Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP88_Ngmmdave.mid

Youtube:

Deadline: Feb Fri 28 @ 1PM

Vote Ends: Jan Feb 30 @ 11PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

8 hours ago, APZX said:

@HoboKa

Sorry to say, but you also got the wrong tune on YouTube. It should be 

Weird.  My hyperlinks aren't showing the image anymore.  Same when I copy the image from wikipedia or what have you.  I should probably bring that up to OCR staff.  EDIT) And big thanks for setting me right there.  Been an awful start to my day...

EDIT)

Firefox isn't working with hyperlinks or reactions at OCR.  It also doesn't open up ANY hyperlink within Outlook.live.com.  Firefox why you betray me?

Is anyone else having trouble with the MIDI file? I don't think it's quite synced up correctly, and I've having trouble finding one that's working properly. I'll work with this one (as it's the easiest to manipulate, but it'll take some time), but I'm wondering if we can get another solution. I've got an idea for it and I'm going to try it out.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:27 PM, Zorrakh said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the MIDI file? I don't think it's quite synced up correctly, and I've having trouble finding one that's working properly. I'll work with this one (as it's the easiest to manipulate, but it'll take some time), but I'm wondering if we can get another solution. I've got an idea for it and I'm going to try it out.

Indeed.  The midi lacks something, can't put my finger on it.  Oh and, I checked it out for about 5 minutes and couldn't find any pitch bends that the source tune thrived on.  x_X

Hey, thanks for the offer.

And yeah - I've made a little classic remix of Dave 's Theme (one of my favourite theme) from Maniac Mansion some time ago that goes over into a driving rock remix.
Guess you mean this one here >>>

Therefore I combined a short self-written piano intro with an arrangement which is pretty close to the original.
I guess I used the Ngmmdave.mid file from above as a base for creating the remix.

Hope you enjoy this one as fans of the game.
I'll probably keep working on this track in the future.

Hey, that's cool you dropped down to say hi and for feedback Master Yi!!.  Are you interested in joining in this round?  Need an account activation at ThaSauce?  Also, nice remix - definitely retains the awesome groove and evolves a lot as it goes.  2:20 surprised me - wasn't expecting an epic metal segue hahaha.  Sexy.  

EDIT

Oops getting ahead of myself.  If you do intend to submit this entry, you'd need to either do a different take or develop this one further - going by PRC rules here, since we're trying to make an even playing ground for the other entrants who have to start at square one (that being the MIDI in most cases lol)

Wow! I doubt I have time to participate, unfortunately, but I'm thrilled to see Maniac Mansion getting some love. This is a great theme, lots of nostalgia for me. I spent so many hours playing this game, really loved that there were multiple ways to beat it. (And not to make this about me, but I did offer up two Maniac Mansion remixes on American Pixels, ya know, https://mazedude.bandcamp.com/album/american-pixels, nudge nudge wink wink. Maybe I should get one of them on OCR, eh?)

In some long lost Overclocked After Dark podcast, I also spoke at length about how this soundtrack needs more remixing. That said, I'm really looking forward to hearing the outcome of this!

17 hours ago, Mazedude said:

Wow! I doubt I have time to participate, unfortunately, but I'm thrilled to see Maniac Mansion getting some love. This is a great theme, lots of nostalgia for me. I spent so many hours playing this game, really loved that there were multiple ways to beat it. (And not to make this about me, but I did offer up two Maniac Mansion remixes on American Pixels, ya know, https://mazedude.bandcamp.com/album/american-pixels, nudge nudge wink wink. Maybe I should get one of them on OCR, eh?)

In some long lost Overclocked After Dark podcast, I also spoke at length about how this soundtrack needs more remixing. That said, I'm really looking forward to hearing the outcome of this!

Shameless self promotion time ftw.  You sly, sly devil you, Christopher.  I couldn't help but purchase the album ;) 

Since we're on the topic of self promo-stuff, I've kinda kept it on the down-low, but I've got 2 albums in the works, for some time (maybe too long). One is kind of a weird general-interests Electronic-Hybrid, and the other will be more focused on thematic VGM for game, visual novel and video stuff, so I'm hoping to make 'a limited creative commons license' and all that jazz.  

Also, thanks for coming down to MnP to put in the good word and stuff Mazedude - it really helps reinforce my resolve to press on with the competition :)  (same with the rest of you guys :D) 

EDIT Sorry - I'm laying on things wayyy too thick, my bad!  Its hard to filter my thoughts when I get this excited.  TWO awesome OCR vets coming down to pay homage to a classic game at the MnP venue, got me a bit excited overmuch.  Curse you ADHD and possible autism!!!  Right...to make things less awkward, I vow to do up my own entry.  Better put on your best game, folks >: 3

8 hours ago, Mazedude said:

If I wasn't so slammed this week, I'd put something together. Sorry; between the job, the family, church events, and a side music gig (with tight deadlines, but it's really cool, more info to come later), my hands are full. Hopefully you get some last minute love coming your way though!

Could you do up an entry if I did an extension of 2 days?  EDIT (Side-gig eh?  Hope it turns out well; also what's it about?)