Minecraft [1.7.2/4?]

Gollgagh

Multiplay seems to work alot better for me on my laptop compared to my desktop. I was getting some really bad lag when nobody else was. But I would rather play MC on my desktop.

What can I do to improve the performance on my desktop?

What are your desktop & laptop specs?

Whatever your desktop has less of is probably the issue

What are your desktop & laptop specs?

Whatever your desktop has less of is probably the issue

Well, the only difference is the desktop's processor (Intel Core 2 Duo 1.82 GHz, 4 GB RAM) is a bit slower than my laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, T6400), and of course, the desktop has a graphics card and sound card installed in it (which I thought would help). Both of them are running Windows 7 the only thing is, my laptop is a 64-bit and the desktop is 32-bit. Other than that, everything is the same. I just have different antivirus programs running on them. The laptop is basically a backup copy of my desktop.

The desktop runs MC fine in single player, so I'm hoping there is something I can tweak to make it run better in multiplayer. I might need to check for updates for Java, but thats the only thing I can think of. MC is also using an fuckton of resources (over 500,000 K). Does it really have to take up so much?

THE FUCK HAPPENED TO ALL OF MY CRAP AND STUFF!!

WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE MY ALL OF MY STUFF AND AMAZING THlNGS?

Its all been deleted Brush. Its gone. Forever. And you are still banned.

Everybody else connects to a world full of their stuff.

Dont read any of my posts, the MOTD, etc

Its probably lies

what in the world is going on?

also, cool on the server being in San Antonio, lived there, been to The Alamo 3 times. good times.

Well, the only difference is the desktop's processor (Intel Core 2 Duo 1.82 GHz, 4 GB RAM) is a bit slower than my laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, T6400), and of course, the desktop has a graphics card and sound card installed in it (which I thought would help). Both of them are running Windows 7 the only thing is, my laptop is a 64-bit and the desktop is 32-bit. Other than that, everything is the same. I just have different antivirus programs running on them. The laptop is basically a backup copy of my desktop.

The desktop runs MC fine in single player, so I'm hoping there is something I can tweak to make it run better in multiplayer. I might need to check for updates for Java, but thats the only thing I can think of. MC is also using an fuckton of resources (over 500,000 K). Does it really have to take up so much?

the desktop's processor is faster than the laptop's processor thanks to a better FSB, actually. common misconception.

sound card makes no difference. i don't think i've ever actually put a sound card in a PC i built :< graphics card should help with some acceleration, but as a whole MC is cpu-based, with little gpu acceleration.

it uses 500mb of ram because it doesn't have an install - it's gotta load everything it uses into the ram. if/when they build an installer, it'll be much less.

Interesting:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=120160

Basically, it's an optimizer that speeds up the loading and saving of chunks when moving around the world. Seems a little buggy for a few people at the moment, but it might help improve performance on the server even more if it works for us. Might want to look into it, or have Multiplay look into it and see if they can get it working with the servers. I have some worry about future updates breaking it, but that's not for me to decide on.

it uses 500mb of ram because it doesn't have an install - it's gotta load everything it uses into the ram. if/when they build an installer, it'll be much less.

A Minecraft installer won't fix the huge memory footprint, notch and his team need to sit down and redo how resources are loaded, i.e. not loading everything under the sun when they might need it. Then again, there are a number of things that have to be completely overhauled.

A Minecraft installer won't fix the huge memory footprint, notch and his team need to sit down and redo how resources are loaded, i.e. not loading everything under the sun when they might need it. Then again, there are a number of things that have to be completely overhauled.

not having to load and leave things in memory will be fixed when there's a real install. they'll be able to dump stuff from chunks that are farther away and not continue to leave them in the memory.

Minecraft does technically install stuff. Look in %user%/Application Data/.minecraft

About 40MB worth of stuff, not including any extra texture packs or offline game worlds

Its honestly more so about being completely unoptimised and very poorly coded...

The game can't even run multiple instances on non-SSDs, for example.

not having to load and leave things in memory will be fixed when there's a real install. they'll be able to dump stuff from chunks that are farther away and not continue to leave them in the memory.

That has nothing to do with a proper install/er though and everything to do with a poorly designed piece of software. A proper installer may help with the footprint on the hard drive, but given the fact that most of the current files are minecraft specific, it won't do much. Since minecraft is more or less feature complete, notch and his team can go back and fix problems like the way chunks are loaded/unloaded and in doing so, fix the ridiculous memory usage.

I don't know if you saw this yet or not, Crowbar, but hey0 has announced he will no longer be updating hMod once the replacement mod is available. And that replacement mod is...

Bukkit.

Also, according to the Bukkit team, hey0 was very inefficient, making servers running it much less responsive than they otherwise would have been. So maybe once the switch over is done on our server (assuming Multiplay approves it), we'll see a performance boost.

Multiplay was SUPPOSE to have my backup ready today, but i switched to the worldname they gave me and it just generated a new world, so i dont know what they've done. Waiting for a responce for the ticket, AGAIN :/

Multiplay will be switching to Bukkit as soon as its mature enough, one of the members of Bukkit is actually a member of Multiplay as well, and Bukkit has some hmod team members too.

Hey0 wont stop until Bukkit is released, so we should be good

Phal: Post in THIS thread! PM is just so i know your MC name if you dont want to post it in the thread, but you still have to ask to be whitelisted and voted in by someone in this thread.

Edited by Crowbar Man

The old world is restored!

I have mobs and damage turned off until I get home

I deleted abadoss arm so next map will be a bit smaller

I also deleted all of brushes stuff and unbanned him but set it so he cannot set blocks and just spins in circles and cries

Wait so the place that was originally Brushfire's at spawn that I took over had been deleted..?

:banghead:

I was actually hoping for a reroll but this is fine too...

So most of you know I'm making a fortress town on the server. Well, what's a fortress without a fully functional defense?

Introducing the first of the fortress TNT cannons!

cannon1.th.jpg

cannon2.th.jpg

cannoncontrol.th.jpg

One down... not sure how many to go. And I think I'm going to be experimenting with the firing mechanisms and construction a bit for the next few. See if I can get something a little more flexible on my own.