Recreating the Gameboy Style

Yes, yes, I'm sure this could be Googled, but I'm sure some of you guys will be somewhat confident writing in this 'style' already. Basically I've been writing pseudo NES chiptunes for ages and am pretty familiar with the whole instrumental set-up (two pulse waves, one triangle wave etc). I really wanted to know what does the Gameboy 'do' soundwise, how does it do it and any tips on recreating it. Would be very much appriciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

i doubt you'll find a good emulation of the wave channel in any of those plugins. the wave channel is kind of what makes the game boy sound.

the 2 pulse waves and the noise channel are pretty much like in the NES (except you can hardpan them).

the "pooBoy" demo at least doesn't really sound like a gameboy. too clean.

sorry, but i think you'll have to go hardware if you want to make actual game boy music. for NES music, famitracker is definitely close enough, but i don't know of anything in pluginland that does justice to the game boy.

if you wanna go full hipster, get your old dot matrix gameboy and flash LSDJ onto a cartridge.

then get an emo haircut and some tight clothes, neon sneakers and you're good to go. remember to fist pumps as they will make your music sound better too

actually LSDJ is pretty fun to use you don't have to be a hipster to use it

There is also Nanoloop

if you wanna go full hipster, get your old dot matrix gameboy and flash LSDJ onto a cartridge.

then get an emo haircut and some tight clothes, neon sneakers and you're good to go. remember to fist pumps as they will make your music sound better too

actually LSDJ is pretty fun to use you don't have to be a hipster to use it

And don't forget to name your tracks stuff like "Dry-humping my Nintendo" or "Mario goes to a rave"

Chiptunes more like hiptunes

but i think you'll have to go hardware if you want to make actual game boy music.

Yeah, this is what I expected. Ah well, I doubt I'll be shelling out on a cartridge for a single project. : ( Also the hipster advice was fantastic. I'll be getting a pair of neon sneakers asap. (Although, it'll never be as cool as those light-up sneakers you could buy as a kid. They had LEDs in the heels and everything.)