Your mom

Rozovian

My mom, whom has broad musical tastes, heard many of the remixes on this site and gave advanced critique, both positive and negative. She had much to say about a few of the Sonic and Street Fighter remixes that were posted on here years ago. My brothers, musicians as well as musically diverse, like quite a few of the remixes on here, so they don't mind, as long as they are theoretically substantial and stylistically unique (basically... good). My father pretty much liked anything with a good beat and orchestration, excluding any cheesy, happy techno or harsh rock.

Oh, and my whole family fell over laughing about Team Gato. I mean, who wouldn't?

My parents like some of OCR tracks, but they're not very fans of VGM.

Likewise - Graylightning, DiggiDis, VampireHunterDan, and djpretzel all have songs that have met with my parents' approval. Aside from that, they're not much for videogames - they barely tolerated me playing games when I was a child, even.

what does one have to do with the other

One negates the potency of the other, of course. ;)

Well, my parents can't get into any sort of game music (they can't stand the fake sound); my mom will try to get into the arrangement side of things if I show it to her, but she's usually not that interested. My dad latches onto random songs he hears, but on the whole is not too interested either. He prefers more 'standard' genres, I suppose.

One brother (the one who hangs out on TF2, icuragoose) likes a lot of game music and mixes, but on a pick and choose basis. My other brother pretty much resists liking any but very specific songs; he's a Disneyite, unfortunately.

Friends hear OCRemix playing and call it 'Nathan Music' and attempt to shut it off immediately. Funny thing? My bro plays the same music, and they'll listen to it. It's all a matter of what you think it is, I suppose.

I load my mom's iPod up with all sorts of OCRemix stuff. I sent her the whole Serious Monkey Business album recently and she dug a lot of it, especially Joshua Morse, Patrick Burns, and Sole Signal's stuff. In general she's a big fan of a lot of the remixes I get from this site. The cool thing is that she actually recognizes the source for a lot of the songs I send her because she used to do a fair amount of gaming herself.

My dad affectionately refers to everything that comes off of the site as "elevator music" just to spite me :-P I referred him to Gecko Yamori's "Elevator Music" from Project Chaos and got a good laugh. Deep down I can tell he appreciates it though :-)

Friends hear OCRemix playing and call it 'Nathan Music' and attempt to shut it off immediately. Funny thing? My bro plays the same music, and they'll listen to it. It's all a matter of what you think it is, I suppose.

Kinda the same situation here. I'll have something playing in the car and a family member will ask what it is, saying it's kinda cool. The second I tell them it's video game related somehow it's instantly disregarded as crap.

Bastards

As for my Mom. She doesn't really understand it, but feigns interest for my benefit. She sometimes remembers to ask me if any remix albums have come out that I've been listening to lately. That always kinda throws me, lol.

The second I tell them it's video game related somehow it's instantly disregarded as crap.

This is what happens with the people I know at dance. I played a few tracks from OCR for my ballet teacher, Two of Pot Hocket's tracks and Quickening (Faraway Promise) by Avaris and Level 99. She said she loved them and asked who they were by so she could get them off of iTunes. I explained how she wouldn't find them there because they were remixes of songs from video games from this site, and that they couldn't be sold. I saw her intrest die away the second I said video games.

My mom's pushing 60 and she's got a variety of tastes, from classic Spanish ballads to Pitbull, and have found her bobbing my head to some trance and dubstep I was playing. Oddly enough I haven't played any OCR music in front of her, but her reaction wouldn't probably be much different.

My brother loved Nekofrog's early WIP of King K. Rool's battle and asked that I get it into his iPod, but he's also been into some electronica and like the other OCR mixes I've showned him. But he's big into video games (Nintendo mostly) so it shouldn't come as a big surprise to me.