*NO* Legend of Mana 'Nova Eclipse'

djpretzel

Email sub file Lyco - Nova Eclipse.mp3 - djp

Hello all at ocremix.org

First of all, allow me to apologize for sending my mp3 as an attachment.

I have fully read your submission guild lines and understand that your judges would prefer an Internet link where my Remix could be found at, but I decided to make some subtle changes to this Remix, meaning that any link would lead you to an outdated (and in my opinion, worse) version of the Remix.

When it all comes down to it, I'd rather put my best foot forward.

but ANYWAY, I'm Lyco <-----my ReMixer name

I'm fairly new to remixing, having only started in mid June of this year. The song I'm submitting is my 7th song, here are the specs:

Song Title: Nova Eclipse

Game: Legend of Mana

Bitrate: 128

Length: 4'03

Genre: Dance/Techno

Composer: Yoko Shimomura

Orig. Song Title: The Darkness Nova

Since I noticed you didn't have section for Legend of Mana, here is the game info:

Legend of Mana

Made by: Squaresoft

Year released: 2000

Platform: Playstation

All music done by: Yoko Shimomura

I hope you enjoy my Remix, and even if you don't put it on the site I'd love some constructive criticism from pros like you guys!

Keep on mixing!

----Lyco

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/LoM_psf.rar - 123 The Darkness Nova

The synth guitar strums here are really sparse, though the drums at :28 helped thicken things up. Nonetheless, the lead melody is very atonal/flat in the delivery and lacks presence over the synth guitar stuff, and that kills this one immediately.

The rearrangement isn't particularly engaging either, and lacks significant development & energy throughout. Better luck next crime.

NO

Mixing and compositional issues throughout as cited already. I don't feel the style of sounds as a whole blends well together either from a textural, component point of view. The arrangement is lacking and could do with more work. I like the second half, and yes I like the synth bell section. I would suggest working on this more as I definitely can hear a lot of potential here with some more attention and polish.

NO

yes on submission email. nice work.

but as for the remix it's clearly lacking in a number of areas.

the way the melody doesn't cut above the supporting components, the effortless transitions as instruments leave and enter, and the repetitious nature of the piece as a whole.

i do like that unrelenting metallic sound, though.

no

Nonetheless, the lead melody is very atonal/flat in the delivery

i would not say this is atonal if you're trying to say the melody is flat in the delivery -- as atonal is used to describe melodic components that are devoid of a central key. (see your local jewish expressionist composer for an example!)

can't bug prot about proper use of 'notation' on one hand and let you get away with something similar on the other :P

Nonetheless, the lead melody is very atonal/flat in the delivery

i would not say this is atonal if you're trying to say the melody is flat in the delivery -- as atonal is used to describe melodic components that are devoid of a central key. (see your local jewish expressionist composer for an example!)

can't bug prot about proper use of 'notation' on one hand and let you get away with something similar on the other :P

No problem, bro. As the complete non-musician/non-theorist, I don't intend to overstep my bounds. Of course, now I'll have a bunch of people cite me as being unqualified for this job. :-) Let's just say "flat like warm soda." Preferably the generic/store-brand type of soda.