OCR02931 - Half-Life 2 'I Tried'

This is outstandingly trippy. Love the sound design. Like someone's tuning an AM radio in each ear sometimes. Some good jamming, some strange but effective phrases, and glorious bouts of ambiance. I love that something so experimental got put on display at OCR, very nice. We need more experimentation! :-)

Forgot to add, that I love the title.

Edited by Brandon Strader

I love all the FM synths populating this excellent soundscape. The textures here are not abrasive, and quite accessible. You never know what's going to happen next, but it's still very much appreciable. Clem's arrangements are always so outgoing, and occasionally out there, but if you had never heard his style before, you'll remember it now!

Edited by timaeus222

Hoo boy, this is the kind of music that never seems to resonate with me. Impressively fluid and distant, it's just too fluid and distant to connect with my brain. :P The echoing synth at 0:55 should, I think, bring me into the melody, but it pushes me away with a sort of dissonant disinterest.

That said, I ended up with a melancholy sensation of deep, dark gray waters-- a vivid sensation-- so the music's doing something cool all right! Just not my cup of deep, dark gray waters.

It's like ambiance with a pulse, which I can actually get behind. The sounds are so outlandish, but they work in an oddly cohesive way, like they are just meant to go together. Some of the synths and bliptrips weren't my thing on a personal taste level, but stylistically, this was a pretty good arrangement. Everything is so uneasy, but it still works as a whole picture, which is always interesting to hear. Cool stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Once again, the mix makes sense once it nears its end (those synths are super AT-like). Things are definitely clearer on the second listen. Not an easy swallow but worth the effort. The ambient side of this is deep and imaginative, not that the percussion has any issues.

• 2 weeks later...