Super Mario RPG Medley - WIP

Tydin

I posted this remix in the past but that was in the understanding that it was going to be a all round Mario Medly, Now the song is purely focused on the Super Mario RPG Soundtrack and will remain that way untill it is finished- I hope no one minds this but I wanted to make it clear that this is now a single game focused song :puppyeyes:

Now for the Remix - I spent ALOT of time working on the reverb so I'm hoping this shows. Also the velocity, but this I'm sure still needs work!:sleepdepriv:

I'm not sure if the bass should be an octave higher as well?

PLEASE! I want HARD Critique, be honest, Yes I'm new to remixing with major software but I NEED to learn:tomatoface:

Also suggestions for what melodies to add to it are MORE then welcome. After the "Lets Play Geno!" I plan to add a softer Piano solo of "Merry More" so suggetions for after would be great.

stats.png

If you take the time to listen, take the time to comment please.

So far the songs that are included are -

< Forest Maze

< Let's Play Geno!

< Mushroom Kingdom

Note that I am always after someone to collab with and if you think you COULD ADD SOMETHING SPECIAL to this song, please let me know, Comment below or PM me.

personally , I really like where it's going right now

as for more songs...SMRPG is my favourite game and has one of my favourite game soundtracks so I'll suggest a few:

Monstro Town:

< this would probably be easy to fit in with the style you seem to be going for

Let's Do the Fluff-Fluff (Nimbus Land):

< also might be able to easily fit in

Smithy Battle 1:

< epic

Factory:

< also just epic

Goodbye Geno, Dreams Through Window Stars:

< my personal favourite

Happy Parade, Delightful Parade:

This made me smile hugely. I love SMRPG and I like where this is going. Compositionally the arrangement is pretty solid, I haven't got much to add. Can't wait to hear where you take it.

My two absolute favourite SMRPG tunes are this one

(ought to fit right in) and the Trouble Ahead music (which I just couldn't find on Youtube) http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Trouble_2.mid

But anyway, let's talk production:

- I'm liking the samples and the reverb. Still could use some humanising with regard to the dynamics/velocities, particularly on the piano. Note timings too. Still sounds slightly 'sequenced', timings are too perfect.

- I think the bass is probably fine in the octave it's in, it just needs more presence. :)

- This may be a personal thing, but the drums are a bit wet for my taste. Especially with so much reverb on the bass drum it makes it sound like the whole percussion section is swimming in it. Maybe consider taking a little bit of reverb off the bass as well. When the drums kick in, they don't really have enough body for me. I'm sure somebody else might disagree, though. Your snare sample is really nice, by the way. I like it.

Really looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)

• 1 month later...

Yep, 00:58 is all that's there. Must have cut off during the upload.

Anyway, your sound has improved a lot, man. Nice. :D

Dunno what sound you're going for, but you've got an okay sound here already. You could thin the piano a bit, drop its mids some. Maybe you should carve in all the tracks' eq so they're more clearly separated, not that tracks bleeding together is much of a problem here.

The weird whiny soft animal-bark-like synth has some clashing notes. Bass works where it is, but EQ-ing its first overtones louder wouldn't hurt - should make it easier to discern. Lowerings its lows, around the fundamentals, should get you more room to work with and further make the bass writing easier to discern.

Reverb sounds pretty good, more spacey in the intro but things fall into place when the drums come in. Well done. Some snare notes seem way louder than others, even those out so you have a more regular rhythm on the snare.

Arrangement feels a bit empty, some chords covering the mid range wouldn't hurt. If you can write some jazzy comping with the piano you should have the whole range filled adequately.

Nice work man, keep at it. :D

Well I guess I'll shoot a review as well. I like the song choice (sucks that it's mega short). I have to disagree with The Radical Sifu on this one and say that the bass is probably too heavy for the track. I think the kick is a little heavy as well (The effects don't help it). It seems like what an 80 rock kit would sound like, but your covering and upbeat Mario track. The other instruments are decently done, but a few glare out a little. These should seems pretty clear (Intro piano, horn patch just after). I can't give a full review without being able to download the song (I would make it available, as this is very obviously a cover, so I doubt people would steal it from you). Other than that, I look forward to seeing where the track goes.