Nintendo Wii

Smoke

While everyone has been busy absorbing Super Mario Galaxy 2, I've been tackling last week's release of Trauma Team instead. Anybody else have this? I'm loving the variety. Not that I didn't like the surgical bullet time from the previous games, but there really is a lot to enjoy here. So far I've finished endoscopy, orthopedics (ROCK SOLID), and forensics, and am moving onto first response next.

Of course, I'll be going back to all three of those later, cause there seems to be a long run of endgame missions that tie all six fields together that you can't access until you beat them each individually first.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (yes, that's it's actual name) back up again after not having played it in a while. Holy crap, I forgot how completely and utterly ridiculously awesome it is in every possible way.

If you liked the original Crystal Chronicles at all, or if you enjoy things that are awesome, then definitely give Crystal Bearers a try. It should be pretty cheap to pick up used, and it really has to be played to be believed.

so would it be appropriate to ask what kinds of good games there are on the wii or should I just attempt to read the entire thread

cause other than Muramasa (which is the only wii game that I've seen that I really want) and the requisite Mario and Metroid games I have no idea what's on it and I find it difficult to justify purchasing a console for two or three games

don't tell me twilight princess because I have that on 'cube already and I thought it was awful and don't tell me brawl because the chance of me playing any game online is none to non-existent

You don't need to play Brawl online. It's a great game on its own merits without going online with it.

As for what I'd recommend (outside of the usual Nintendo franchise stable):

Boom Blox (original and Bash Party)

Castlevania Judgment

ExciteTruck

ExciteBots: Trick Racing

Ferrari Challenge

Metal Slug Anthology

No More Heroes

Punch-Out!!

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

TrackMania (when it's released)

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

TMNT: Smash-Up

Zack & Wiki

Great WiiWare games too:

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People

Mega Man 9 & 10

Arkanoid Plus

Castlevania Rebirth

Gradius Rebirth

Contra Rebirth

World of Goo

Tales of Monkey Island

Star Soldier R

Tetris Party

Dr. Mario Online Rx

And of course, the greatest thing you can do with the Wii: The Homebrew Channel

de Blob, A Boy & His Blob, Endless Ocean: Blue World, Rune Factory Frontier, and Little King's Story.

Massive emphasis on the last two. They are enormously fun RPGs. The former is an addictive harvest moon spinoff and the latter is the most charming game of 2009. It was a great injustice that both games sold so poorly.

No involvement from Rare worries me. The fact that it says Activision on the box worries me even more.

Sorry but to me, Rare is a shell of it's former self, unless they come out with something ten times better than Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, then they're just Natal and Avatar fodder for Microsoft.

Activision is the one who has the rights to the Bond franchise for now, and it's being made by Eurocom and N-Space. Activision is only publishing it. Why is that such a big deal? Are people still not over that stupid Infinity Ward garbage? There's far more to that story than what anybody is willing to report on.

So what if they didn't publish Brutal Legend or those other titles, they didn't perform that well in sales (and Legend had A LOT of marketing) so that seems like smart business decisions, how Tim Schafer is still able to keep making games when each game has flopped I can't seem to understand. I love his creativity, but the games I have played haven't shown to me theyre very good games at all. That of course is a matter if opinion so I'll just leave it at that.

• 1 month later...

Wow, someone ELSE loves Little King's Story?

There's a shock!

That's one of my favorite games on the Wii, and definitely the best Wii game I played in 2009. That it sold less that 200,000 units is a crime against good gaming.

And then CiNG went bankrupt, so now we'll never get a sequel!!! ;_;

Fuck that game is good.

So, I got myself 2000 Wii Points, and I'm looking to use them.

Here's what's on my mind as front runners:

Bit Trip Runner

Wild Guns (SNES)- because this game looks AWESOME

Castlevania Rondo of Blood/Castlevania Rebirth

But some tough choices:

So, of the Ghost n' Ghouls games, which is the best?

Ghosts and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts, or Super Ghouls and Ghosts? I lean towards the last one, but you never know...

Of the Gradius games, which is preferred? Is the Rebirth any good?

My brother doesn't like Rondo of Blood, and says go for Rebirth instead. Do I listen to him?

As it stands, I'll probably have enough for a Wiiware game and an SNES game, so I'm trying to whiddle down the choices here.

With the extra 300 points or so, I guess I'll, I don't know, get the extra stages in MM10 or something. I wish I had 9 on my own Wii, but it's on my bro's, so I probably shouldn't buy it.

I thought about getting some of the other MM games, but then I'm like "they're all on VNES.com... And MMs 4, 5, and 6 aren't really that good enough to buy to play again in the first place"

Wow, someone ELSE loves Little King's Story?

There's a shock!

That's one of my favorite games on the Wii, and definitely the best Wii game I played in 2009. That it sold less that 200,000 units is a crime against good gaming.

And then CiNG went bankrupt, so now we'll never get a sequel!!! ;_;

Fuck that game is good.

So, I got myself 2000 Wii Points, and I'm looking to use them.

Here's what's on my mind as front runners:

Bit Trip Runner

Wild Guns (SNES)- because this game looks AWESOME

Castlevania Rondo of Blood/Castlevania Rebirth

But some tough choices:

So, of the Ghost n' Ghouls games, which is the best?

Ghosts and Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts, or Super Ghouls and Ghosts? I lean towards the last one, but you never know...

Of the Gradius games, which is preferred? Is the Rebirth any good?

My brother doesn't like Rondo of Blood, and says go for Rebirth instead. Do I listen to him?

As it stands, I'll probably have enough for a Wiiware game and an SNES game, so I'm trying to whiddle down the choices here.

With the extra 300 points or so, I guess I'll, I don't know, get the extra stages in MM10 or something. I wish I had 9 on my own Wii, but it's on my bro's, so I probably shouldn't buy it.

I thought about getting some of the other MM games, but then I'm like "they're all on VNES.com... And MMs 4, 5, and 6 aren't really that good enough to buy to play again in the first place"

Super Ghouls and Ghosts is the one to get if you only get one of them. They're all balls hard, but enjoyable.

Haven't played Gradius Rebirth, but the SNES version of III is pretty good (and easier than the arcade version by a few miles).

Rondo is imo the best old-style Castlevania, and it's almost an uncontested thing (the only other one that can even make a case is CV3 NES). Castlevania Rebirth is very good also though...but not as replayable as Rondo, and the music isn't anywhere near as good.

The extra stages in MM10 also unlock the GB boss weapons for Megaman, which is amazing. Def pick them up if possible.

Finally, if you like older games, the WiiWare Blaster Master: Overdrive is excellent. If you'd rather have something new, LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias is also very good.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got Bit Trip Runner, and beat it in less than a week. It was fun times, and something to go back to every now and then.

Now it's just 1000 points left (I also got Bass in MM10... Mistake, I should have gotten the extra stages instead!).

So, now I gots to make choices.

Wild Guns?

or Super Ghouls n' Ghosts?

I've played neither before, but I know they're both really good.