"Lost in Time" - Chrono Trigger (Corridor of Time) ft. XPRTNovice

ad.mixx

Thanks a whole bunch to Joseph for pulling this out. He seriously rocked out!

I want to go ahead and put this out here so I could get some new ears on the song. The sax sounds awesome, but I feel like I'm so used to the old sax sample that I don't know what sounds good anymore. So yeah. I feel like the chorus' may need more filling out, though. Like another synth or an electric guitar or something.

I messed with the mixing since the last version too, so there's that. It's not as loud right now, but that'll be fixed once I can properly master it.

https://www.box.com/s/kiw2lco0viq3vg781ygm

I think that initial sine wave sequencing needs to be fixed up. The portamento is a bit excessive, and it'd be great if you could give it more phrasing. It sounds like there's portamento between every note, or almost every note, and that's kinda awkward, rather than ethereal. Maybe in some spots, instead of portamento from one note to another, you could try stopping a note slightly short, then adding a quick note before the next note. i.e. a grace note.

Yeah, the sax could be louder, and the wet mix could be slightly lower. Right now it sounds almost as distant as the sine wave, and if I were you, I'd push it forward a bit further than it is now.

That's what I got at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating this in a while both to XPRT and everyone who really likes this song. I've been pretty musicless for the past few weeks, which sucks. But I'm gonna get back on track now.

I tried something new with the Sax. I did bring it up a little more (in terms of reverb and loudness), but I added delay to it. Maybe it's just me but I really like the wide sound it has, but I'll just let you guys comment a little bit before I finally submit this. I might even have to bring the sax up a little more...but it's getting close, though!

Also, doing this has made me realize how much mastering sucks. It's hard to keep the dynamics of the track while still making it loud for some reason. Hopefully there isn't any clipping I'm not hearing.

https://www.box.com/s/d9w1mdw6k7kd92uwtumj

edit: and I completely forgot! I'll add some drum fills in the submitted version to keep that aspect more interesting.

Edited by urdailywater

Yeah, mastering is terrible. I really dislike lowering too many dBs through compression and avoid reduction when limiting. It's better to have not that loud mixes IMO.

The reverb on the sax may be a bit too much. I'd lower it a bit since it takes too much space.

The bell-ish instrument has too much reverb or is too loud too, it generates too much noise.

Anyway, this is sounding great, just a bit reverb-ish :-P

I just stumbled along this and haven't heard any of the previous versions so I can't comment on that... but yeah just wanted to say I really enjoy this. It's got a nice mellow vibe (sorta similar to the original) going on, and yeah that sax is killer. I'd agree there is probably just a little too much reverb on the sax though. I really like the square synth that opens up the song too. They fit together well.

The arrangement feels like it meanders a bit, mainly after the first sax part at 1:22 - 1:55 until the piano change-up. The piano solo section is a really nice interlude though. Sax at 2:30 is great again. The ending feels a little anticlimactic after the sax solo. The piano fadeout is ok, but it feels like it happens too fast, like going from almost full volume at 3:25 - to nothing by 3:33. I'd have a longer fadeout, personally. Nice job though, I really like it.

Great to see an update (two in fact!)

The bass harmony remains problematic, I have a little more in-depth analysis/feedback below as it's killing this gorgeous piece for me.

If I got it right, the bass 0:33 goes:

F# F# C F# F# | F# F# C F# F# | E E B E E | E E B G# G# |

I love how having F# as the first root note of the chord sounds unexpected (at least to me), but the C should really be C# in the first two bars of the bassline. It's hard to hear that it's wrong, but it is off-key and sounds awkward. (If you really want to keep the C, you could resolve it by playing C C# in sixteenth notes instead of C in an eight note, that would sound good I think).

The bass from 02:29 goes:

G G D G G | G G D G G G# | E E C E E | E E C G# G# G# |

G sounds really off-key in this section, and C as well, although not as obviously. Changing them to F# and C# respectively would make the harmony work and, I think preserve what you were going for. I think the small change in the bassline from earlier you've done here works incredibly well (rising the notes) It's a really effective move! Just fix the harmony - the root notes remain in place in my suggestion, but after playing with it for a while I really think it has the same effect/impression on the listener. Again, you might get those C's and G's in there by quickly resolving them to C# and F#.

Other thoughts:

• You could intro with the clock + synth string alone for a bit longer (it's completely fine as it is though).
  • Adding more vibrato (or perhaps tremolo, or just life in general) to the sine wave instrument's long notes would do a lot. Phrasing, like timaeus said.
  • Snare could stand to be a bit brighter.
  • The sax sounds absolutely beautiful.
  • I love the soundscape and stereo image change at 01:23.
  • The exposed piano sounds a bit on the cheap side, especially playing chords.
  • I really like how the clock starts ticking when we're exiting the middle lull section.
  • The percussion loop in the middle still sounds stiff and bare. Applying more FX/filtering/stuff might still help.

Not much longer to go! Good luck!

--Eino

The reverb is slightly too much. Things are blending together a bit too well. If it's slightly too much on these headphones, it's probably too much. Reduce the wet mix by about 1 dB.

The piano does sound pretty thin when it plays chords. Maybe EQ up the treble to brighten it up a bit.

2:34 - the bells are too loud, or too wet. It's burying the sax.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post to assure im still working on this. My charger crapped out, and a replacement shipment justcame in, but im going to be in louisiana until sunday, so wont be able to touch this until then.

Sorry for updating this was such a crappy update. That reverb was a bad idea i see now.

I think fatigue was the big issue, im trying really hard to get this sax to fit in with the song cause it just sounds so darn good, but im not as used to mixing live audio with alll electronic elements. Ill make sure to apply as much of yalls tips as possible (especially the bass issue which i now hear the issues) T hanks for all the posts by the way. Im going to make this sound as good as possible for OCR.

Edited by urdailywater

• 2 weeks later...

So I've updated this, and I'm going to put it on finished because there's no reason for it to still be labeled as WIP IMO.

I was gonna wait to get an opinion from a friend on this.. but he hasn't responded so yeah..

I brought the sax up, took off the delay, took back some reverb, rode the volume on the sax so that it could be a little louder in certain parts where it's too quite, fixed the bass notes, messed with the synth a little bit so it doesn't sound as "awkward", added some drum variation, did some stuff to the EQ and piano, and mastered things a bit better.

I don't know much of anything else that can be done to it at this point. I've listened to this on a couple of speakers now, and it sounds clear. Any other opinions? I want to submit this sometime this week when my two week limit is up.

Good work on addressing the issues! When I listened to this earlier today I thought the piece was just really, really together. All the polish you've put to the piece has paid off. It's still the same piece as a couple of iterations ago, where I was already enjoying it, but it works so much better now.

I'm particularly impressed how you made the stiff percussion work - it's still stiff, but now it sounds right. And that piano, it sounds like it's the piano sound I've used myself ten, fifteen years ago in crappy tracker modules I made, where it sounds really cheap, it's still the same piano sound but now you've made it work, I think the sound really works for the song.

:nicework:

--Eino

Alright, song's finally done. I did a little bit of composition work, specifically adding some variety to the bass at the end because it sounded boring after a while. The piano also has some more to it.

This has been subbed, posted on youtube, soundcloud, facebook, etc. So yeah, wish it luck on the panel! Hopefully you guys enjoy it 'till then. And thanks a bunch for ya'lls help with this. It was much appreciated!

https://www.box.com/s/f8o3ykmicsis7nl96ekj

• 1 month later...