DubStep. Where to start?

Depend of what kind of sound you are searching for. The oscilliation in the song syndicate are made with a lp playing the cutoff and resonance. The aie aie sound is a bit crushed sound with maximum resonance. A lot of work is needed to reproduce something similar. You need a lot of patience, play with some effect and search for the exact sound using basic synth and chain of effect.

For the DAW, I use Fruity loop studio. This is user-friendly. Others may use reason, cubase, reaper etc. You need to find one that suite your working style.

Enjoy.

Also, there's a guy on Youtube by the name of Seamless (if I remember correctly) who made a video tutorial series called "How to bass" which is really excellent and thorough, and he also has video walkthroughs of how he made some of his dubstep tracks. He also has .flp files of his tracks available for free download. He's a really amazing resource, although admittedly, I haven't spent as much time learning from his tutorials as I would like.

Well you see, what makes DubStep DubStep is the fact that it is half time. Wobble bass is part of it, but what makes DubStep actual DubStep is the half time drums.

I use Logic Pro, and for a while I had no clue how to do DubStep related stuff. I recently figured out (and this may not and probably is not the way most people do it) that if you create the samples on a seperate file first and just create a whole bunch of cool sounds, then you can export those and stick in a beat and stuff and sample your sounds. I've found this to be the most useful way to make DubStep and make it sound very similar to the pro stuff, aka Skrillex and all.

Skrillex isn't even all real DubStep, even though so many think it is. xD

Well you see, what makes DubStep DubStep is the fact that it is half time. Wobble bass is part of it, but what makes DubStep actual DubStep is the half time drums.

I use Logic Pro, and for a while I had no clue how to do DubStep related stuff. I recently figured out (and this may not and probably is not the way most people do it) that if you create the samples on a seperate file first and just create a whole bunch of cool sounds, then you can export those and stick in a beat and stuff and sample your sounds. I've found this to be the most useful way to make DubStep and make it sound very similar to the pro stuff, aka Skrillex and all.

Skrillex isn't even all real DubStep, even though so many think it is. xD

I'm not a dubstep fan, but I do know that what you should really do is learn how to make patches on a plugin that is capable of making the sound you want for the wobbles. i.e. Massive, and if you're really good, Zebra2. *coughzirconcough*

I disagree completely. The way you sequence your drums shouldn't have any bearing on the genre, it's the mix of all the elements. There are tons of songs, including EDM tracks, with halftime drums that don't sound anything like dubstep. Why? Because that's NOT what dubstep is about.

The elements that make dubstep a unique modern genre would be the POWER and WEIGHT of the drums, things that exist regardless of how you sequence them. Thick, heavy kicks, and highly tuned/punchy snares. The wobble basses with an extreme emphasis on modulation and midrange. Soaring melodies contrasted with very dissonant or simplistic parts placing the emphasis almost entirely on drums + bass. Rapid mixing and chopping between many different synths/samples and vocal fx.

I can write you 100 songs with halftime breaks that nobody would ever call dubstep. It's those elements I just listed that really define the genre.

With regards to what synths make the most common/popular dubstep sounds from artists like Skrillex, Kill the Noise, Zomboy, Knife Party (etc)... simply put, Massive and FM8. Anything that can do FM.

http://soundcloud.com/zircon-1/fun-with-fm

This discussion is hilarious. Dubstep has some interesting components to it for sure, and it's best to use those in whatever way you want. Getting into "OMG!! FULLTIME DRUMZZ NOT DUBSTEP!" silliness is lame.

Let me put it another way: Having sex with your mom doesn't make me your dad, but it does still give me at least one level of authority over you, and in the end, it's still having sex with your mom.

But I guess it's all about electronic artists being desperate to seem original, and they'll use any miniscule difference to create a bogus "new genre" that's just a slightly altered version of an existing genre. That would be like me saying that metal is when the riffs don't use any tripets, metalstep is when riffs use triplets but no swing or odd times, jerkmetal is when the drums are halftime and all the songs are in 6. As Vanilla Ice said, it's all about that itty bitty ting.

This discussion is hilarious. Dubstep has some interesting components to it for sure, and it's best to use those in whatever way you want. Getting into "OMG!! FULLTIME DRUMZZ NOT DUBSTEP!" silliness is lame.

Let me put it another way: Having sex with your mom doesn't make me your dad, but it does still give me at least one level of authority over you, and in the end, it's still having sex with your mom.

But I guess it's all about electronic artists being desperate to seem original, and they'll use any miniscule difference to create a bogus "new genre" that's just a slightly altered version of an existing genre. That would be like me saying that metal is when the riffs don't use any tripets, metalstep is when riffs use triplets but no swing or odd times, jerkmetal is when the drums are halftime and all the songs are in 6. As Vanilla Ice said, it's all about that itty bitty ting.

Metalheads fight constantly over what kind of metal a song is. "It's death metal! No it's melodic death metal! No it's power metal! No it's not! Yes it is!"

Metalheads are fucking idiots. Music is music, and all music is good music when done well.

It's ironic how the second sentence is completely antithetical to the first in terms of a person's assumed composure. e.g. The second sentence is smarter than the first by a long shot. xD No offense, of course. Just kind of funny.

Thanks for the links/advice guys!

So now I get it. All I need for start is Zebra and/or FM8

I'd say Toxic BioHazard also has some potential.

The reason of question was simply to understand. After playing with Bitmachine and toxic, I think I get it.

I love the discussion! It's .. fun

metalstep
I wanna hear it!

Thanks for the links/advice guys!

So now I get it. All I need for start is Zebra and/or FM8

I'd say Toxic BioHazard also has some potential.

The reason of question was simply to understand. After playing with Bitmachine and toxic, I think I get it.

I love the discussion! It's .. fun

I wanna hear it!

fm8, sytrus, toxic bio , massive and sylenth 1 are my fav personally, but try demos if possible n upload renders for people to check out I guess.