Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Sony stock drops a bit after reports of the PS3 overheating and crashing at TGS. Which is to be expected, since the place was supposed to be uncomfortably hot, with no AC and the cabinets the sysetms were in had poor air circulation. Not to mention that the hardware for the PS3 is supposed to be running pretty warm to begin with, and it was on all day.

But that still doesn't prevent fanboys from all three sides taking shots at each other, does it? :roll:

Actually, it follows a trend of unreliable hardware from Sony. Investors are afraid that he benefits from the PS3 will take too long and that they risk short term loss from their actions. Sony stocks have not been doing so well lately, if I remember correctly.

Reasonable investor behaviour.

the consumers have come to gripes with the price.

Oh don't worry, I've been griping about the price for months :wink:

It sucks that the price of the PS3 is so high, but if anything, it shows how much consumers want it. I'm sure many really are working to save up for it.

Until they are sold, it means nothing.

I can't believe how short you people's memories are. Didn't we go through this like a year ago? "OMG PSP WILL BE $400 WHO THE HELL WILL BUY IT OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG" (PSP is released for $250) "Oh."

They've already announced a price drop in Japan. When has there EVER been a system that sold for less in Japan at launch than in the states? It's always more expensive over here, because the fanatics will pay anything.

The bottom line, as I said a million times when people were flipping out about the price they THOUGHT the PSP was going to retail for, is that arguing/worrying/flaming/trolling about the price of the PS3 is extremely pointless until the system is ACTUALLY released. Sure, it wil be more expensive than the Wii and the 360, but you get a lot of bang for your buck. A lot of people are willing to pay that much, some aren't. That's basically all you need to know.

Well, expect the PS3 sales to skyrocket in 2007 when all the hype and buying-frenzy is built up thanks to the obviously staged shortage of units.

And there seems to be a lot of killer aps already for 2007 for the PS3. Especially with RPGs which will just about guarantee a strong showing, possibly better than the Wii sales, since the Wii really doesn't have too many killer ap titles outside the Nintendo branding and the RPGs don't have the weight of the brand that Sony has.

Atleast in Japan, the thing should sell well. Maybe in North America, it might be neck and neck with the 360 since both offer similar things with the exception of the Sony exclusives and JRPGs.

Well, expect the PS3 sales to skyrocket in 2007 when all the hype and buying-frenzy is built up thanks to the obviously staged shortage of units.

Are you really sure about that?

I mean, it's certainly logical and possible. But if that were the case, why would they have to delay launch in Europe? Did they just want to flip Europe off or what? :P

Although I'm sure that they knew for a long time there wouldn't be a lot of units due to production costs, I don't think they staged the production errors and Blu Ray issues that caused them to reduce their expected shipment numbers and push back the launch in Europe. That's just going overboard. :?

Atleast in Japan, the thing should sell well. Maybe in North America, it might be neck and neck with the 360 since both offer similar things with the exception of the Sony exclusives and JRPGs.

By Sony exclusives, do you mean games exclusive to Sony, or features? If you just said "with the exception of Sony exclusive games..." I think that is kind of wierd, because both systems have exclusive games.

By Sony exclusives, do you mean games exclusive to Sony, or features? If you just said "with the exception of Sony exclusive games..." I think that is kind of wierd, because both systems have exclusive games.

Well both have exclusives, but Sony has some real big exclusives, like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, etc. There are some Xbox exclusives I'm very interested in, but Sony has titles out there that will really sway the crowd.

Well both have exclusives, but Sony has some real big exclusives, like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, etc. There are some Xbox exclusives I'm very interested in, but Sony has titles out there that will really sway the crowd.

That's true, I know MGS4 is definitely a really big one. But still, Xbox 360 does have it's big exclusives too, especially Halo 3 and Gears of War. Also, Square said they are spreading out their games equally this generation, unlike the last where it was mostly PS2.

Anywho, I'm not trying to say which exclusives are better. I just think it was weird to not even consider the 360's, given Halo's popularity alone.

That's true, I know MGS4 is definitely a really big one. But still, Xbox 360 does have it's big exclusives too, especially Halo 3 and Gears of War. Also, Square said they are spreading out their games equally this generation, unlike the last where it was mostly PS2.

Anywho, I'm not trying to say which exclusives are better. I just think it was weird to not even consider the 360's, given Halo's popularity alone.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Halo 3 and will have a 360 by the time it comes out. But generally Halo is the only REALLY big name franchise the 360 has. Yes, there are other great exclusives, but if you made a list of exclusive game franchises that random people on the street recognise, 95% of that list will be games on Nintendo or Sony systems.

Also, the thing with Sony and Microsoft consoles is the expectation that they will have a giant wave of 3rd party titles to choose from. Nintendo's 3rd party titles weren't exactly lacking, but in comparison to its competition, the offerings were a bit slim for them since the N64 era. MS already has a few worthy games that would take a high end computer to even run them on a PC. And some versions like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is supposedly way better on the 360. That, and the tightnit Xbox Live functionality is one of the major sellingpoints of the console. The competition is trying to copy its model, but it should take them a while (like a year) to iron out the bugs and have readily online features. Then again, the 360 was made for online functionality (minus browser). Others just seems to tack it on with the downloadable library of games. But the PS3's single player games are what sells consoles anyway.

Yeah, I mostly agree. Except about Sony and Nintendo tacking online functionality on with a downloadable library, I would have to disagree on that with the Wii. The Wii seems to be pretty focused on online connectivity. The most, I'd say. Although, this is not just playing multiplayer games online, this is general online functionality. I mean, the whole Wii Channels thing; every channel uses internet, and only a few of the given channels don't require internet to be used. Plus new channels are created and distributed to Wiis through the internet. Plus the whole WiiConnect24 thing, sending DS game demos, Mii Parades, emailing photos, web browser, virtual console (they said they will sell new games on VC too), message boards, etc. As for the actual multiplayer online functionality, which is probably what you were specifically referring to being X360's selling point, Nintendo hasn't really even released any details on that at all, but given the fact that the Wii is pretty much centered around online, I would say it's safe to assume they are at least putting a bit more focus onto it than, say, the DS's Wifi internet service. But even without considering multiplayer online, one of the Wii's selling points is that it is basically internet on your TV. They seem to like to talk about being able to do things like browse the internet, send emails and photos to family members, etc. at the comfort of your couch or recliner with a simple remote, with this console that is always online, and always able to come out of sleep mode at the press of a button, just like turning on your TV.

Then again, that's only a selling point assuming Nintendo will be able to tap into this market of non/casual gamers, so we'll just have to wait and see. Anyways, I'm sure every console will do well enough, so I don't even know why I'm worrying about which one will do the best or whatever. I guess speculating on how well the consoles will sell is about all we can do while waiting for them to finally be released.

Why the hell would you want to browse the internet on your TV? Without a keyboard no less. The only think I could think of is watching flash movies on your TV, but you can do that easily with a video out cable from your laptop.

XboxLive is good because it focuses on games. TONS of Xbox games are ready for online play. Nintendo is just throwing all kinds of gimmicky shit in there to make it seem like you are getting a lot for your money. But honestly, how many times after the first week you have your Wii will you use it to check the weather or email photos? Unless you have no computer access (scratch EVERY PERSON posting here) TV intarweb is useless. Get some decent multiplayer games for the Wii and I'd be interested. But so far there is what? Wii Sports? How can that possibly compare to the dozens of FPS games, MMORPGs, fighting games, and all other kinds of games with large userbases on XboxLive?

the 360 has mmo's? huh... makes sense... I wonder why I never know about that...

FF11

Edit: In the end it is games and nothing more, just the games, it is a videoGAME. who ever brings the biggest and best games to the table is going to win, Its the games that sell the system not the system that sells the games. The only reason I would/will get a pse s for MGS4 Final Fanasty, Killzone2 Gran Trusimo, Tekken. Its all about the games, Yes Xbox360 has some games id like toohuman, gears of war and halo3 but in the end its just a prefrence, of which games are "better"

PS3 is getting Oblivion. The deal keeps looking better >_>

The same reason I don't want the 360's Oblivion also stands here. No mods. D:

Yup, if I was to get Oblivion, I would get the PC version just because people will be adding new things to the game.