*NO* Final Fantasy 'Prelude to Fantasy'

Palpable

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Archangel

Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )

Your email address: jaka.cibej (at) gmail (dot) com

Your website: /

Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy

Name of individual song(s) arranged: The Prelude

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): /

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): /

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

I got the idea for this remix while on a bus driving home. It's basically my first real remix (I usually just altered the instrumentation of MIDI files and made a better-sounding version of the song). The Prelude from Final Fantasy has always been one of my favourite songs, so I simply had to make my own rendition of it.

I made the remix in FL Studio using various sound libraries (EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, EWQL RA, EWQL Stormdrum) and some soundfonts and VST plugins. I think the result is a pretty cool soundtrackish version of the Prelude, I hope people will enjoy listening to it at least half as much as I did remixing it.

Thank you very much for running such a wonderful site!

Best wishes

J.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUtfA71kvk

I like the way this mix is put together, the sound is clean and spacious. In addition, it's clear that Jaka has put some effort into adding some detail and dynamics. However, I don't think those differences really add up, they're all too slight. It sounds like a lush cover of the original song. On that basis, gotta NO. In addition, the song doesn't really ramp up as much as it sounds like it should once the choir comes in.

NO

I think the addition of a second part to "The Prelude" only started at FF4, but I'd need to look into that more.

Well, the melody of the opening notes is certainly interpreted into this crystalline flourish of piano. Structurally, it could be more interpretive, but this seems like a reasonable expansive take, with the instrumental variation (1:06, then 2:13), choir, heartbeat drums, and expanded piano writing. I thought the overall feel of the piece was modified enough to be something we could work with. I'm open to other opinions. Given the submitting artist's history of song creation, we might need to research existing MIDIs. Tentatively...

YES

It's really close, but i'm going to side with Larry here, the way the piano is presented gives this a very unique feel. I'm not sure what is delayed, and what is added notes, if any, but it's really cool. The structure is verbatim, but there are new instruments and subtle harmonies, and some flourishes and some personalization. I'm not going to say this is the most radical departure of a remix, but it certainly made a classic song sound fresh to me.

Yes

Going to have to weigh in on the NO side on this. Aside from the cool stuff on the piano at the beginning and the heartbeat drums, I don't think there is anything of this that I have not heard before in some way. I don't even think the counter-melodies are original.

I can say that this is a lush cover, and it is really nice to listen to, but I'm not hearing enough personalization in this to make it a remix.

NO

• 1 month later...