Internet Based Labels

WillRock

A great place to start but the internet scene is far more than just Chiptunes ;)

Vincent Fugere (who releases music under the name muhr) reopened his netlabel Camomille last year, after closing it down due to burning out in 2009. There's an interview with him about his departure and return at audiovoltaics.cc.

You could also contact the great folks at Soft Phase netlabel, I used to talk with the founder/curator on IRC and would post announcements on ThaSauce promoting their releases when he first started up. He's since asked me not to directly associate his name with the website due to some privacy issues, but I will say he's a well respected net audio musician and I am sure if you contact him he'd be willing to give you some insight into the process and culture.

i think most netlabels offer their releases for free (as one of their basic principles), but i don't know if it's a rule or anything.

I think that there is a misconception about netlabels due to the fact that many do offer their music for free (as in beer), but there's no rule that netlabels have to offer their music at zero cost. Beyond that, there's evidence that some folks would like to monetize their work if it proves popular so that they can keep creating as means of sustaining themselves instead of remaining a hobbyist, although there are more ways to do so than by charging money for releases.