OCR04510 - *YES* Mega Man X4 & X5 "Release the Kraken"

Emunator

Hi guys & gals! I'm back from my 6 year hiatus with a 6 year old remix! I actually hope to find some time this year (2022) to begin working on new music again in earnest because I do miss it. I've slowly been picking up some new equipment and VSTs the past couple of years thinking it would help motivate me to return, so now I just need to find the time :)

Anyhow, this track comes courtesy of the 2015 Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet and represents the last completed song I actually made way back when. timaeus222 had been planning an album release of selected compo tracks in 2016, of which this song was to be included, but I'm not sure whatever happened to the album. Regardless, timaeus222 had jumped on board and collabed with me to help flesh out this track from the original compo version and really brought it to life. He primarily added the piano solo from 2:30 - 2:50, but also added countless other backing parts and flourishes throughout the chorus sections. I stumbled across it just the other day and forgot how much I enjoyed it and thought it would be nice to sub for others to hear after all these years. Hope you all like it too!

Contact Info:
  • ReMixer Names: SuperiorX, timaeus222
  • Forum ID: 20342
Submission Info:
  • Games arranged: Mega Man X4, Mega Man X5
  • ReMix Name: Release the Kraken
  • Songs arranged: Volt Kraken (X5), Final Weapon 2 (X4)

Here is a source breakdown for those interested:
  • 0:00 - 0:30 = original stuff
  • 0:31 - 0:46 = Volt Kraken bass, Final Weapon piano B melody
  • 0:47 - 1:01 = Volt Kraken bass, Final Weapon synth B melody
  • 1:02 - 1:16 = Volt Kraken bass line on the backing synth
  • 1:17 - 1:32 = Final Weapon C melody (leads & pads)
  • 1:33 - 2:03 = Volt Kraken synth B melody, Final Weapon piano C accompaniment
  • 2:04 - 2:18 = original stuff
  • 2:19 - 2:33 = Volt Kraken bass line on the backing synth
  • 2:34 - 2:50 = Volt Kraken bass
  • 2:51 - 3:04 = Volt Kraken bass, Final Weapon synth solo B melody
  • 3:06 - 3:21 = Final Weapon C melody (leads & pads)
  • 3:22 - 3:40 = Final Weapon piano C accompaniment

• 1 month later...

Well, this is neat.  It opens up with an eclectic mix of synths, then drops in a piano and some classic EDM bass.  Nice mix of traditional and unique sounds throughout, always with clean, crisp production.

It's a solid blend of the two sources, too.  Great work for this kind of compo; you'd never know this was a mashup if you didn't know the source tunes.

I can't think of anything to complain about.  Just a good job all around.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/03/05 - (1Y) Mega Man X4 & X5 "Release the Kraken"
  • 3 months later...

haha, super weird opening. not bad, just immediately made me smile because it's weird. the big beat and swirly keys right away were a fun sound. drums are probably a bit loud over the piano lead, but it's a fun beat and i love the bass blats. there's some more rhythmic synths added at about 1:00 and then it opens up more at 1:15 to a more traditional electro/rock feel. i agree with MW that you'd never guess this is a mashup.

there's a piano break at 1:42ish, with some fun panned verby synths and a recap of the super scooper lead from the beginning, and we're back to a bigger beat at 2:19 or so. this felt similar to the opening, but there's some new stuff added in around 2:35 that mix it up, especially in the keys. 3:06 opens up again and i really dig the descending countermelodic synth work there. there's a swell to a keys-driven outro, and it ends comfortably.

this is a fun track. it sounds good, does a great job with a preponderance of source, and doesn't overstay its welcome. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/03/05 - (2Y) Mega Man X4 & X5 "Release the Kraken"
  • 1 month later...

Superb stuff right here. Drums sound punchy and clean, but have a tight groove to them with those lovely crisp hi-hats.

Strange choice to open with that G-funk style lead synth noodling, which was about the only thing I wasn't sold on in the whole piece. Love the synth at 1:03, and the tremolo flourish at 1:11. Loads of ear candy like that is sprinkled throughout, just to give you a tickle. Piano sounds a bit on the thin side, but it's a cool idea to get a solo in there and there's a nice handoff to the synth for the big chorus finish. When the chorus all comes together (1:18, 3:06), it's got such a great flow, I kinda wish that part lasted a bit longer. Ah well, there's always the replay button.

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/03/05 - (3Y) Mega Man X4 & X5 "Release the Kraken"

Very unusual intro!  Not my favorite part of the track (although with repeated listens it is growing on me), but it quickly transitions into some smooth, funky beats that marry the two themes completely seamlessly.  Lots of detail in the mix, and the production is good.  I like the piano solo quite a bit, wish there was more of it!  The arrangement is terrific.  I think this mix is great except for one problem.  The master is hitting +5db peak.  I don't hear compression artifacts, but I think it's a good idea to revisit the mastering and make sure there is a reasonable ceiling set so there are no issues when uploading the track to YouTube.

YES (conditional on setting proper final limiter ceiling)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/03/05 - (3Y/1C) Mega Man X5 & X4 "Release the Kraken"
  • Chimpazilla pinned this topic

Definitely a boomy sound, duly noted. Haha, I like how the Volt Kraken bassline reminds me of Double Dragon II's "Mission 2" music.

Not a fan of this piano at :30, no sir. Very thin and mechanical sound, but it thankfully only lasted a few seconds. Wack claps too from 1:33-2:03, booooooooooooo. Never a fan of parts that present a quality disparity.

Track got way beefier with the beats after that though. The levels are too bright, but not gonna hold it back for that. Arrangement is strong with nice tradeoffs and interplay between the themes, and the production's loud but reasonable, so get outta here.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/03/05 - *YES* Mega Man X4 & X5 "Release the Kraken"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04510 - *YES* Mega Man X4 & X5 "Release the Kraken"
  • Liontamer locked and unpinned this topic