Final Fantasy V - Prelude To The Void remix

Algamest

Yayy I love Nobuo Uematsu but for ages i figured his erm... 'style' was way too advanced for me, so i waited to get a bit more used to remixing, so now i had a stab at it.

Anyway i won;t bore you guys with lots of talking, here is the remix, it's on Youtube but i can still change it or whatever so constructive criticism is very welcome :)

Not at all what I was expecting. Really minimilist sounding. The piano has a really neat sound to it, but doesn't sound as realistic as it could. In particular, the descending arpeggio patterns starting at :31 need more emphasis on the first beat. A lot of velocities on the piano need work actually. The melody sounds pretty mundane too (every other note should be louder probably).

The drums overall are pretty bad. The saw wave sounds pretty out of place and annoying, too, along with the pads. You probably need some slow strings instead of all the weird ambient sounds, and it would sound better.

The part at 2:45, oh dear.... I'm not a fan of any of these synths.... Is this your first try at electronic music? I'm really turned off by everything in this section. Stop using synth presets and learn how to make your own sounds because they don't work in this song.

4:08, this section actually doesn't sound that bad. I'm still not a fan of the pads, but the piano sounds pretty good. The piano part at 4:29 sounds less coherent, notes literally running into each other. This part needs fixing, not just velocities, but keeping notes out of the way of each other (maybe moving one part up or down an octave to start).

Okay here's a revised version based on the suggestions

http://soundcloud.com/algamest/empty-skies-and-broken-dreams

I'm not saying it's perfect, but am i at least heading in the right direction. I have tried to alter the velocity of the piano throughout to make it sound more realistic, and i'm aware there are little problems with timing but i will sort these in due time.

1:55 - WOW. That came out of nowhere. I'm listening to piano, and then suddenly a sweep comes in. Maybe you can fix that suddenness. Then afterwards, you can add some effects to it so that it isn't overpowering the piano so much. I'm sure you can do it though.

Also, perhaps resolving the piano clashes in it will make it more pleasant to listen to. That is, unless they mean something. In that case you should modify them so that it's not just a random clash, such as a chord with C, C#, G#, and A (in a choir song called Snowflakes >.<).

------

Lewis is a "piano expert", I can tell. He knows what he's talking about; yeah, that's right, I heard Waterfall of Beer. xD

The new version is definitely moving in the right direction. I really like your vision for this, and the ambiance you're creating.

Piano is noticeably more expressive. If I were playing it, I'd still make some of the soft notes softer and the loud notes louder. I'd also think about subtle timing changes here and there for expressiveness -- you do this in one or two broken chords in the beginning, but more would be great. You're really working uphill to make sequenced piano expressive, so do all you can.

Agree with what timaeus said about the sweep at 1:55, needs to be more in the background. Also, that part seems to repeat too much, so you should vary it up a bit. It also repeats way too much later on in the song, IMO. Some panning may help, but I really think you need some other effects or patterns in there.

The orchestral part at 2:55 sounds way better than the synths that had been there. Something is weird about the suspended cymbal transition -- if you're going for a crescendo->sudden piano effect, a strong timpani roll underneath the cymbal might help? If you want it more subtle, I'd quiet the roll down. You could also add more dynamics and phrasing to the instruments in this section.

Enjoyed it, keep it up!

Well i've been thinking about it, and i think i might make it entirely piano, if i worked more on the velocity of the notes. I really do appreciate all of this feedback and i am going to use it all to improve my track :) Thank you everyone :)