Young Composers?

mickomoo

Are any of you familiar with this site? It's a music community dedicated to critiquing original competitions, connecting musicians, and helping them keep up with public competitions and stuff. I found it very interesting, but apparently they've now just started their own video game composition competition. It's a monthly challenge, I think the first challenge is remixing the music to the first level of master blaster

http://forum.youngcomposers.com/t29657/blaster-master-level-1/

so i bookmarked this young composers site yesterday thinking i'd check it out when i got a chance

had some free time this morning so i gave it a visit

skimmed through the forums

quickly realized this site is where all the pretentious all-knowing douchebag self proclaimed composition and theory wizards of the world go to shit on everyone that doesn't write orchestral music let alone people who god forbid can't sight-sing or dictate then sit around and furiously circlejerk each other until they chaffe and bleed to death

deleted bookmark

Honestly, it seems like we could just go to the WiP forums or WiPIRC and not miss much. We have theory heads floating around on OCR, so that's covered too. Plus OCR knows more about VGM than any other composers community on the web.

I don't mean to say it's pointless though, but as Suz said, if all there are is know-it-all music composition douchebags, it might not be worth the effort to post something there.

OCR don't know shit about videogames. Most remixes here rape the source and you end up with a piece of techno that has about 3% of the original song.

Hell, you could compose a techno song and have the brilliant idea of throwing a zelda riff at 3:50 and say it's a Zelda remix.

I'm generalizing here, but you see my point.

Hi Fred,

While I respect you opinion, I do disagree with a few points, as there are a few conflicting statements present. Regardless, you may want to consider your tone when replying to threads. It comes off as quite hostile. This is obviously something that you feel very passionate about, but consider that you may be insulting something others are very passionate about as well.

Thanks

OCR don't know shit about videogames. Most remixes here rape the source and you end up with a piece of techno that has about 3% of the original song.

Hell, you could compose a techno song and have the brilliant idea of throwing a zelda riff at 3:50 and say it's a Zelda remix.

Read this. Then try doing what you say we do and get a mix posted here. :tomatoface:

Hmmm, that would get rejected by the judges immediately.

EDIT: not even. Wouldn't make it to the judges.

Successful troll is successful.

Anyhow, about the site... it just seems that it's made up of young (read - freshman/sophmore college students) that don't understand what theory is about quite yet (here's a hint - it has nothing to do with composition - look up Milton Babbitt for details on that). College is full of the attitude that's rampant in there (and it seems everyone that goes to college just runs through that phase in their musical career).

Instead of going all hostile on the site, read it as a study on the young mind of college composers/musicians. It's actually kind of fascinating, when you look at it that way.

Successful troll is successful.

Anyhow, about the site... it just seems that it's made up of young (read - freshman/sophmore college students) that don't understand what theory is about quite yet (here's a hint - it has nothing to do with composition - look up Milton Babbitt for details on that). College is full of the attitude that's rampant in there (and it seems everyone that goes to college just runs through that phase in their musical career).

Instead of going all hostile on the site, read it as a study on the young mind of college composers/musicians. It's actually kind of fascinating, when you look at it that way.

Not necessarily.

At Young Composers, youth means still having things to discover about the world of writing music—all ages and skill levels are welcome to take part. We welcome all music styles, from Pythagorean mean-tone music to the latest pop single. We want to hear your music and your thoughts about music. Join us today to invigorate your music composition!

quickly realized this site is where all the pretentious all-knowing douchebag self proclaimed composition and theory wizards of the world go to shit on everyone that doesn't write orchestral music let alone people who god forbid can't sight-sing or dictate then sit around and furiously circlejerk each other until they chaffe and bleed to death

Well, the challenge was to fully orchestrate the level, so the orchestral style is kind of set in advance. If you want to do other styles, go for it -- just don't expect contest rules to accommodate you.

Site seems a little too elitist for my tastes, but I didn't really get the whole "TECHNO IS THE DEVIL DEATH TO FAKE MUSIC" vibe some of the posters were talkin' about. To be fair, though, I didn't really give it much of a chance. OCR is the music site for me 8)