Castlevania PoR Bloodlines Bequeathed Remix

TGH

Excellent source - I didn't know they remade it for the DS. It seems to be a rearrangement of

. Give it a whirl - it might give you some ideas, since both tracks do things a little differently :)

God, I will remix this someday soon.

Ack, I better listen to your remix, to hold me over :nicework:

The chiptune effects are very well done, here. You get my props, bro. The guitar sample is thin, though, so it doesn't quite hold up to the chippy goodness that's underneath. The synth that plays the intro is thin and weak, as well.

The overall production is very unbalanced, especially in the beginning. Pull some of those beginning squared back into the background, since they needlessly dominate. The rest of the track seems pretty muddy, overall - Make sure the leads are very salient, and bring those pads down a little bit to give room for the rest of the awesome textures you have going there.

Nice start. It can be quite awesome if you clean the production up and have the really interesting parts stand out better. Good luck!

Gario, thank you so much for the feedback :D I tried out some of the things you suggested, and I think they sound a lot better.

Alright, here's like 1:45 into it:

http://tindeck.com/listen/zrfj

I like this snare now, took me a while to find a good EQ/compression setting. . .

Of course, mastering and writing are both far from finished.

The last bit of the lead is actually from the song Hidden Curse, from the same game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0SXjVyWSU

Alright, here's a little less than 2 and a half minutes into it. I intend to finish out the bridge, then revisit the verse one more time. I'm estimating the mix to finish out at about 3 minutes and 40 seconds.

And of course, there's always more mastering to be done :-P

http://www.box.net/shared/0m6gyb852d

Yeah so I've been listening to a lot of deadmau5. . . but I doubt you'd be able to tell by listening to this. Totally doubt it. :)

Well the mixing's taken leaps and bounds. It's really starting to shine, imho. I also notice you're sticking with awesome synths rather than fake guitars, which is a wise choice.

The mixing is good, the instruments are sweet, the arrangement is creative. The only issue I'm having right now (other than the fact that it's unfinished, of course) is that it's pretty quiet. You might want to get a limiter on your master track and get the volume up a couple of decibels (without compramizing quality, of course). There are a couple of instruments in the mix that'll stick out when you get the volume up (2:06, for example), so be ready to do a little more mixing when it's louder.

Sounding great. Let's see what the finished product looks like.

The only issue I'm having right now (other than the fact that it's unfinished, of course) is that it's pretty quiet. You might want to get a limiter on your master track and get the volume up a couple of decibels

Thanks for your critique, once again :D

Is this any better in terms of volume? http://www.box.net/shared/0m6gyb852d

I basically just turned the gain up on the compression I had, and still no clipping. So I kept it lol

Thanks for your critique, once again :D

Is this any better in terms of volume? http://www.box.net/shared/0m6gyb852d

I basically just turned the gain up on the compression I had, and still no clipping. So I kept it lol

Edit, oh wait it was my other speakers,not my actual moniters, im not clipping XD, but mix is still a tiny bit too loud, i find the kick and snare a bit silent and being drowing by the synths, but every thing else is great as stated before.

First off, i'll say nice source tune - wanted to remix this one for a while myself :P

This is a pretty cool take on the theme. I'm hearing what I think is deadmau5 influence, but i'm not totally sure seeing as Ben Briggs (chthonic) and halc are currently doing the whole deadmau5 thing (or so they say, I don't listen to his music) and this has some similar characteristics with their music which is what i'm basing that on :P

This mix reminds me of Spoiled R0TT3N - Ben Briggs.

On to the critique - good mixing, and a really creative arrangement, props on that solo at 0:56 onwards. However, I think this has a few small flaws production wise. The first is over-compression. Its not too noticable and is somewhat needed in the whole electro-house thing you have going on but the execution could be better. I think you need a stronger kick than what you have right now because the compression is more noticeable without a powerful kick to drive the track and the more rock style drums at other points in the mix doesn't quite fit with the amount of compression you have going on right now. The compression is especially noticeable at 0:57 onwards, and other similar styled sections like it.

The style transitions work well btw, I don't find myself alienated at all by the variety in styles shown here.

I think this plays it a little safe with the basic waveform synths you have, but there is some more diverse sound design that saves it. I think the drum samples, while passable, could be better tho.

Arrangement seems a little liberal at points, but I'm cool with it as is. Nice work there :)

I think this just needs a little more polish on the production, namely the compression, and maybe some more complex sound design, and then it should be ready for submission imo.

Nice work!

I love the fact this song is unafraid to go into midi-mode.

Plus the abstract tones, that give it a classic 8bit feeling all over again.

Mid-song, the beat changes into another song. While keeping the melody with a completely different tone. (sweet!)

No problems here, loving the tune. Hope we will hear more tunes from you soon. =D

I'm hearing what I think is deadmau5 influence

Spot on. :D

Thank you so much for the crit, I really appreciate it :)))

I'm not entirely familiar with what is classified as being something 'overcompressed,' as opposed to just 'compressed'. . .

In this version I didn't really change the compression at all, but I did change both kick samples; that harder kick now being a more powerful one with a bit more depth.

Oh btw, I'm kind of partial to keeping the synth sounds the way they are; actually, my original intention was a chip-rendition, but during the process of making it, it sort of molded itself into what I have. But nonetheless I think the chip textures now just add a sense of. . . uh. . . something. (lol) Throwback? Style? I honestly have no clue. But I'd like to keep them, haha

http://www.box.net/shared/0m6gyb852d I'm not so sure about the transitions anymore though in this version. They seem more pronounced, even with what I tried to do to fix them (added some quiet 'stronger' kicks just because the change occurs).

EDIT: Just realized a major flaw with the compression in my mixer, fixed it, and I think it's better now in terms of compression

Wow! love those chippish synth.Definitively love it.

Near 1:10, the clap/snare sounds weird like broken because of the sound loudness.

Same around 2:15

You should check for your volume level or compression like willrock said. He's totaly right when saying 'overcompressed'. I'm not a pro nor am I near to be, but check out some plugin like maximus. They can change a track and its sounding from nothing to big bang track. But you know, it's hard to get a perfect Eq'ed track the first few time. I'm exactly experiencing the same. Just keep it up till you get it.

By the way, Very Very nice track. No problem with any part! :razz:

Wow! love those chippish synth.Definitively love it.

Near 1:10, the clap/snare sounds weird like broken because of the sound loudness.

Same around 2:15

You should check for your volume level or compression like willrock said. He's totaly right when saying 'overcompressed'. I'm not a pro nor am I near to be, but check out some plugin like maximus. They can change a track and its sounding from nothing to big bang track. But you know, it's hard to get a perfect Eq'ed track the first few time. I'm exactly experiencing the same. Just keep it up till you get it.

By the way, Very Very nice track. No problem with any part! :razz:

Thanks. :D

I actually just looked in my mixer and found. . . a limiter.

I was liek 'wut?' lol I don't remember putting it there, and when I turned it off it cleared up the track. There was some clipping going on, too near the finale part

http://www.box.net/shared/0m6gyb852d There's a new version

EDIT: yeah, forget it for now, lol. . . it doesn't sound right at all, especially the transitions. I'll work on them more soon. The kicks are awful now

Very nice. The compression is mostly dealt with i'd say. I think you have alot of bass frequencies clogging up your bottom end at points, and sometimes your backing instrumentation gets lost, due to overcrowding, altho only slightly... might be worth trying to clear stuff out. However, I'd say this is solid enough to pass. I'd sub it, but it might be worth putting in some extra polish first just to be sure :D

Just bare in mind that you need 50% source usage to pass, you hit that and you shouldn't have too many problems I wouldn't have thought.

Very nice. The compression is mostly dealt with i'd say. I think you have alot of bass frequencies clogging up your bottom end at points, and sometimes your backing instrumentation gets lost, due to overcrowding, altho only slightly... might be worth trying to clear stuff out. However, I'd say this is solid enough to pass. I'd sub it, but it might be worth putting in some extra polish first just to be sure :D

Just bare in mind that you need 50% source usage to pass, you hit that and you shouldn't have too many problems I wouldn't have thought.

Will, thank you so much for your feedback :D It really means a lot.

I like the way this sounds now. http://www.box.net/shared/0m6gyb852d

I'm with Willrock on this one. This track is one sexy beast. Personally, I'd sprinkle the master track with a hint of upper EQs, so help give it a little shimmer (nothing more than 0.5 decibels in that range), and I'd take a good, hard look at the mixing and just be sure that everything is where you want it to be (I think I hear some melodies that could possibly be brought out, but I'd need to tweak the track myself to be sure), but I think this is a pass worthy track even as it stands, bro.

Very nice - glad we were able to help you with this one :)

I'm with Willrock on this one. This track is one sexy beast. Personally, I'd sprinkle the master track with a hint of upper EQs, so help give it a little shimmer (nothing more than 0.5 decibels in that range), and I'd take a good, hard look at the mixing and just be sure that everything is where you want it to be (I think I hear some melodies that could possibly be brought out, but I'd need to tweak the track myself to be sure), but I think this is a pass worthy track even as it stands, bro.

Very nice - glad we were able to help you with this one :)

Thank you so much, once again, Gario. You guys have been such an awesome help! :DD

Anyway, this has been submitted. However, I used box.net so I can overwrite the file with the same url at any time. In other words, even though I've submitted, I can still edit it before the judges judge it :x

Sources: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFAYyfMmIvQ) <--main source

and (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0SXjVyWSU) <--not-as-main source

EDIT: Oh, and Will, I did see what you meant about there being some frequencies crowded in the low range, so I slightly lowered the bass volume in some parts where I thought it was too loud. I also took your suggestion, Gario, about bringing up the high end EQ, and that only cleared it up more :)

You guys = awesome

really good stuff man. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't pass. jumping right into the final version, it looks like you've already gotten a lot of good feedback above; the production is pretty solid overall and the arrangement is definitely rockin'. the whole package actually is pretty willrock-esque, with a very retro soundscape, smooth filtered leads and crazy solos. nice time-sig changes, too. ;) not much to say, really. I loved this.

Anyway, this has been submitted. However, I used box.net so I can overwrite the file with the same url at any time. In other words, even though I've submitted, I can still edit it before the judges judge it :x

God bless Box.net. I do it all the time... It's even crossed my mind to just turn in a partial remix then finish it later so it goes through the process faster, but I tend to be a little unreliable when it comes to time of completion. Sometimes it's a single day track, sometimes it takes months, so I don't feel like risking it.

Best of luck, bro.

God bless Box.net. I do it all the time... It's even crossed my mind to just turn in a partial remix then finish it later so it goes through the process faster, but I tend to be a little unreliable when it comes to time of completion. Sometimes it's a single day track, sometimes it takes months, so I don't feel like risking it.

Best of luck, bro.

Hahah I thought about that early on as well. . . but I decided to play it safe :P

I couldn't help thinking, "But wut if thay got it b4 i finshed it. . ."

Which I know wouldn't have happened in a million years anyway.

Haha, I made a slight adjustment here. . . Boosted the high end just a little more, and the track is now a little bit louder.

EDIT: I've decided, for my next remix I'm gonna submit a one-second long silent mp3. Wish me luck finishing it before the judges get to it! XD

You've already heard from me how awesome this is bro. Great stuff. I really do feel Willrock in this.

I can't wait to see this on the front page : P

edit: also i just got from a friend who is "VERY critical" of music as she says.

she gave this a 4.5.

after giving chemixtrixx a 4.

:3

not to compare songs, these are both awesome, but just to give you an idea as she loves vg music. and remixes.