For those who've played Demon's Crest and MMX4

predcon

Just because it's in the same continuity doesn't not make it a spinoff.

Joey is a spin-off of Friends, and yet it still takes place in the same universe

Likewise, X, Zero, Legends, etc are all spinoffs of the original series.

I don't even know how this argument happened. predcon got his terms mixed up and I just pointed out that MM7 is not a spinoff.

You just pointed out how I DIDN'T get my "terms mixed up". In the strictest sense of the word, and after splitting many hairs, isn't a sequel in itself a spin-off? In fact, sometimes a sequel has nothing to do with the game before it, like Far Cry and Far Cry 2. Where was Mr. Carver in the "sequel"?

A sequel doesn't have to take place immediately after it's predecessor, nor does it need to have the same characters. As long as it takes place along the same timeline, and after the game preceding it, it qualifies as a sequel. Spinoff =/= sequel. For some more proof, have this.

se·quel /ˈsikwəl/

–noun

a literary work, movie, etc., that is complete in itself but continues the narrative of a preceding work.

spin-off /ˈspɪnˌɔf, -ˌɒf/

–noun

any product that is an adaption, outgrowth, or development of another similar product.

With those two definitions, keep this in mind. In order for a sequel to be a sequel, it only needs to be along the same timeline and keep in the same universe. A spinoff needs to be either concurrent to or immediately following the original product,There are similarities, but by no mean are they the same. Yes, the Mega Man series does share characters, but since they aren't concurrent or immediately after each other, they aren't spinoffs. With the exception of the Battle Network/Star Force timeline which IS a spinoff, the rest of the games are along the same timeline. And therefore they are sequels to the preceding series.

In short, since all the series can be self-contained yet continue the narratives of the preceding series (with the exception of BN->SF), they are sequels. They are not spinoffs, since spinoffs are not self-contained.

You guys are STILL talking about continuation stuff?

If you're gonna spectate, keep your mouth shut.

My point is that a sequel is by it's very nature a spin-off, but a spin-off isn't necessarily a sequel. It's like the Star Trek movies. Every movie after "The Motion Picture" is considered a "sequel" but they don't all arc over one storyline, with the exception of the end of Wrath of Kahn and the beginning of Search for Spock, but that's about it.