Plug-n-play knockoffs and the like

Jax Mandrake

Hello, dear friends.

I was in a Dollar General this morning and found something I'd heard about from other net sources: a portable game system loaded with 40 Sega Genesis games.

Yes, I'm aware that these things are very common. Atari's up to the Flashback 4, each one featuring more games than the last and trying to stuff in more bells and whistles. They plug into a set of RCA ports, some of them come with wireless controllers, etc. There have been several similar variations of Genesis console-type things, of which a new one has also been seen on dollar store shelves in recent weeks.

What makes this one I saw today stand out is the content. Of the 40 games, three of them are from Capcom's library. One of them I could not discern and the others are Super Street Fighter II and Mega Man: The Wily Wars. I'd link to the product description on www.atgames.net but I'm too lazy.

I'm halfway tempted to get this one just because of the Wily Wars, but I am likely to delay until it's either cheap as free or sold out forever and hope that in the meantime Capcom will put together yet another compilation in some form with the Wily Wars in it.

I want to see your opinions on this kind of thing. Go!

LOL. I know exactly what you're talking about. I was looking at it yesterday at Dollar General too.

I was interested in it, but I already have a working Sega Genesis and an emulator on my compy. Also, the box seemed awfully light, as if there was nothing in there.

If you decide to get it, open it and check everything before you buy it. There's alot of craziness going on out there.

Hello, dear friends.

I was in a Dollar General this morning and found something I'd heard about from other net sources: a portable game system loaded with 40 Sega Genesis games.

Yes, I'm aware that these things are very common. Atari's up to the Flashback 4, each one featuring more games than the last and trying to stuff in more bells and whistles. They plug into a set of RCA ports, some of them come with wireless controllers, etc. There have been several similar variations of Genesis console-type things, of which a new one has also been seen on dollar store shelves in recent weeks.

What makes this one I saw today stand out is the content. Of the 40 games, three of them are from Capcom's library. One of them I could not discern and the others are Super Street Fighter II and Mega Man: The Wily Wars. I'd link to the product description on www.atgames.net but I'm too lazy.

I'm halfway tempted to get this one just because of the Wily Wars, but I am likely to delay until it's either cheap as free or sold out forever and hope that in the meantime Capcom will put together yet another compilation in some form with the Wily Wars in it.

I want to see your opinions on this kind of thing. Go!

To put it bluntly, Atgames Genesis products suck. Whether it's the XX-in-1 consoles, or the handheld devices, they just can't get it right. The video is serviceable, but the sound is always horribly off, and there are even glitches at times while playing. The company simply can't seem to make a solid Genesis clone to save it's hide.

So yeah, avoid it. If you don't believe me, hop on YouTube and look up some reviews that actually have someone playing the games. It makes even early Genesis EMUs look better by comparison.

I'm being completely sincere here. Forgive the lack of pretense, but I was reading through the paper, and an add for Walgreens said 30 bucks after card for a Sega plug and play, but 80 games, not 40. It remained stuck in the back of my head, as my lady and I saw it at Dollar General for 40. Again, this was 80 games and two wireless controllers. Sounds like an absolute steal to me, and looks like it will end up my christmas present as I had to fight off the urge in front of the lady.

Yeah, do the math. Genesis games on virtual console - 8 dollars a pop. Times 80? 640 bucks, not including the price of classic controllers (and taxes,of course) Anyway, are you sure it's just 40? All the ones down here say 80.

I'm being completely sincere here. Forgive the lack of pretense, but I was reading through the paper, and an add for Walgreens said 30 bucks after card for a Sega plug and play, but 80 games, not 40. It remained stuck in the back of my head, as my lady and I saw it at Dollar General for 40. Again, this was 80 games and two wireless controllers. Sounds like an absolute steal to me, and looks like it will end up my christmas present as I had to fight off the urge in front of the lady.

Yeah, do the math. Genesis games on virtual console - 8 dollars a pop. Times 80? 640 bucks, not including the price of classic controllers (and taxes,of course) Anyway, are you sure it's just 40? All the ones down here say 80.

Listen to The Coop -- these boxes emulate old consoles so poorly it's pathetic. You're much better off just grabbing a Genesis emulator online and playing the games that way...a practice that won't cost you anything, I might point out.

I didn't even see Coop's post. Oh well. I already use emu anyway. My Genesis fried but I still have a decent collection of games. If the emulation were solid I'd call it a steal (and according to the coop it's not). I've never actually used a plug and play before but have heard both good and bad.

I think you are looking at the other 'new' Genesis knock-off, which does not have the Capcom games in it. The one to which I refer is kinda like a six-button Game Gear. 40 games are built into the hardware, and the box states that you can load 40 more games onto an SD card. No external controllers, if I correctly remember.

The one with the controllers and stuff is in a larger box with screenshots of most of the games' titles. Amusing to me is the double screen grab of the title of Gain Ground. The forty games below the genuine Genesis games all look like they're from Generic Arcadey Wannabe Corp. I suspect these would be the games one would get if one bothered to download them to the SD card (sold separately, of course).

As previously stated, I might be tempted to pick it up solely for the Wily Wars, provided there are any left after the holiday shopping season, they're marked down so I could afford one on bottle deposits, and Capcom outright states that it'll never be available on a compilation or digital download service.

Yeah, I'm at least that snobby.

Could also just grab the Sega Genesis Classics pack if you wanna get a bunch of games officially endorsed by Sega. I got the first 5 packs via download for $5 during Black Friday on amazon. 50 games total, with some really good ones like Streets of Rage series, Phantasy Star 2-4, Shinobi games, etc with no DRM.

Best to wait and see if they go on sale again soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Edit: Apparently there are multiple versions of the Sega knock-offs so take this into perspective before purchasing. I would also consider one of the official Sega game compilations for PS3, 360, etc. if you are in doubt or are a purist. This is the one that I received, purchased at price of 40$ locally:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=26044917&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Google-_-PLA-_-26044917

A review of an earlier version of the same device:

http://sega-addicts.murnaumusic.com/?p=12534

According to multiple sources this version is Sega-licensed. The current one has more games but has swapped out a few titles, plus wireless controls in addition to ports for old controllers.

So. I figured I would just add this to thread and give a little review on the Sega plug and play device that's been littering dollar general and various drugstores across the U.S. I took The Coop's advice and steered clear of purchasing one. My lady overheard my interest in it and decided to purchase one. So, for anyone who might care, here's the breakdown.

There are 80 games total. 40 were originally released on the Genesis console. The other 40 are strange little games that look like they belong on a leapfrog or one of those todder consoles. Then again, some of them are interesting, but I won't dwell on them.

Like the Coop said, the emulation isn't perfect on all of the games. The coloration isn't always right, and the sound and effects sound quite different on some games like Streets of Rage and Sonic. Others seem spot on, like Shinobi III, Altered Beast and Echo the Dolphin. The selection of games is pretty good. I have yet to see an actual glitch and the console is quite stable. Worth it? I don't know it's kinda a toss up, but....

The wireless controllers are decent, and the console part itself doesn't take a lot of space, but here's where the deal-sealer comes into place: The thing is a fully functional Sega console. I tested multiple cartridges plus the old controllers (it has two ports) and could not tell that I wasn't playing an original Genesis. Being that I gave my last Genesis away due to having a soft spot for kids who don't own Sega consoles, I was quite happy with it. I just had games, controllers and accessories lying around, so it has secured a welcome spot on my console shelf as the new Sega of the household.

So, regarding the fact that it is a fully functional Sega, and that it has 40 games, perfect or not (but functional and responsive), plus 40 random games that are oddly amusing if not deep or of high quality, I'd say go for it. I hope that the device continues to be reliable. That will be the test. So yeah, if money's not an issue, give it a spin. Those expecting perfect emulation please steer clear. Streets of Rage 2 sounds a little out of tune at parts - Those looking for a cheap Sega plus some essential Sega games built in, consider it.