*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Frosted Rage Flakes'

DragonAvenger

Remix:

Original: Final Fantasy 3/6 Umaro's Theme

Remixer: HoboKa

Composer: Nobuo Umetsai (I think? Correct me if wrong)

Description:

Hey all, this remix was for the FF6 Balance/Ruin competition a while back. Probably should have submitted this to the panel thereafter, like 8 months ago or so, but finally got around to it. Anyhoo, I went for a more campy feel that's borderline OLR material I'm sure, however, I did put a lot of attention to detail and lots of cool percs 'n stuff. Gario described the mix as kind of a sexy feel, not really what I intended but hey, sexy is a good thing right?

--------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a nice step up from what I am used to hearing from your solo work, so nice work to continue to improve!

The sounds chosen were pretty solid and yes, campy, but the song had charm, and it was silly and fun. The arrangement was pretty solid, and the instruments chosen were good; Dat Darkesax! I think the synths and samples need a bit more humanization, they are pretty stiff, and while part of it adds to it; a little swing in there would really help the samples feel more natural.

The drums overall could use some humanization as well, especially some of the cymbal hits in the middle, where they sounded super similar. A slightly higher end sample library would help that automatically by giving you a solid round-robin.

Mixing balance was fine, the soundscape has some meat to it, and the section at 1:00 is really nice where the bass takes the melody, and the sitar comes in. The mix is pretty short at less than 2 min, but it pretty much says what it needs to and gets out. I think some further variation would help the length a bit, as it doesn't develop a ton, but it's fine overall.

Ultimately I think this is close, but the humanization is an issue for me; i'd love to hear it fixed up a bit and resubbed, because I think the song is fun.

No, please resubmit

This is a very cute and fun little track. It has enough source with some nice personalization. The instrument choices are definitely campy, I love the quacky little brass synth in particular! Sfx are fun too.

Some of these samples are pretty weak, the main sax in particular. I'm impressed with how well it is used though! The drums are weak and distant too, but similarly they add to the cheesy atmo created here.

The mixing sounds pretty good overall, good balance, reverb levels are generally working (although most of the sfx are a bit too up-front and dry), nothing is competing too much for space. Bass could be a bit better defined. I like how you've used the bass in this track, though. Oh man those identical crashes from 1:20 to 1:29...

I'd like the track a bit better if some instruments were widened somewhat, everything sounds like it is sitting dead center with the exception of crashes, hats and other high-end percussion. As it stands, the soundscape feels unnecessarily narrow.

I agree the writing and sequencing is quite stiff, and a lot more personality could be added with some more groove here and there, but yet, for what this is, for that cheesy vibe, the stiffness seems almost ok... but what about adding a swingy hat pattern in the background somewhere, or some other swingy element, just to make it less robotic and more groovy?

I'm torn here, this is close for me because I identify with what you're trying to do here, and I say kudos for doing the absolute most with these samples. I think in the end though, those samples are bringing this below the bar. I like the arrangement and the variety you've got going here. With some sample upgrades and a bit more groove, I might take this just seriously enough to pass it.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

Ever seen Stoppit and Tidyup? Crazy kids TV show narrated by Terry Wogan, this remix would have fit perfectly with that show, the opening music is so similar :P -

So I can TOTALLY see what you're going for here. That opening synth is great, but I feel like the drums lack quite a bit of punch, and dat sax is a bit weak, altho it does have some charm to it in context. The bass isn't very strong either, I feel like a new "squelchy" bass like that synth could work.

Humanisation would help. Also, more panning would help.

Its a very cool idea, but atm, I'm bordering on the No. What you've got here is great tho. A great base, but i'm going to have to give this a "big bad I said NO" (resub)

Edited by WillRock

Who's Nobuo Umetsai? :lol:

Just chiming in since the Js enjoyed this one.

Super basic textures, though some good basic effects to fill out the soundfield. That said, dat sax sample is LONELY and sounded super exposed. Much better stuff at :57 with the sitar and a lead that had a flowing, more natural sound.

The parts together were almost off-key at 1:18; not quite, but it was very weird how those instruments sound together. The stiff timing on that sax never sounds good. It the tone didn't sound so fake and the timing didn't sound so robotic, this concept could work better.

Interesting cover concept where you do a good job trying to personalize the sound. Like Chimpa said, this needs sample/effects improvements and some production TLC to make the overall sound richer and more natural. It's not borderline to making it, but this has potential.

NO