*NO* Marathon 'Leela'

djpretzel

I would like to submit the following song:

email:

craig@eigenhat.com

All the current remixes can be found at:

All songs available are part of my remix project of the original Marathon One (Bungie, 1994) in-game soundtrack. I hope you enjoy them, and thank you for taking the time to listen to one or all of them.

Sincerely,

Craig Hardgrove

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't get any of the old-school Macintosh/QuickTime-formatted MIDIs (the only source material I could find on the net) to work on my comp, so thanks a lot to haveblue of halo.bungie.org's #hbo channel for hooking me up with an MP3 of the MIDI source material.

The ambiance here is generally pretty cool, and vastly thickened up compared to the source. You can hear some very, very light original/rearrangement countermelody added underneath (:41-51). There's not a huge amount of overt/in-your-face development over the course of the three minutes with this fairly minimalistic track, though that's obviously not the point with this piece. Upon active listening, I noticed that sounds in the front are gradually changing and shifting around, so for an ambient piece with a subtle approach, there is certainly tangible development to be observed.

The light percussion is more subdued compared to the source tune, but that's still exactly the same sound and timing as from Alex Seropian's original MIDI. These lil' tambourine shots may have had awkward timing and flimsiness in the "Leela" original, but there's no real reason I can see to leave things that way, even in homage. The progression of the MIDI strings in Seropian's original (:00-:20 / source) was minimized into the bass thumps and subtle bass pad here, which wasn't a bad idea also.

2:18-2:30 of the mix (some light synth work) was largely shaped by 2:47-3:05 from the source. There are certainly some new/altered ideas going on here in the structure and the texture that all sound fairly good, so this isn't just a cover, but at the same time I'm having a hard time seeing the foundations here as much beyond the reinstrumented MIDI. With an ambient piece like this being somewhat harder to grasp, I'd rather not make a vote without more input, so I'll see what others have to say here and make a judgement based on some further insight.

EDIT: I've got no problem with the panel's decision. There's certainly nothing inherently wrong with an ambient approach, but anything that could be done with the track to give it something more tangible from a rearrangement perspective (i.e. keeping some elements/structure of the original, yet making the inclusion of new ideas rather than sounds more apparent) would make it more likely to pass. - NO