OCR02268 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 'Memories of a Master'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: Captain Hogan

User ID: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=38276

Game Arranged: Street Fighter

Song Arranged: Ken's Theme Song

I've been hearing a lot of rock versions of this track, and occasionally some electronic or folk-like versions of this song, but I have never heard a jazz version. The song is way to good in those chords to have nobody do it justice in that sense, so this was my attempt at the jazz version of the song. All of the instruments (guitar, bass, drums) are done by me.

ken's theme can be found on youtube. If you don't know it, you can no longer be a judge.

Really interesting idea to take Ken's theme on a jazzy journey, as seriously, it just demands to rock so much, it takes a true master to resist the call. Style-wise, this is just what the theme needed, as the source is so familiar with so many people, that hearing it in this context is really fresh and cool.

The guitar tones were great, and the drums and bass were serviceable, and kept the track grounded. They weren't especially exciting on their own, but had small nuances that kept them interesting enough as role players.

I do wish that a few more liberties were taken beyond just a style conversion, because a solo added would have been the icing on the cupcake, and would have made this decision a lot easier. As is, I need to agonize about it for awhile, because beyond the genre shift and a few minor melodic ornaments, it's pretty close to the original. Being swung definitely gives it a point in it's favor, but I think that having a little bit more of your own personality thrown in would be a much stronger track.

I'm alright voting yes on this, but next track, don't be afraid to add some more spice. :-)

(borderline) Yes

I, Deia, hereby do submit my resignation for position as Judge. Due to lack of prior knowledge, I was unable to meet the unwritten requirements for the position, and thus had to do extra research upon evaluating this submission. Furthermore, the transition to jazz style, while impressive, lent the track a cool new edge that is unexpected, yet pleasant. However, the simple bass-line and drum sequencing led the track to feel a bit empty overall, causing my failure in knowledge to be that more biting. Similarly, the lack of additional material and expansion on the track thus makes it feel a bit too much like a cover, and requesting further expansion is now beyond my abilities. Production seems to meet the standards that I am no longer able to apply.

Therefore, with the information provided above, I hereby do wish the Judges Panel luck in their future endeavors, and hope that I may one day rejoin their ranks.

Signed,

NO (resubmit)

Definitely not seeing this as a cover. The melody line has a different, way more laidback rhythm, and there are extra notes littered throughout. The backing guitar has some great original lines. The weak spot here is the drums but even then, I thought there was just enough effort put into them that they didn't sound lazy. I'd like a couple tweaks on this: 1) take down that bass a little bit, it cramps the song on certain notes, and 2) center the lead guitar on the first iteration. Neither of these are must-fixes but are two-second fixes that would improve it.

YES

Points for the concept. Points off for the boomy mid-low end. The bass is especially muddy in the 100-200Hz range.

I love the lead guitars, both the tone and the performance. The rhythm guitar however, is somewhat clumsy. The voicings and rhythms aren't fantastic. I can't really call that a dealbreaker because it's not terrible, and that's clearly where you're at right now; you're not going to get way better rhythm chops for a resubmit. I would ask however that you tighten up the drum part. The rhythm is just really loose, and the mix is really odd for the genre.

NO

Gotta EQ that bass, tighten the drum part, more ambience perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

It's true, this theme really doesn't get much love outside of rock. Props for taking a new approach. From a production standpoint this one is a little weak; the drums sound completely mono with no spaciousness at all, and a very dull/weak tone. Those really need to be replaced or at least re-mixed and re-processed (ride is quite loud for instance.) The whole mix could use some compression to boost up the average volume as it's hard to make out some of the parts without turning up my volume. The bass IS a bit on the boomy side but it's not that big of a deal. I would recommend more verb on the guitars as well.

When the mix ended, I was really surprised. No soloing? No B-section? No rhythmic changes? You had a pretty nice groove going, but then it just stopped. I would definitely take this concept and really expand on it; pick up the pace of the rhythms at some point in the track, add some solos, vary up the chords (you stuck very closely to the original chords), etc. There's a lot of under-utilized potential here.

NO, resub

• 2 months later...

Chill as hell, great approach. A nice solo or two would definitely have hit the spot, but arrangement-wise this is fine. That bass is wow huge though, it's really distracting. Drums could be punched up a bit too, but that bass definitely needs to be pushed back.

YES (conditional on bass)

The drums were a bit weak, but OK, and the timing was a bit off to start. There was also areas of buziness almost coming off as distortion in the low-end, which is unfortunate on the production side. Due to the slow tempo, the arrangement only finally picked up around 2:00 with only 60 seconds left, so there honestly didn't feel like there was enough development here. I hate to sound like I don't like this, as it definitely has a lot of potential, but it feels half-finished, and lacked adequate polish. I like it, but I've gotta lean NO. Definitely take the good advice here to help tighten it up a bit.

• 1 month later...

loving the general vibe and arrangement, but the bass definitely needs to be toned down. the timing discrepancies bug me personally, but I can see that as intentional, somewhat in the vein of zyko's stuff. regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed this, but I'm inclined to go with CHz here, conditional on fixing the overpowered bass.

YES (conditional on bass)

Not feeling the exposed, unrealistic string pad from :15-:30, but it was pulled back a bit once the leads & rhythm arrived at :30. Props on the added development, expansion and personalization in the arrangement as well, Klaus, this was a very substantial upgrade, IMO. Now we're good to go. People should definitely be digging this.

YES