Compile Heart, Final Fantasy's Amano & Uematsu Make RPG

Brandon Strader

Just saw this and it looks like an awesome teaser. The only thing it really teases is EARTHBOUND PAPAS, and a couple flashes of something I couldn't make out, but looked fancy.

Check it out:

Kotaku calls it some kind of "Niche RPG". I also don't know what that means.

"Yoshitaka Amano of Final Fantasy fame, Nobuo Uematsu (and his band the Earthbound Papas) of Final Fantasy music fame, and the Hyperdimension Neptunia team are all listed as participating."

Having said that, it's from the company who made this (nsisfw):

So.....

tumblr_lbnnuyzsVz1qc4j0a.png

Kotaku is terrible, stop reading them.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-04-25/compile-heart-final-fantasy-amano-and-uematsu-make-rpg

Compile Heart streamed an earlier "image movie" on Wednesday to unveil the Galapagos RPG brand for games catering to Japanese players.

So they're making a jRPG, "Catering to Japanese players." I honestly have no idea what that (As in, what a "Japanese player" would prefer) means anymore, but I think catering to an exclusive part of the world isn't something you can do on a larger budget nowadays. Smallish games can get away with it, but the need for bigger profits as budgets grow clashes with "cater to a small exclusive group of people"

Edited by Lyrai

Well if it's niché perhaps it's old-school style JRPG's none of this XIII-autobattle stuff or these western Third Person Shooter/RPGs like Mass Effect.

It would be Amano and Uematsu's familiar domain after all.

What interests me is how it's these guys and they've moved away from Square to make an RPG.

God I wish I hadn't watched that first video.

Im ok with this. Besides a lot of unnecessary fanservice, compile heart makes pretty good games. Record of awarest war was great except for the stupid difficulty. And the fanservice could be completely ignored too so that's a plus.

Can't wait for this. Here's hoping I don't have to import this sucker! Or at least ill import the soundtrack because that's probably the coolest thing about this so far.

Gotta love how some people are getting excited over this just cause it has Yoshitaka Amano and Nobuo Uematsu working on it, and they brush aside the part where Compile Heart is developing, the same Compile Heart that makes average games at best. =/

That's why I posted the 2nd teaser and the squinting DiCaprio.

But with Amano on (who I think was a programmer) and Uematsu for music, that at least covers a pretty wide spectrum of areas that could potentially suck and probably won't. I don't know anything about the Neptunia series at all but I have a friend on facebook who digs it.

That's a joke, right?

My bad, I got confused with another Japanese person. /shrug

Hironubo Sakaguchi is actually hanging out with an old Final Fantasy programmer, which is where the confusion came from, so hopefully that leads to even more potentially awesome games.

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 2 weeks later...
so it's going to be a bad game

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-05-08/compile-heart-final-fantasy-amano-and-uematsu-reveal-fairy-fencer-f-rpg

So far, it looks like it's going to be moé as fuck

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21oq4r4&s=5 Promo poster for it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/08/fairy-fencer-f-uses-an-enhanced-version-of-neptunias-battle-system/

Siliconera states it will use Neptunia's battle system, and Amano's duties are concept art, while the dude who did the Neptunia designs is the main character designer.

Um.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Edited by Lyrai

So "appealing to japanese players" really means "appealing to creepy japanese otaku who love their moe body pillows too much". Talk about a niche game. I forsee uncomfortable jailbait panty shots and similar scenes throughout the game.

Yeah, as much as I love Uematsu and Amano's work, it seems like this is the kind of game that might be coming out of this. And if so, count me out.

• 2 months later...