*NO* Super Metroid 'The Ceres Event'

Liontamer

Remixer name: On Being Human

Email:

UserID: 50551

Game arranged: Super Metroid

Name of Arrangement: "The Ceres Event"

Name of songs arranged "Title Theme" and "Prologue"

We wanted to recreate the opening titles of Super Metroid in a way that would be faithful to the original. We kept it cinematic while trying to add elements of hard rock to give the track a little bit of our own twist.

Edited by Palpable
closed

The mixing was pretty flooded for the densest sections (e.g. 1:24-1:33, 2:01-2:37; 2:37-2:55 less so) and almost sounded like distortion, which was unfortunate, since this had great energy. That said, I wouldn't hold it against anyone who voted NO on those grounds, and I'm leaning that way myself since we're basically not doing conditional votes anymore.

Better separation of the parts would help this sound much better, but it could be argued the arrangements carries it. This held fast to the structure of the source, but personalized the performance extremely well. The new part-writing was subtle but well-integrated, and the energy was amped up nicely.

I could easily change this vote if the loudest section were toned down a bit and the mixing were addressed there so the parts had more breathing room. It's still an awesome arrangement, and if the mixing were better, it would have bypassed the panel, for sure.

NO (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. Nice intro. I love your brass hits. Awesome percussion. I listened to this submission a week ago and didn't vote, I can't remember why...

Definitely hearing some Maserati/Godspeed you! black emperor....

Okay I'm hearing larry's complaints about the mix and I agree, there could be better separation, but I'm going to go ahead and say it ain't a dealbreaker for me, and while the arrangement is pretty conservative, the adaptation is so slick and there's plenty of character added.

YES

on the issue of the mixing, I definitely agree with Larry. I'm still gonna fall on the YES side of this vote, but I'd definitely prefer if the mixing were cleaned up just a bit more, with some of those louder sections and hits being toned back a bit (while still in keeping the excellent dynamics).

absolutely great piece otherwise; lovely samples and performances, powerful arrangement. awesome work.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
on the issue of the mixing, I definitely agree with Larry. I'm still gonna fall on the YES side of this vote, but I'd definitely prefer if the mixing were cleaned up just a bit more, with some of those louder sections and hits being toned back a bit (while still in keeping the excellent dynamics).

absolutely great piece otherwise; lovely samples and performances, powerful arrangement. awesome work.

Oh yeah?? Well I agree with Larry too, but I fall on the NO side of the line, so there! In all seriousness, this is a badass arrangement that absolutely deserves to be on the site IF the remixers can clean it up a little bit. The distortion is really apparent in several places (mostly on those booming drums) and hurts it. A version with that fixed would be very well-received.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so this is incredibly awesome. The guitar recording leaves much to be desired with the tinniness and noisiness of it. Its a shame because the other sounds are great. The percussion is completely fantastic. However, this is TOO LOUD. Turn it down. Its fine during the quieter sections like the intro but damn its hot and its clipping. Loud is good but we've got volume knobs for that :) The mix sounds reasonable mixing wise but it is very busy during those louder sections to the point its just a massive wall of sound. Stereo separation could help somewhat but the mixing itself sounds ok to me, its just very busy and noisy due to the loudness. I think just turning this down would give the track much more breathing room.

Arrangement is great, its dynamic, the sources are handled well...

This is good stuff.

Just turning it down so its not so distorted and clipping badly and I think the track would be ok. More Stereo separation could help. I'm not really a fan of that guitar recording... which apparently is just me but oh well, not deal-breaker anyway :P

Hmm.

So... great arrangement, great dynamics, great samples, good mixing (it does sound balanced well to me, its just squashed due to loudness from what I can tell).

I've conditionaled - (Not a real word sozzzzz) - something recently and other judges seems to be against conditionals right now... Just turning down the master so its not clipping and has more breathing space would change this from a NO to YES imo. So yeah i'll conditional. Good luck with the rest of the vote.

YES(conditional)

Edited by WillRock

This would be ridiculously awesome to see performed live. LOVE what you've done here, and the arrangement is stellar. Unfortunately, as the gentlemen have all hit on before me (with various results), the loudness war is being won here, and not in a good way. Definitely another pass on the mixing to bring it down just a touch and to separate the parts more would make this all that more enjoyable. Please send this back!

NO (resubmit, please!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing some pretty obvious distortion on the louder sections, and I think while the arrangement is pretty sweet, it's harder to appreciate when there is crackling. Adjust the volume to a bit more sane level, and resub it. Very dramatic and I'd love for this to be on the site, but it needs a bit more polish on the levels. It does feel like it pretty much ends just when the peak is hit, which I guess is fine, but it loses a bit of structural excitement then. Having a longer ending, or something that doesn't suddenly amp up and then stop would be a stronger whole. Look at how long the different sections are. The intro builds for a super long time, and then when there isn't as much care put into the ending, it doesn't feel balanced.

No, please resubmit