*NO* Legend of Mana 'Morphland'

djpretzel

email sub file prievert_LOM_Morphland.mp3 - djp

Hi,

so you weren't exactly awestruck by "ff11 memory Accurange"?

Can't imagine why... ;-)

BTW did you recieve my Xenosaga-Pain-Remix? I sent it 2 weeks ago but didn't get an automated reply...

Attached to this mail is a remix of Yoko Shimomuras title theme to Squaresofts "Legend of Mana". (I won't post a link to the original here... I don't want to encourage all that illegal download stuff..., but you probably know what it sounds like anyway)

Most of this Remix is rather loosely based on the original; I transformed the intro melody into an arpeggio, layering it with selfmade melodies... Only the first break part stays close to the original, the rest is more or less "inspired by"

(The chord sequence in part 2 is very loosely based on Yuzo Koshiros Bison-Remix from the Street Fighter Tribute Album, and in the very end there are some melodic references to Xenosaga.)

Just in case the ID3 Tag got crapped in the transfer process...

Legend of Mana- Morphland

OV c 1999: Yoko Shimomura/Square

RMX c 2004:

Best Regards,

Alexander Prievert

PS: Next Submission: a "real" remix of the FF11 Title Theme... I'm not going to give this one up just yet...:-) ..

• 2 weeks later...

I like the piano breakdown parts a lot more than the uptempo bits. There is something quite important missing here, and that is a kick drum. I know it was deliberate, but I find that it takes a lot of energy from a mix. The ending - what ending? I had to check my winamp because it just stopped suddenly. While this may pass, it doesn't work for me at all.

NO

Main problems:

First part is very minimal with 2.5 minutes of looping a 12 second segment.

When it does finally change into softer instruments, the progression basical falls into better instrumentation with piano and strings, but with many messy sections like 3:20.

Song picks up again and gets much better for a while, but is plauged with messy instrumentation again like 4:40 and 5:00.

Slows down again, with more off notes and mess around 5:20.

I liked the idea and would have YESed this if all the notation issues were fixed. Please fix them and I'll Fall Through this song.

NO

Prot: Alex sent you his sheet music? :P:roll:

Personally I like the buildup to 2:20; nice stuff there. Piano section sounds a lot like the original; not much changed except it's got less emotion. :P Seems kind of plunky. I would have enjoyed it more if you went for something fresher.

However, the rest of the mix is not bad at all. Nice textures and stuff.

I like it!

YES

neat. this sounds pretty good, the contrast contrast between the piano break and other dancy stuff is delightful.

like he says, a lot of the remix is 'inspired' by the original but there is a recognizable semblance with the arpeggios and the piano part is mostly the same as the original.

some parts of this remind me of skaven's old stuff, actually.

i'd say it's passable in its current form.

yes

Though I had nothing wrong with the repetitive structure of the buildup Alex used here for the 2-minute intro, I felt the delivery could have been a lot stronger as it relates to trance work. For example, the quiet clap that joins in at :41 sounded weak enough that it detracted from the overall package (while on the other hand the string-like ambiance worked very well). The other supporting elements are all pretty flat/unenergetic. Things at least got a better with the brief drum usage from 2:06-2:20, and I would have liked to have heard more sounds like the one used for the lead in that section within other areas of the mix.

The piano sounded nice but was essentially a direct copy of the original (:30-1:21) from 2:43-3:25, only less emotive like DarkeSword pointed out. The rest of the arrangement makes up for that though, as Alex essentially surrounded that area with his own trance stuff, but I still don't like the fact that it doesn't take much effort to simply pull a MIDI and use it for that piano section. Small detail, but there's not much behind the cymbal that comes in near the end either; the tinny cymbal shots at 4:23 sounded exposed despite being so low in volume and came off as really amateur-ish.

I feel like this is almost there as I really think the arrangement is there, but this sounds more like a late-stage WIP and thus I'm inclined to agree with Malcos in the "lack of energy" department. Just add a bit more meat to the trance work to give it some life, and I'd be down. It's a decent genre adaptation as is, and I'd hate to see this get dropped.

NO (borderline)

Well I think protricity and liontamer have pretty much summed up my views on this mix. (Except the notation term part). :lol:

Nice mix, but way too overdrawn, especially in the beginning and there's too many questionable notes for my taste. I do like the trance section later on when it develops. I suggest building on that or making the piece shorter and focusing on the best parts of the mix. Also I found the mix really muddy - especially those saws.

Borderline No.