• Alex Mourey, Callum Kennedy, Mac Hunter
  •  
  • www.fflproduction.fr

Submission Information

• Super Mario Galaxy
  • B&M
  • Nemesis King Koopa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OOYZcVIp8w
  • Mahito Yokota & Koji Kondo / Nintendo Wii
  • Comments: This remix was done for a Super Mario Galaxy 10th Anniversary project. My favorite track from the soundtrack is the one that plays during the battles with Bowser. The inspiration behind this remix is the S&M album by Metallica: a double live album where the band plays along with the San Fransisco Symphonic orchestra -- truly a great performance. It's metal and orchestra, and it's (almost) never wrong! Features my good pals Tuberz McGee on the guitars and Furilas on the bass -- thanks a ton, as always, guys!

Hope it's all good -- let me know if it's not! ;)

Cheers,

I love the concept for this remix, the combination of instrumentation is excellent.  The guitars and drums are well performed.  The arrangement is good although somewhat repetitive. The fast strings starting at 1:38 sound very fake and unhuman, and at that point I can also hear how heavily the entire mix is compressed.  The waveform looks quite compressed through most of the track as well.  The quiet section from 3:32-3:40 feels out of place and the transition at 3:40 is abrupt (no transition really).  What do you other Js think?

edit 2/15/17:  Revisiting this.  Nothing dealbreaker here despite a few nitpicks, let's go with it.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/05/20 - (1?) Super Mario Galaxy 'B&M'

Very nice rock orchestra comin' out of this, and it just fits that source like a glove. The source is very readily recognizeable, and yet there are enough moments of guitar interpretation and style differences throughout that makes it something else. I love it. I feel sometimes the rhythm guitar's tone isn't very well defined (often between 'chugs' it sounds like one note being struck rather than a series of notes), but that's a bit of a personal preference than anything else. Some people like that tone, some people don't - I land in the latter category.

I looked at the waveform, and while there's not much dynamic variation, I don't see or hear any particular compression issues, per se. Throughout the track there's enough variation in the arrangement so that the track doesn't feel too static, either, so I think they did alright in that area. I DO catch the mechanical instruments in the background, though, and they do stand out when the faster runs are present (such as at 1:50, and in similar cases throughout). For faster orchestral lines the attack envelope should be tighter - don't give the attacks any swell or else the instrument loses its presence, and sounds fake to boot. For the bigger, boomier sections the instruments sound reasonably handled (though the attacks are still a bit too soft), but the humanization certainly has room for improvement.

There is certainly room for disagreement on how bad the mechanical orchestra is in this case, but I don't think it takes the track as a whole down to a NO; it still rocks where it counts. Nice work!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

This part of a project, incidentally.  I'm flagging it as such.

Arrangement is firing on all fronts.  The source is used clearly, and even when it takes a backseat to original content, you could insert those sections back into the original and it would make sense (with appropriate instrumentation, of course).  I liked the brief quiet section, personally, and the abrupt transitions were exactly what I would expect in an arrangement like this.

That robo-orchestra is easily the weakest element here.  I felt like the brass was more of an issue than the strings, personally, especially right out in the beginning and again at 3:32, but the quick repeats, like at 1:50, sound terribly mechanical as well.  Since you're specifically mimicking an album with the San Francisco Symphonic, it's a big deal.

That is, however, the only significant issue here.  These guys know their guitars, and the production is otherwise spot-on.  I'm with Gario; I would love for some better humanization but I don't think it's strictly required to pass this.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Bad internet connection ate my vote so I'll sum it up quickly. Agreeing with the guys that the orchestral stuff is a bit mechanical, but I agree it's not a deal breaker, and I'm hearing improvements from your previous mixes in that regard. Definitely keep working on improving those orchestra chops further, but nice work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/05/20 - *YES- TAG* Super Mario Galaxy 'B&M' *PROJECT*
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04371 - *YES* Super Mario Galaxy "B&M"