OCR00535 - Super Metroid "Four Little Metroids"

orkybash

Liontamer complaining about beats?!

Anyway, here are my thoughts.

The introduction is slow, but not annoying. I can say this because the whole song has some very cool parts that the listener is likely to anticipate throughout the whole song, as soon as he or she has heard it once or more. I can also say this because this song's intro is a really nice break from all these action-packed songs I've been hearing recently, making FourLittleMetroids just so happen to be suited well for being situated within an audio CD.

Either way, the whole song flows nicely. As for the eerie sounds & strings which approach our ears at 1:00, I can't really say they're incredibly awesome anymore, but they haven't gotten old after all these listens. It's likely the most memorable aspect, causing listeners all over to easily identify this song.

Starting the song, the first meaty section chimes at 1:35 in with Brinstar. Except instead of chimes, AmIEvil implements well-mixed, well-panned choir, and a pulsing/grating lower-ended spectrum, with its clear bass and percussion, and a barely noticable, strange electronicy bongo sample drumming to Brinstar's harmonic melody. Back to the voices: they sing high quality into my ears. Everything's synthesized, yet is the epitome of an OCR, sans liberality in the melody/progression (barely even needed, given the numerous structural and transitional difference). To no one's dismay, the song isn't over yet, and eventually gets to a point where liberality does get introduced, further sprucing up its structure. Keep reading to find out! (Or just listen to the song.)

The choir melts away, 2:05 comes in, and I'm not enjoying this mp3 as much, but what can one do! Oh, not much but maybe soften up the EQ a bit, and make it not so repetitious and grating with the piano, etc. Or even just make it cooler sounding! But wait, we are soon granted this request at 2:39 (cool transition here), sans (sans!) the coolness, with a true Maridia sound. In retrospect, it's a seemless transition, but, regardless, the piece is at a point where its conservative temperament begins to weaken my attention span. Mayhaps I should be grateful to this, due to it possibly being a plot construed by the Possibly Evil one? For soon at 3:32 my boredom will be washed away, and an excitement, ten times greater than any one prior, will shoot up my spine, at the same time straightening it as well as my mind....

...The tempo slows a bit, dynamics build, respectable, eerie electronics enter the planet's hallways, the speed returns to normal, a brief, beautiful reverb ripples itself within the walls, and we're off to the best section, 3:47. Play it loud, please. My only curiousity is why the bass stays the same. I wonder if subtle (progression?) changes besides the ones already applied (getting louder, etc.) could have made the song more moving.

Oh, wait, now play it really loud, because the song's best sample introduces (literally---it sounds like it struggles at 4:00, quickly breaking free to openly spray its funk) itself. Hmm, it's not much of a spray, but more of a super-soaker's cylindrically pressurized liquid flowing through a filtered nozzle. And that means something good I think. Now I'm wondering if this melody is from any Metroid game. 'Sounds like it is not.

The crime here is that the best sections are so short (however, I can make up for this by the fact that I can listen to this ending infinitely). I need more similarly unique samples! Unfortunately, we are soon met up with the weakest sample at 4:28, though it has its charm. I guess. At 4:31, the background chaotic noise really goes by noticed, ascending a potentially horrible sounding section up into an interesting flurry of semi-ending. Because I enjoy the whole song, it's fine to listen casually, partially due to the mixing levels of the combined samples. But when analyzing, I notice the same old bassline, and the same old melody, and an ending that could have been better-thought out. Maybe the author found out his true identity to be one of Evil tendencies after discovering a pandora's box of quality samples, and then decided he had better things to do with his time, like destroy insecure ReMixer's n00by songs. Truly an evil heretic.

Overall while listening, I am thrown back and forth between a groove and a deep-thought-ed peace of mind. But sometimes people need just the groove (with more chord-progressive variety)! And sometimes they need just the peace! But luckily most of OCR just likes Super Metroid, so why shouldn't they have yet retrieved such a concoction of mysteerie?

(Hah, it's pretty funny. Back in the day I used to have similar thoughts as other reviewers here, regarding the imagining of a surreal environment, while listening to this mix particularly. The conjured images were quite vivid, but now this ReMix is just a cool little song thing. Oh, well; so much for imagination. Luckily I still remember an image I thought of when listening to this song. If I had super artistic skills I could post an image for everyone! But I can't do that, yet you could say it was something akin to the ruins inside a recently sunken Titanic, except more grey.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Damn that violin is overly detuned- It certainly got my attention, but not really in a good way. It sounds like an especially reverbed and delayed recording of a kid just learning how to play. Things improve once the beats , synth, and piano come in, and the breakdown afterwards is good, but not super compelling. There is a deep ambience with this track, but overall I wasn't feelin it; I think that violin at the beginning colored my perception of the track too much. Sorry dude. :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

My favourite track from the OST, and you have remixed it in a really imaginative and really cool way. Excellent work, the synth work in particular is very very tasteful.

You don't stray too far from the original, but you definitely took your own path. Excellent work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00535 - Super Metroid "Four Little Metroids"