Final Fantasy Type-0

Thin Crust

Japan, it is okay to make games that have heroes that are over the age of 25 *25 being rare in itself for most of their games and shows*

It's worth noting that a large portion of Japanese games do include one or two older characters - look at the Tales series for example, or most of the mainstream Final Fantasy games.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that these games are aimed at people whom this sort of thing appeals to, which as it happens is a good portion of RPG gamers in Japan. The formula works for them, why change it? Nier decided to try and appeal to western gamers by having an older lead in the western release, but despite the fact it was an awesome game, that doesn't seem to have given it any major advantage over other JRPGs, in fact I never really hear anyone talking about Nier :(

On an unrelated note, we finally have some hints at a localisation from Steve Blum's twitter here.

All older playable heroes in JRPGs are always male, too. The only exceptions are games like Suikoden or Chrono Cross, where there's enough characters to justify going that far out of the usual competence zone. Even in Chrono Cross, however, there wasd a sort of reverse age discrimination. There were at least four or five female characters under the age of 12. For human boys? Zero. ZERO. Van was the youngest human male party member at 14.

But these games are geared towards teenagers, so it's natural they'd prominently feature teenagers. Anyone older than their teens is considered experienced, but also "indoctrinated" into adult life. They're not radicals -- they're part of the system. Notice that older characters tend to be more morally ambiguous and more likely to betray the party for an incomprehensibly-tough boss fight.

That said, type-0 has looked pretty boring to me. High schoolers save the world. Again. Yawn.

• 1 year later...

Final Fantasy Network - Type-0 localization nearly completed last year

Okay, so let's keep up the fight. Let's keep the discussion to get it localized going, to get it realized. Tweet @SQEX_Members_NA and @Playstation with the hashtag #FFTYPE0 to let them know you want it.

This thread may be old, but the fight continues. Keep at it, we can get it released if only we continue our vigilance.

Let's do this!

Did you get a chance to import/play the game Mirb? Is it good?

SE representatives said recently they were waiting for 'the right time' to localize this one, but I'm not sure what they're waiting for exactly considering how long the psp has been dead in US/EU territories. However, there's still a considerable amount of quality jRPG being published for the console, and with a lot of people clamoring for the good ole (read: not western) role playing, it's sad to see gems like Grand Knights History, SOL Trigger or Senjou no Valkyria 3 fade into obscurity.

Don't mind me though, as I'm proly the last person outside of japan who still use a PSP to play games on a regular basis. :-P

I played a demo and it was fun, despite not understanding most of the text.

And from people who HAVE played the game, it's phenomenal. Seriously, if it was good enough to get localized like it has, then it must be great. However, then SE realized it might not sell or they might not be able to recoup distribution and printing costs so that's why it's been shelved for a year.

Then there's the piracy issue; most of SE's later PSP titles were heavily pirated. So they fear if they release it, no one will buy it and everyone will pirate it.

But yeah, it's phenomenal.

• 9 months later...