*NO* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 'UnderWater'

djpretzel

==================================================================

ReMixer: ilp0

Name: Ilari Nieminen

Email: ilari.nieminen@cs.helsinki.fi

Web: www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/isniemin

Game: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES 1989)

Original score: Keizo Nakamura, Konami

Original-like midi (couldn't find the real thing):

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/tmnt-und.mid

==================================================================

TMHT has exellent, rocking and fully remixable score and I just had to make this bit progressive rock-style remix from the underwater stage music.

Man I hated that level in TMNT. :cry: That whole game was hard though; farthest I ever got was beating MekaTurtle and getting to the fourth world. Meh.

Anyway. Yeah it's fairly close to the original. I think that sometimes the piece just gets too crowded; there's not much attention paid to balance here. Drums and guitar and everything else; they're all vying for my attention, but I don't know what to listen to. 2:02 is a pretty nice section, but unfortunately the whole piece is kind of washed out and muddy sounding.

Crazy drumming like that usually only works when you have a real drummer; that's uber sequenced and overly complicated. Tone it back a bit.

NO

When I turned 9, we went to a store that sold video game and my mom let my brother and I have our choice of one new NES game. We considered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers. After a lengthy deliberation, we decided to go with Chip 'n Dale. Now we all know Chip 'n Dale for the NES was the hotness. But for years, I always wondered...what if we bought TMNT instead? Would I have enjoyed that perceivably cooler game more?

The answer...was no. TMNT was fucking hard.

The shortcomings with this mix have already been covered. The mastering in particular is non-existent. This is a decent effort on the MIDI side, but I thought the melody actually sounded worse here than in the NES game. Not a good sign. I actually liked the percussion sequencing here. Hell, if this had at least some average samples or live instruments, this would be something to check out, at least to here it a couple of times. But you could say that for a lot of otherwise decent MIDIs. Check out the ReMixing forum here, ilp0, to see how you can improve your game.

NO

Oh, man. Memories! I love this game.

Definately a lot of arrangement in this track. I really like how it was put together. Later on medleyed with the good ole title theme.

Everything is good about this song except two major points:

1. Production, everything is lo-fi and grungy. If I want to turn up the volume, the bass floods everything out. Gotta go for that clear sound in the higher registers and focus more attention on mastering and sound quality.

2. Arrangement/Drums. Arrangement provides lots of variation, but its not perticularly good variation. It kinda just fumbles all over the place. Drums are cumbersome and rough. Better samples/mastering would help, but really it needs to be done better.

NO