Chrono Trigger | Tales Weaver Remix

Weaving the Threads of Time

This is a final stage, WIP using the following themes:

'Chrono Trigger Theme'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIO1sajyx_o

Tales Weaver: 'Apparation'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68oLYpV1R1g

Not sure how many people know about Tales Weaver but it's a korean MMORPG and I think it has an outstanding, catchy as hell soundtrack =)

Remix:

http://tindeck.com/listen/gsul

I really like the style of this, especially the violin work. It could use an instrument in the lower frequencies (maybe adding a cello or adding bass notes to the pad) and a bit louder drums (or just the kick drum, as it seemed really quiet in some parts). Also, what are those small clicking noises in the section after the drums stop? Intentional or a side-effect from some instrument? Those seemed pretty off-place.

Ok, thanks for the feedback hakstock, I've kept your ideas in mind, and have updated the link.

I'm not sure what sounds you were describing that seemed off, but there is a little synth ticker thing that might be the thing u identified lol, it shouldn't be too loud in this version - I used a lot of synth for the first time(compared to what I used i.e > than zero )

This sounds really good! Very Chrono cross-y :)

I'm going to have to agree with hakstock about the drums...they could actually use some work throughout the piece...They're very repetitive in the first half, and sound pretty mechanical. I'm not sure how well they complement the rest of the instruments: I think that softer less driving drums might work better, but that could just be me. Also, there's the aforementioned clipping at the end.

The only other criticism I have is that the violin arpeggio at the very end sounds very awkward (The quick transition from high to low frequencies). Other than that one part though, it all sounds really good!

Okay, so compositional side, everything seems pretty fine.

But for the mastering, I think that the master volume is a little too low, maybe boost by a few dB or find another way to give the tracks a decent boost.

I think the drums could stand to be a bit louder; personally I wasn't too bugged by their repetition, but a little bit of changing up wouldn't hurt.

The transitions, midi writing (did you play some of it on a keyboard?) and dynamics are really great - it feels very organic and fluid.

I can tell that you put a lot of care into the production here, so it's not too far off, imo.

Good work :nicework:

Thanks Kuolema and HoboKa for your feedback. You probably didn't find the drums as bad as Kuolema because I already re-wrote them haha(and am continuing to re-write them), I also boosted the overall loudness of the track. Thanks for that pick-up.

I also spliced together two different violin recordings, cheated so I could get a less flawed performance =)

Thanks for the compliments on the dynamics, I didn't use a midi keyboard, I just traced the volume levels for just about everything so I could get it sounding less dead.

I chose to do that ending because I didn't think I could go much higher on the violin without breaking glass. And as a plus, that sort of ending is more impressive to look at, compared to just holding one note haha

Maybe I can do something to make it more natural, but if not I can always re-recorded the second half

Violin samples can be a pain sometimes, especially if they were sampled poorly to begin with (which is the case with almost every soundfont sample), but I didn't find your sample(s) to be grating at all. I didn't listen all the way through, but I heard most of the track (I was really tired cuz it was 3:30 AM or something stupid).

Second listen through. Drum tracks still sound like they could be pushed out front a *bit* more. And maybe raised by a half dB?? IDK, usually when I mix my drums I make them too loud to begin with :mrgreen: lol

Listenned to ending. I didn't have a problem with it - in fact it sounds much more genuine than just doing a cliche cadence chord or low note. Also makes the violin sound more realistic :D

Yeah the ending isn't that typical, so mixed reactions at first is a taken, but unless anyone has any objections, I'll prob update this to mod review, and then hope to finish it in a week if people think it's ok. I'll probably tweak the drums more, I'll see if I can give them more presence, but in the second half theres a billion things going on, hard to balance things if the drums are too loud.

And yes, the violin is special my Chris/Amaterasu sample, a highly unpredictable synth that ads random appegios to things. But it's also a compliment to think I could be confused with the pure perfection of a synth =)

The Tales Weaver source is pretty sweet, and then there's the CT WE'VE-HEARD-THIS-ALR... *ahem* oft-remixed source. Bass needs to be more human. You've got some really funky bass writing going on there, just needs more human character. Drastic velocity edits should do it, if the samples respond enough to that.

Violin is a little loud. Drums need more punch. Piano feels a bit stiff. Choir and piano don't work together, separate them with eq. Actually, some eq separation of most of the instruments would do wonders for this track at this point, methinks.

Cool track, nice dynamic arrangement. Nice work. :)

• 2 weeks later...