Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (RESUB)

H36T

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ANhsfBOceY_ZcAMzc6bSl2GDTMRHAiBk/view?usp=drivesdk

updated 10/9/22

I actually started this awhile ago but never really did anything with it. I guess recently I had some new ideas that came to fruition and I can finally post the first part for feedback. I know the second part will just be the first part but with a more aggressive vibe but I'm unsure how the whole thing will go after that. Hopefully I can do something interesting haha.

Edit: This was asked for resubmission earlier this year by the judges. After some time and thought I finally took back to it and it's almost ready. Asking for a new review before I send it back.

Edited by HarlemHeat360
Going for resubmission

The vocal bits immediately captured my attention, the airy sweeping notes make an excellent atmosphere. I love the percussion assortment of sticks and gentle strikes. And what sounds like some sorta metallic toms? Almost aquatic percussion things, I dunno what they are but it creates a lovely, rippling rhythm. The plucked strings give graceful emphasis to the chords and melody. And a great cherry on top, the distant reverberating electric guitar for some variation. Man, I can never hear too many versions of this song! I'd love to see how this continues to develop. You're doing great work.

I really love your vocal samples, where do you get them? I could sure use some human elements in my arrangements.

Thank you for the lovely comments! I'll keep working to try and make this something I can be proud of going forward.

As far as vocals are concerned I really like searching for new vocal packs and goodies. I think primarily I use Heavyocity's Vocalize 1 and 2 and 8dio's Jennie for solo female stuff. For full choirs I use 8dios studio sopranos and Strezov Sampling has a few choirs I like. I think personally I get way more bang for my buck on vocal libraries than anything. There are a few more I want but money is tight and I am not able to really demo things to determine whether it's worth a dive. But yeah Heavyocity's Vocalize series is just gorgeous. Lots of cool pads too which I always like to fiddle with!

edit:

https://www.asoundeffect.com/sound-category/instruments/vocal-instrument/

I forgot these! All of these are super duper fantastic and highly usable. I tweak the settings some, and in my head many times I think I want a certain type of vocal sound. Then if its a legato type phrase I'll mostly try and do it on my own with those patches but if I am feeling somethhing more virtuoso then I just spend some time listening to different presets they have and when one I like stands out, I program it in with timing, filters, etc. I'm a vocalist myself (though I never use my vocals on my tracks lol) so I can imagine a lot of stuff and this helps me get through the plethora of settings I think. You also thhough need some theory knowledge because sometimes I'll play a song in one key but the presets dont have that key. So try to find a nearby key or at least a phrase that can scoot in nicely in whatever given chord progression during the point in the music. Takes some getting used to and maybe not the best workflow but I like it enough!

Edited by HarlemHeat360

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tTI2jiT6mbB7F2idA63X-PxT3C6Rk3q7/view?usp=drivesdk

Think I've just reached a point where I'm currently lost. I've also heard some feedback about the transition being out of sync with the guitar which I don't hear but maybe because I'm too deep in my mind is playing what I want to hear as opposed to what is being heard. I also haven't done the proper EQ (which I'm bad at anyway) and balancing yet so maybe that would help.

Regardless, I'm not really sure where to go from here. Maybe I need to take some time away from it or something. I kinda have this slow part in my head as a brief pause before kicking the harmony back in but I can't bring what's in my head to the actual program. I'm also having problems making the harmony pop more without just doubling parts :/. *Sigh* this won't be easy haha.

I don't think I hear the sync issue either. Taking time away from a project can be beneficial, so don't be afraid to try that. Listening to the progression of the song, I believe another slow part may be a nice effect after the last movement, like you're thinking. I'm certain you'll find the groove you're after!

• 4 weeks later...

Edit: I actually updated it one more time after making this original post and this is where I'm at. I think the ending is not near done but it will end something similar to this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GeTufQtNo1s4SEQyMn5xSxA7o0ggEEYU/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by HarlemHeat360
New update

EVAL

Well lookie here, a Corridors of Time arrangement. Can't ever go wrong with that source! I really like the instruments in this, particularly the vox lead that you have throughout the track. There's a lot of personalization that went into making that lead sing, and the work shows beautifully.

The production values are alright, though you've got to be careful about that clipping that happens at moments like 1:27 & 2:22; there's too much going on in the same frequency bands and the overall production quality suffers for it. This ties into the next point: lighten the reverb on this track, as it creates an overall muddy atmosphere that makes the midrange EQ overwhelming and difficult to hear everything that's going on. I understand that this is a dreamy arrangement, but the reverb is cutting into your mixing space quite a lot. Cleaning that up will likely clean up any clipping in the production, too.

I really think the instruments are great, and the arrangement itself has something good going for it, but it does sound static from end-to-end. In this case the culprit is easy to spot: that vibraphone doesn't stop for the entire piece, and it gets pretty tiring to listen to toward the middle. Don't be afraid to cut it from the arrangement from time to time, particularly at important section changes (such as at 1:30, for example) - we all know the infamous Corridors of Time ostinato by this time, so little is missed by removing it from time to time. Also, the more contrast between sections you have the easier it is for the listener to follow the flow of the arrangement, and the less tiring a piece of music will be on the listeners' ears from any instrument or part outstaying it's welcome.

When these changes are all put into place, some mastering on the EQ (carving the mids, raising the high EQ for shimmer) would do this a lot of good, but that's not really a requirement - just a suggestion to take a piece from good to great.

Rich instrumentation and cool atmosphere, and I really enjoyed it, but I think there are some steps one could take to clean this up before sending it to the mailbox. Best of luck on this, and I hope to hear an improved version on the panel sometime.

13 hours ago, Gario said:

EVAL

Well lookie here, a Corridors of Time arrangement. Can't ever go wrong with that source! I really like the instruments in this, particularly the vox lead that you have throughout the track. There's a lot of personalization that went into making that lead sing, and the work shows beautifully.

The production values are alright, though you've got to be careful about that clipping that happens at moments like 1:27 & 2:22; there's too much going on in the same frequency bands and the overall production quality suffers for it. This ties into the next point: lighten the reverb on this track, as it creates an overall muddy atmosphere that makes the midrange EQ overwhelming and difficult to hear everything that's going on. I understand that this is a dreamy arrangement, but the reverb is cutting into your mixing space quite a lot. Cleaning that up will likely clean up any clipping in the production, too.

I really think the instruments are great, and the arrangement itself has something good going for it, but it does sound static from end-to-end. In this case the culprit is easy to spot: that vibraphone doesn't stop for the entire piece, and it gets pretty tiring to listen to toward the middle. Don't be afraid to cut it from the arrangement from time to time, particularly at important section changes (such as at 1:30, for example) - we all know the infamous Corridors of Time ostinato by this time, so little is missed by removing it from time to time. Also, the more contrast between sections you have the easier it is for the listener to follow the flow of the arrangement, and the less tiring a piece of music will be on the listeners' ears from any instrument or part outstaying it's welcome.

When these changes are all put into place, some mastering on the EQ (carving the mids, raising the high EQ for shimmer) would do this a lot of good, but that's not really a requirement - just a suggestion to take a piece from good to great.

Rich instrumentation and cool atmosphere, and I really enjoyed it, but I think there are some steps one could take to clean this up before sending it to the mailbox. Best of luck on this, and I hope to hear an improved version on the panel sometime.

T_____T noooo I don't wanna go back to the pro tools session. Not the EQ! Anything but that!

Haha, jk, I appreciate all of the perspectives and advice you have given. It's always interesting seeing these evaluations and hearing things that passed my mind but either I had no idea how to do or I chose not to do for some reason. For the former, I just don't have a good handle on how to unmuddy some things and prevent certain types of clipping. I thought the problem was the highs but I'm guessing the mids are the ones being overloaded? Concerning the latter, I actually wondered if I should bring in a bass guitar midway through but I felt that the Corridors "motif" was needed more so I can still say I'm staying faithful to the original so I decided to leave it out and emphasize the vibraphone more.

However, I also find it really helpful when you guys say things that never even passed my mind. Like how taking away the vibraphone to relax the ears from the motif that everyone knows and provide some more personalization. Maybe I'll check out the track with the bass guitar that I deactivated. I have some midi rhythms I keep around so maybe I'll search through for some ideas of what may sound good with the bass.

Thanks for the help! While it feels kinda sad that I need to go back into the lab a lot more, I'm happy I came with a full product so that you could give me quality advice. Thanks again.

Well, lightening up on the reverb (decreasing it's tail/length of time it rings out) will likely solve both the muddy issue and the clipping, so at least that's not a difficult item to resolve. Concerning the EQ question, believe it or not a real rough-and-dirty way to check that is to look at the "Bars" visualization in Windows Media Player; while it's not quite as informative as a spectrum analyzer it's certainly easier to read and make decisions on the fly with.

Glad I could help, and good luck with the arrangement. :)

Well, it went through the uhh process I suppose! The beginning isn't different at all sans the EQ done to the whole track. Mostly was done with automation to target some of that midrange and boost the highs a bit. Still an amateur though so I'm unsure if I got where it needed to be or even went overboard. The middle part is much different I'd say. I had a hard time trying to find out something to replace the vibraphone (honestly, I'd still be find with it just being its own kinda pedal tone and always there) but I think this has its own unique flavor as well! The drums come in a bit more to help assist with the new feel and a guitar helps out where the vibraphone used to be. The vibraphone comes back at the end though. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is the cymbals are too loud right now (edit: that should be fixed). They could go down a few steps or so in velocity. Besides that, sometimes I think the song is too busy but I've always had that issue as a composer personally. The ending section is supposed to be a cacophony of sound though so I think maybe it suits it well. Anywho, those are my thoughts and maybe this will be the final version besides a few things to clean up. I'd still appreciate another review and/or other thoughts right before I submit it though! Thanks much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_VsUAV2W8v3XAUaYAEMkxf9wh_sb_hTi/view?usp=sharing

edit: needed to fix a few things here and there that were obviously weird.

Edited by HarlemHeat360

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a time when we reach the end of our journey with a song and I believe I have here. I did want another evaluation but I ended up just kind of going with my gut, putting on the finishing touches, and calling it finished. I'll be submitting this version and whatever may be, may be haha. But I'm happy with how it came out and am ready for my next project. 

• H36T changed the title to Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time (RESUB)

Hello, back again after going through the submission process and having it sent back fro resubmission. A lot has changed based on judge feedback. The percussion is reworked, the clipping issues have all been solved, some rebalancing done, and a new bassline. Other new additions have also been made, primarily a new vox in the middle and choir at the end. I'm on the fence about some things but I think I need a new voice (or two) for perspective! Thanks for helping as always.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ANhsfBOceY_ZcAMzc6bSl2GDTMRHAiBk/view?usp=drivesdk

Evaluation:

This is a fantastic arrangement, your additions and variations on the original theme are lovely.  Also the soundscape is fantastic.
I went back and found the judges decision so I could get an idea of what was going on.  As I have no context and have not heard that version I will do my best to give feedback on a standalone basis.

The drums are mechanical at times as was noted by the judges previously, but not a deal breaker.

I personally did not really see lacking low end except for the kick drum.  Could use a boost in the low end with EQ or use a different kick sample.  I would recommend a general boost on the kick and bass somewhere around the 55-85Hz range to beef this up and fill the spectrum up.  How much to boost and how much Q and what frequency i'll leave up to you.  It does not take away from the ambient nature of the track to do this, it adds a fullness that strengthens the parts that are above it.  After all, a house cannot stand without a strong foundation!

When the guitar returns at 3:09 felt loud and sudden.

This is REALLY CLOSE and those are two minor nitpicks that should be able to be fixed easily, once you do that I think you're ready to resub.  For now i'm going to return it to wip on those two easy fixes (guitar return and bass boost)

Edited by Hemophiliac

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!