making music using Reason and it was really fun, and taught me a lot about concepts like signal routing, effects chains, and mixing. The interface for Reason is actually quite good. The synthesizers make sense, it's easy to see where your signal paths are, and you can make some really, really awesome effects that I've yet to replicate in any other program I've used (you can do crazy stuff like mapping LFOs into another synth's pitch and then mapping that back into the other synth's LFO rate and you end up with synths that basically interact with each other.)

That all said, I moved on to using Logic Pro one day and I haven't really looked back. As DJP and others have said in this thread, the ability to use external plugins is extremely useful. I don't know if I would say 'essential' in quite the same way he did, but, depending on what kind of sound you want, you might simply be unable to recreate it in Reason (this goes especially for orchestral samples). Everyone else who's getting serious into music might be using Kontakt or East-West Symphony Orchestra or Omnisphere, but you can't because of your choice of program and sometimes it feels limiting.

However, it's quite possible to create lots of OC ReMix quality work with Reason alone with no need for anything else. If you're more about making music with what you've got, rather than purchasing new toys, then Reason is a great way to make music for years. Its sound is good, the samples and presets for Reason are a really good base to build an array of interesting sounds from, and with Record, you're able to integrate external sounds as well without a problem.

But if you've been using FLStudio for a while and enjoy it and don't see any reason to change (remember, Reason is an expensive program) then I don't see it being a good investment to get Reason. If all you want are different/better sounds you might be better off buying a 3rd party plugin.

• 5 years later...

go see for yourself Reason 8

Dont ever talk about record it dosent make any sense

The only thing really is reason dont take vst that evolve since the beginig but as now the same principle called RE

Wich rob papen made some there as is predator so it`s just a question of time

-Reason Really fast but for good sounding more work low cpu cost based on how you run it

and it get you closer to creativity and you never have a windows blocking your way

-Fruity, fast loop making, great tool for project and backing it up great sound a lot of free vst
But can crash and it take more cpu as you can not have 70vst running but reason can, anoying with all thoses window that you have o open close every single time you record with a midi keyboard. the you loose inspiration. but run vst that are far more powerfull than Mostly any reason sound.

And yes any omnisphere sound is reproductible in reason, just have the guts.

You realy need both

Otherwise for vst implementation as reason IS a vst use presonus studio one

Metal made with reason
https://soundcloud.com/magelorth-metal

Multi genre music with reason but the top 1st song is made with fruity
https://soundcloud.com/magelorth

And here a lots of free vst as more than 4000... For free
www.vst4free.com

Cheer, need both 3

I use FL Studio 9 and I used to have Reason a few years ago. I lost my software (or it might have been stolen) so, I never really got into it like FL. I was still in the process of learning how to work with Reason, so I never had a chance to see its full potential. At the time, I was just working with MIDIs. I was not remixing with it. But what I did notice was Reason comes with a HUGE bank of sounds of pretty decent quality right out the box, where you would have to search for better sounds for FL.

I prefer FL's interface to Reason's because it seems less cluttered to me. Maybe I'm just getting old or something, but I cant stand to see buttons and knobs and switches everywhere when I'm trying to work on music. Its kinda distracting. My dad, on the other hand swears by Reason. Its like the best thing he has ever used.

My suggestion is to try a demo first and see how you like it cause everybody has different taste.

If you have questions about Reason, I know Avaris might be able to help you. He is pretty good with it.

well i see that fruity as more button than reason seriously, but all thread here is about reason before the 7 so well it changed and anyhow you dont have the need for all button, you create the instrument you need save as a basic starter module then you compose without having to open close windows all the time, I find fruit fare more clogged and slow to create full song