*NO* Metroid 'Brinstar Now and Then'

djpretzel

so, nearly nothing happens in the first minute. the remix is the original played half time over a fast drum groove. there is very little arrangement..the half time thing would be more interesting if the pads did something more interesting than play whole-note triads.

apart from that, there's no progression, the mix barely comes in at all before it sputters out again.

Needs lots of development.

NO

I actually thought this had a fair deal of promise before the drums came in - they're WAY too lofi, for one reason or another. Clearly, you have some idea of what you're doing in terms of sequencing and synthwork, but as Vig said, you need to focus on more development here. I think the level of arrangement is solid, but there needs to be more structure in one way or another. If you redo the percussion and perhaps add in more interesting leads (through porta, automation, fast sequencing, whatever), this could be a very cool mix. The break in the middle really sort of ruins things - it's pointless and doesn't add anything at all. A better transition would help, for sure.

You should probably ditch some of the panning things you have going on, like after the break with the drums and synth, since it's just irritating. Same goes for the white noise/wave effects. Building more on that flute section would be cool. When the annoyingly panned melody comes back in, rather than approaching a final climax, things basically peter out. Come on!

NO, but I'd really love to see a resubmission of this taking some of our advice into account.

I keep waiting for the percussion do defilter and bust out with some crazy ass big beat, but it never happens. The percussion track is just TOO lo-fi, and gets a bit loopy as well.

Sounds are nice though; like analoq said, they sound old-school. I don't mind 'em at all. However, what you do with them is another story. The structure and phrasing in this whole song is really boring. Everything is really low key and not very exciting. And I don't mean it's not loud; you can be quiet and still build a certain kind of intensity. This song lacks it.

Also, lay off a bit on the analog seashore sounds.

Rework the arrangement in terms of structure, and fix that percussion up. Not a lost cause, but still needs a lot of work. GO FOR THE GOLD!!!

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 3

Seriously, don't go that low-fi with the drums. I don't know how that would come across as anything but a very obvious disparity in sounds quality here.

Frankly, I really liked the arrangement of the melody when it was there. Straightforward and sparse though, aside from changing the notes a little.

The crashing wave were nice, but still didn't work well as a transition point to the following brief section (which actually sounded too much like the DKC Game Over jingle).

This got too reliant on the wave sounds to close it out and was too sparse on the arrangement work. You gotta be more. Keep on truckin' with this one.

NO