*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'Back in the Game'

djpretzel

Hi,

My name is DJ Micro

and I ReMixed Final Fantasy 8 - Man With A Machine Gun I have only ReMixed 1 game so far.... Final Fantasy 8

Thanks

On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 119 "The Man With the Machine Gun"

Basic techno coverage of the source tune to start with. Nothing really creative here. The melody comes in at :59, and this needs some beats or something to anchor the piece and fill it out, since it just sounds empty bare.

1:47 finally brings something in to that effect. At that point, it becomes obvious as to how poorly balanced the sounds are. We get some slightly different percussion around 2:00 and then the melody just retreads itself at 2:16. Gotta present something that's actually creative and interpretive with the source material which this simply isn't.

Finally get to the chorus at 2:56. Still just verbatim with the source and not much going on. Reatreading the intro at 3:25, and there's the melody again at 3:35. Alright, I'm gonna listen just to make sure nothing different gets introduced here.

Nah. 5:37-long, too conservative, poorly mixed, underdeveloped and dragged out. This never even GOT in the game.

NO

Very very close to the source most of the time only, lacking the balance and subtlety provided in the original. Not much else to say, a weak one bar percussive pattern enters at 2:07. The back up figure never adjusts itself to fit the progression even though the bass and melody do. This ends up sounding awful sometimes like at 2:53.

After the first time through the entire form.... we take one more nearly identical trip down the same old mean streets. If I had been given the option, I would have gotten off the tour before we made the second round but I was given no such opportunity, so I sat through the final itteration of the melody hoping against hope for some signifcant variety. None came and my dreams were dashed. OH WELL.... SUCH IS LIFE! I'm glad you like the FFVIII soundtrack. It is my personal favorite Final Fantasy Soundtrack, though they all have their individual strengths.

n0

• 2 weeks later...
It is my personal favorite Final Fantasy Soundtrack, though they all have their individual strengths.

OMG FFVI IS BETTER GO DIE NOOB

er.

Okay the intro is killing me. Why does it go for so long without an inkling of percussion/bassline? Where's the support? All of the instruments are mixed together pretty badly too; not enough balance! Everything is splashy. When the bassline finally comes in its too loud and has too much reverb. Oh, and the percussion is a drumloop included with FruityLoops.

Now, there's nothing wrong with using a premade drumloop, in my opinion, just so long as you do something interesting with it, like slicing it up and retriggering it in different sequences. But don't just drop it under whatever you have. Put some effort into your percussion.

The entire song itself is pretty close to the original too.

I think this is a fairly solid NO.

man, it takes 2 minutes before we get the beat?

that was frustrating. i'd have walked out of the club by then.

sorry, can't say i hear much skill with this submission.

it's not terrible or anything, but given the repetitive nature and lack of climactic elements..

i'm left with few reasons to want to listen to this again.

abrupt ending doesn't help either.

no