*WITHDRAWN* Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Symphonic Ballade'

djpretzel

Yo djp,

Here is a remix I've done of the windfish ballad on LoZ:LA. I submitted it about a year ago, and I never heard about it again after that ... presumably, the website I had it on went down, and I can only imagine that was before you got to it. The 2nd time was a couple months back, but I think I had submitted it too close to another submission. So, here I go again. If this was judged the very first time (which I highly doubt .. I looked and looked) then I apologize.

Remixer name: bladiator

email: bladiator@juno.com

Game: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Song: Windfish Ballad

This is the first remix I ever did, on request from a good friend who enjoys the site. He's the reason I first started checking out ocremix, and I at least want to give this a shot.

~Karl

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/zelda.zip - Track 47

Hearing some light hissing trailing many of the notes. The woodwind sample coming in at :38 sounded too dry, along with the other wind samples and/or layering work done. Need some more liveliness to the sounds.

The strings, introduced at :36 and picking up some volume later, also need some work to flow more smoothly. Not bad for a subdued supporting element, though for sections like 1:29-2:00 where the strings had to fill the sound a bit more prominently, they were a weak point.

The arrangement could have used a bit more variation to it moving into the melody once again at 2:00-2:52, then repreating a portion again from 2:53-3:13. There were some additions observed, but the dry wind instrument samples handling the brunt of the work dragged the additive efforts down for this section.

Even working with very unrealistic-sounding samples, more attention has to be paid to humanizing the performance aspect. That being said, I realize the piece is dated and one of Karl's earliest efforts as it relates to the community. (Fall-through next time!) If you're down Karl, I wouldn't mind seeing what else you could do for this, but otherwise feel this has a little ways to go.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

bladiator is a really talented individual.

however, his talent is obscured by this mediocre exectution.

the piano sounds alright but everything else, the woodwinds in particular, sound really mechanical and General MIDI.

this may deserve to be on ocr as-is, but i would prefer a resubmit of this one go on ocr rather than this one.

do some resequencing and get someone to record the woodwind parts with better samples.

no

the arrangement is awesome. i have heard handfuls of windfish arrangements and they all pretty much come short in every facet imaginable... all but one and that was a long time ago and well, lets just say it hasn't happened since. here, i hear several solid forays into jazz and to that effect, the track is magnificently written.

i don't think there's any problems whatsoever with the instrumentaion, either - this is simple but it is functional as such.

i actually prefer it dry - i think it sounds far more intimate than your typical muddied reverb-laden soft track but you can't do that to an oboe... the piano is good this way but the woodwind is getting beat up hard in the soundfield. i think the reason i can overlook it is because i am focusing on the arrangement and when i do that, i'm not so concerned with the oboe and i'm enjoying this.

this, to some, is a yes hiding in a no's body. but what i hear is a very good arrangement with a gutsy, dry presentation and an oboe that isn't bad enough to reject on merit of

YES

I've listened to it a bunch more and I do believe the pros certainly outweigh the cons here so my vote is slanting the other way with a vote change.

Cool arrangement, decent execution. I am inclined to say this is certainly above the bar, but the production and to a much lesser degree the woodwind sequencing weigh this down slightly. The woodwinds are as others noted very dry, I think the same is true of the piano. Even if you were going for an intimate sound, a small room would with a bit wetter ambiance would have worked - I personally like halls though.

I would have wished the the instrumentation/orchestration was beefed up a little. From that standpoint I think in this context, the simplicity could have been expanded on more ornately. Still, the overall result is there and not that much of a deterent I suppose. Arrangement is done extremely well, production is not as good as it could have been with more polish, but still passable at the end of the day for me. Cool mix. YES