OCR02531 - Final Fantasy VIII "White Magic Is for Sissies"

djpretzel

I saw most of the judges commented on the ending, and how it would benefit from more source, so I figured I'd go into detail on how I used the source during those parts. The original bit at the end (starting @ 2:50) is actually a variation of the original source "riff", being {ONE - and - a - TWO - and - a - THREE - and - FOUR - and} and replaced the {and -a}'s with triplets and the single {and}'s with doubles (this part is also played during the "solo" section starting @1:11). Everything is still in 5/8 except the china, which is acting as a precursor to the part that starts at 3:31. The 3:31 part is a polyrhythm of the main 5/8 source rhythm (but with triplets and doubles) played on guitars/bass/kick drum, and the snare is keeping it 4/4. The last 2 parts are actually still using the 5/8 source as a base. Aside from the key change, the triples and doubles (the {and} and the {and-a}) from the source are the ONLY thing being played by the rhythm section, the ONE, TWO, etc, are being played by another guitar, faintly. So yes, it's sort of an original part, but it is basically just a variation of the original source rhythm. I hope that made sense!

I'm a big fan of the source, don't know why it hasn't been done more. A really solid metal remix where the production really shines. Really powerful and punchy.

I'll agree with the judges that a little bit more variation in the middle would have been nice. I'm not too big a fan of the 8-string djent stylings that dominate the outro, but each to their own.

• 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02531 - Final Fantasy VIII "White Magic Is for Sissies"