*NO* Wild Arms 'Future Fighter'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: The Vagrance

E-mail:

Name of Game Arranged: Wild ARMs

Name of Arrangement: Future Fighter

Name of Source Track: Power Fighter

Probably the most ambitious track I've ever done, and was worked on periodically over the span of about a year, which is why there's like 5 completely different sections, but I think it flows well enough and finds a satisfying conclusion, plus it would be a shame to not submit it after working on it for so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXAQoKhhLbw

• 1 month later...

excellent percussion. this is really well produced, man. the low end seemed a bit weak considering the large-size basses that were occupying it. I didn't feel like there was a full spectrum of sound until 1:58. that's nitpicking though, as the overall track is well mixed and has some really gritty, creative processing. as for the arrangement, well I agree that ambitious is a good word for it. and I mean that in a good way. :) great approach and adaptation to a totally different style, nice variations and transitions between sections. very solid work here, I'll be holding on to this one. :D

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I really like the soundscape you've put together for this. It's really very gritty and does an awesome job of conveying a dark picture. Drew is also right that the percussion is quite good, I can tell you spent a ton of time working out all the little details to make them shine.

That being said, I'm a little tenuous on the amount of source usage here. There are spots that are fairly obvious, and some ares that aren't really connected at all. Stopwatch Larry will probably have a field day with this, but I'm inclined to agree with the other Shariq that while it is liberal, there's enough going on for it to be recognizable and within our standards.

YES

Edit: changed vote below

Love the feel of this one. Great job setting the mood with the intro and keeping it going throughout.

Some parts, especially in the lower register, felt like they were indistinct in the soundfield. Not sure if it's eq work or mixing.

Arrangement-wise, this is definitely on the liberal side of things. I'd hate to be the final vote on this without a good idea of the connections here, so...

:00 - :42 - original

:43 - 1:26 - slow synth playing horn part near start of source (I didn't hear this initially)

1:27 - 1:55 - chord connection to OST, not super strong, but it's there

1:56 - 2:00 - synth playing string melody from OST

2:01 - 2:06 - tenuous chord connection, the parts actually playing the backing notes from the original have already dropped out, so it's only implied chords

2:07 - 2:14 - synth playing string melody from OST

2:15 - 3:48 - I'm not hearing ANY connection in this extended section

3:49 - 4:21 - tenuous chord connection, not quite even the same chords as the OST

4:22 - 6:03 - original

So overt connection is 57 seconds out of 363 seconds total = 16%. Even counting the tenuous chord sections, that's not even close to the 50% mark.

EDIT: Larry mentioned in chat that he found a bit more source sections. But on balance, it wasn't a significant amount.

No

Yeah, it pains me to do this but I was kind of wary of whether or not it would even be possible for this kind of approach to have enough source usage. It's unfortunate, I've really loved this track ever since the early WIPs that I heard from it. The Burial-esque dubstep elements work really well and your arrangement is very intense, in an understated way.

But yeah, source usage just isn't jumping out at me. Sorry bro :-( This is staying on my playlists for sure. And if we're all wrong and you've got more stuff tucked away in there that we're not hearing, I'd love to take a second look at this.

NO

Put me in the group who loves the track, but is not hearing enough connection to the source. This is really cool and super creative, with very slick sounds, and a very strong flow. I love the percussion and the sound effects. Unfortunately, I am really not hearing much dominant source for a good deal of the track. I can tell this took a long time and had a lot of care put in it, but it's just not recognizable enough for me, after several listens. :/

Sorry, gotta NO it.

Taking Justin's breakdown of the source, I relistened and I'm going to have to change my vote up. I'm surprised that having that amount of source in there still was recognizable to me, but I also think I listened to it enough times to mesh it together and lose some of the aspect of the song as a whole. I'll apologize for that, but I'm gonna have to go NO as well.

NO