*NO* The World Ends With You 'Noise Pollution' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

• 2 months later...

The volume and vocal intonation is a lot better, and the panning on the backing vocals is pretty solid. Overall things are crowded and rowdy, but it all clicked for me, and reminds me a lot of the production styles in early-mid 90's. It's definitely raw, but the feeling of that gives it a lot of urgency and really feeds the track.

The reverb could stand to come down a little bit, but I think i'm good with how this is sounding. The elements are all clear enough, and it has a lot of energy combined with some good performances.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Urgh, while the last version was promising but clearly lacking in terms of production, this version is so close to the borderline. It's better in terms of mixing and way better in terms of singing, but I think it still falls just short. The vocals sound too dry compared to the backing track, and overall, the backing track sounds a little distant and lacking in high-end. The recording quality of the vocals seems a little low too. I hate to push this one back to you because it's very enjoyable, but I think it's got another 5-10% to go.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...
Urgh, while the last version was promising but clearly lacking in terms of production, this version is so close to the borderline. It's better in terms of mixing and way better in terms of singing, but I think it still falls just short. The vocals sound too dry compared to the backing track, and overall, the backing track sounds a little distant and lacking in high-end. The recording quality of the vocals seems a little low too. I hate to push this one back to you because it's very enjoyable, but I think it's got another 5-10% to go.

I literally was going to write a vote hitting basically these issues, but Vinnie's right. I curse the panel for disallowing conditional votes, because this is one where some proper production/mixing tweaks would get this where it would need to be, and I'd rather YES this. But the backing track indeed sounds very lossy and distant; it's a classic example of where poor sound quality makes it seem like the encoding quality is 96kbps or something silly like that. The vocals did sound too dry as well, but I could live with that providing the instrumentation mixing was fixed. Sorry, Austin, I love the arrangement, and you nailed the concept, but the mixing needs some TLC before I can so-sign as is.

NO (refine/resubmit)

EDIT (5/14): Also just noting that Palpable saying "Urgh" was because he likes the track, and wants to pass it, but he can't yet due to the issues holding it back. It's not frustration at the artist or anything like that. If it doesn't make it, hopefully you can tighten it up for the win.

• 2 weeks later...

The mix is a bit harsh, and needs considerably more bottom.

The vocal could be tighter. The harmonies sound so sloppy because of the pitchy nature of the performances. Hate to be this guy, but a little auto-tune and vocalign never hurt in this situation.

I really like the energy of the guitars drums and organ, but I feel like the vocal performance is holding it back. God I really wish there were more bottom.

I'd say this is super close to the line for me, but I really want to hear more bottom and tighter vocal production.

NO

Personally, I'm swayed toward the NO's on this, too. I love your arrangement and performances, and the vocal effects are really neat, but the production here does not feel as full as it could. Like Larry said, it sounds distant and rough all-around, though I agree that the vocals particularly sounded lo-fi. I also concur with the points that Vig brought up and definitely feel like you should take those suggestions into consideration.

I don't have much to add here, but the overall production quality on the track isn't where it needs to be for me. Great arrangement ideas though, this would definitely be worth the time to revamp and polish the production side of things.

Sorry :-(

NO (resub)

• 4 weeks later...

I think the NOing judges raise some valid points. While I think I actually prefer your version of "Calling" to the original (I played this game so much and this song was playing all the freaking time), there could be some production and mixing fixes that you could look at that other judges have detailed better than I could. Take a look at it and resub!

NO, resub

• 1 month later...