OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name : Rockos

Your real name : Roch Côté

Your website : None

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : 44017

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged : Super Mario World

Name of individual song(s) arranged : Castle Theme

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. :

The inspiration came while on my work whistling the castle theme for mario world. This has always been may favorite track from the game. I could listen to this track for hour before getting bored. I decided why not mix my favorite track with my favorite genre. Sure it's adapted to my style and fit, but this is an awesome work. I really loved mixing this song.

For the mix itself, it's pretty straightforward. And you'll maybe take a step back because the song is 'midi-ed'. The main lead is nearly intact. But the soundscape here make it shine more. Those chip sounds, the osc and the robotic bass makes it more attractive. Some glitching add with the help of my fav plug-in help it to be different than many others. There are some sounds unprocessed due to the nature of the genre itself. Still there is about 20 different synth and a lot of effect on specific synth. There is not that much sample. Drums sample are the only one.

The end was written well a week or two after I finished the song. This is gario that gave me the idea cause there was only one play through the original source. So I added a part mixed up of extended soundscape and original song. It sounds more of a solo with some bit of the real song.

In the end, I wanna thanks all those who took a listen to this and commented. Even the small ones that just say they loved the track. That, kept me a smile, and working on the song was even happier ^^.

• 2 months later...

Right away I'm noticing a ton of reverb over the whole song. It's pretty intense, and causes some muddiness issues. I'd look into toning that down, and maybe using it more intensely in certain areas for effect. The rest of the soundscape is pretty intense as well, in a good way to me. You've done a nice job capturing a full sound that remains fairly balanced. I appreciate that the bass isn't overpowering especially, so nice work on that.

Arrangement overall works pretty well, but I feel as though there are some sections that are using funky chords that don't quite match the melodyline. 1:23-1:27 is an example of where things seem a little off. I don't necessarily think it's a dealbreaker like the reverb, but it is worth looking at.

Hit up that production, please!

NO (resubmit) - Changed below

Haha, this is awesome dude. I love the sonic variety you've brought here with all of the synths and effects.

I agree with DA that there's quite a bit of reverb causing mudiness in the mix that could be toned back. It sounds like you're pushing the compressors pretty hard in areas like :33, which is squashing the sound. See if you can get the mixing levels a bit more under control to avoid this.

As he mentioned in the sub letter, the actual melodies haven't been changed much, but there is a ton of processing, mangling, and rearranging of each phrase that it feels quite personalized and stays fresh and interesting throughout. Definitely hearing a Skrillex vibe throughout here, which I totally dig.

Personally, I would like to hear a version with cleaner production (no, don't take out the grittyness, just fix up the mud :)), but I can't deny the strength of the rest of the track as it stands now.

Yes (borderline)

not gonna beat around the bush, I'm pretty much with Justin here. this mix is baller as hell, but that crowded low end needs to be cleaned up a little. simply toning down the reverb might do the trick, but you might need to tweak your levels just a tiny bit too. the basslines and processing in this are seriously sick though. I wouldn't feel right rejecting this.

gonna opt that we hit up Rockos for a quick fix on the mixing please, nothing fancy, just cut back on the reverb, possibly adjust a few EQ/levels in the low end to get this sounding a little bit clearer.

YES

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[ ] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[ ] Low-quality samples

[X] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics) - adjust mixing/levels to reduce pumping/distortion on sustained sounds

[X] Mixing is muddy (e.g. too many sounds in bass, middle or treble) - muddy bass, harsh leads

STRUCTURE

[X] Lacks coherence overall (doesn't "flow" enough) - abrupt transitions

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE TRACK

[X] Creative arrangement ideas

[X] Good production ideas

[X] Instrument choices

[X] Source tune choice(s)

Focus on re-mixing, fixing compression and muddiness

NO

I'm siding with Drew and Justin on this, this mix has a lot of merit. The flaws have already been stated so I won't really spend much time rehashing it - reverb levels, compression, and conservativeness are all present concerns, but to me they're nothing that truly inhibits me from enjoying this mix or makes it unlistenable. Despite the compression and high reverb levels, all of the different sounds are clearly audible and distinguishable, I don't hear anything bleeding together and I don't feel like my ears are being destroyed as a result of listening.

It's true that this one sticks relatively close to the original, structurally, but the real magic here is in how Rockos mangles and modulates each of the different melodies & instruments in dramatic, yet tasteful ways to really set the mix apart from the source. There's only a few minor points where the glitching seems superfluous or excessive, for the most part I think this was executed very well and is one of the most classy, enjoyable dubstep mixes we've seen since the genre exploded.

I'm definitely okay with this as it is.

YES