Mega Man 6 - Knight Man vs. Mr. X (Passing of the Knight)

Magellanic

So another week and another competition remix is completed. I'm not too good at rushing through remixing and getting a decent mix within a week so I like to clean them up a bit. My previous compeition mix wasn't particuarly substantial arrangement-wise but I feel this one has more depth and substance. I've re-recorded the guitars, tightened up other parts that were out of time and spent far too much of my time on the produciton.

The sources

Knight Man:

Mr. X Fortress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt6y2E31y-Y

Before entering the gauntlet I'd never mixed sources so that alone I found a challenge. Getting the themes to flow and not sound isolated was a bit of a challenge but I think I managed to get a coherant piece of music out of it.

Remix: Check latest Post

I'm basically posting here to get some feedback on it and to see if its worth submitting. If the arrangement isn't long enough or diverse enough then I won't bother subbing it as I can't really change it. The mix is as it is.

Nice work! The guitar needs a bit of a reverb to be more convincing. Also, once everything starts, it gets difficult to keep up with rhythm. I think there are a few things that has too much reverb in there, causing the beats to sound timed-out (I know it isn't). Maybe also adjust velocity of a few layers (sounds overpowering atm)

Overall, it sounds great. looking forward to next update :D

Cheers for the feedback bud, always appreciated :) I've done a quick update as I think what is throwing the timing a bit is the Hi-hats. I've altered the rhythm at the start. It eases you in better I think before it starts goin' wild. I've increased the reverb on the lead guitar and reduced some of the reverb on other parts though there is soo little used in this track. Any way, hopefully this sounds a little better. Also, let me know if you think the arrangement is substantial for a submission. If it is I may tweak the production and such further but if not I think I'll leave it as it is as I'm pretty happy with it :)

Remix: http://db.tt/mS7UW0IO

Cheers for the feedback bud, always appreciated :) I've done a quick update as I think what is throwing the timing a bit is the Hi-hats. I've altered the rhythm at the start. It eases you in better I think before it starts goin' wild. I've increased the reverb on the lead guitar and reduced some of the reverb on other parts though there is soo little used in this track. Any way, hopefully this sounds a little better. Also, let me know if you think the arrangement is substantial for a submission. If it is I may tweak the production and such further but if not I think I'll leave it as it is as I'm pretty happy with it :)

Remix: http://db.tt/mS7UW0IO

Wow, this is great! It sounds much cleaner than what you submitted for the compo! Great work!

I see a lot of us are thinking the same thing, with posting our compo mixes in the WIP forums (shameless plug :razz:). This version does sound a lot cleaner than your compo entry. Good job! I enjoyed the track then, but this version is even more rockin'.

I'd be careful with the 1:44 - 1:50 section. That two synths seems to be getting lost in one another. I'd bet they're occupying similar EQ ranges, so maybe try some separation on those two synths so it doesn't sound like they are overplaying each other.

Other than that, good stuff!

Even if it isnt submitted for MOD review, its still worth working on since people like me still collect them.

i will say that the intro sounds a bit out of place. Otherwise, I'm loving it. Perhaps change the instrumentation of the intro to something different? It fits, the instruments don't.

That may just be me, though. Some of the synths can be tuned up, as well. Particularly those at the end, which sound like they're relegated to the background. They dont stand out as much.

and the drums can be clearer.

Oh yeah, definitely. I always like to clean up stuff. Its just once I get the production and such up to scratch the only thing that would make me think its not worth subbing, is the arrangement (structure, not instrumentation) and I'm not going to alter that as I feel it is what it is. Thanks for the extra ideas, I'll definitely experiment once I return to it :)

I'll be sure to watch myself then :P I do have a website, soundcloud and youtube, but at the moment my Youtube account is the most up to date: http://www.youtube.com/mrlidawg

I updated the link, moved the mp3 to drop box as I get weird distortion on tindeck when I stream. Dunno what that's about.

Remix:

http://db.tt/6ApWcX94

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd give this a bump as it has been a while and slipped through the net :) (put as mod review in December)

I also gave it a little polish as you would probably need waders with the amount of mud in the last version. A second version with a little less mud (hopefully): http://soundcloud.com/lidawg/passing-of-the-knight-ver-2

It'd be great to get some insight into improving this as it definitely falls short of being submission worthy.

Sources:

Knight Man -

Mr. X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt6y2E31y-Y

mod rev:

Cool new name, dawg. :D

The drums have some timing problems when they first come in, and there are some fills that don't quite line up. Not sure if the double kick notes make sense, it works in the chorus, but seems odd in the verses and the ending solo part. Drums are way back, but aside from the stereo balance thing below, the rest of the mixing seems ok.

There are some timing problems with other instruments as well, I noticed 0:37 has some background plucking/picking not in sync with the lead synth. It's not a great sound imo, that pluck/pick thing, it's a bit too thin. You could probably fatten it with a touch of reverb, some form of distortion and eq, just make sure the sounds remains a background one.

1:36 has a weird stereo balance, you've got a center lead and a melody in the left channel, but nothing in the right to balance it out. A touch of pan automation to push the center lead a little to the right could solve that, as could some delay or something else hardpanned that way in the range of those two melodies.

The arrangement works well, and the source usage seems ok. I don't dare say more, because Knight Man just doesn't stick in my head well enough to listen for. Source-deafness strikes again, this time selectively.

I just realized that Mr. X's theme sounds quite a bit like Kikuta's Mana tracks, especially the A-B transition (around 0:23).

PRODUCTION

- Drums have no energy

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

- Timing not tight enough

Thanks Rozo. As always, the feedback is appreciated. I'll fix this up. I may re-record and do a new version. Having left it for a few days, hearing it now makes me think it overall needs an injection of life. I feel like the production/instrumentation is letting down an arrangement that has more potential.

Glad you like the name, I'm definitely happy with it :)