OCR04555 - *YES* Marble Madness (AMIGA) "Vivid Orbs"

Emunator

Hi.

Here’s a new remix I did recently. It’s from one of my all time favourites games »Marble Madness«. Back in 1986 I first played it in an arcade game park in france during a holiday with my family. The arcade-version was pretty hard though, so I got no further than the third level. With the amiga-version I could play it to the end. There are only six levels but it’s a lot of fun. Sadly the successor »Marble Madness 2« was never released. :o(

I started the remix with a stomping beat and the widely known »Beginner Race«-theme. But after some time I integrated the »Practice Race«-music and it evolved to a kind of chorus. And the positive vibes of this theme took the helm and made the whole remix really energetic.

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Gaspode

Your real name: Peter Köller

Your email address: 

Your website: –

Your userid: 26608

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged:

»Marble Madness«

Name of arrangement:

Vivid Orbs

Name of individual song(s) arranged:

»Practice Race« & »Beginner Race« from »Marble Madness«

Additional information:

Marble Madness, Arcade/NES/Amiga etc., Music by Brad Fuller & Hal Canon

Links to the original soundtracks:

Practice Rave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Ua2nC8afY

Beginner Race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRmY7fsGdM

Bye, Peter

Cohesive combination of the themes. I’ve heard it with so many arrangements in the community, but when the sound is so lush, you almost think “Dayum, this is almost too good for such a simple composition”, but that underscores how catchy VGM can be and how much it deserves the glow-up.

Loved the rhythmic change at 1:16 the most, which provided a nice feeling of movement here. Peter’s stuff is rubber stamp good to me. :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/07 - (1Y) Marble Madness "Vivid Orbs"
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this a Summoning Salt speedrun video song? It sounds a whole lot like HOME, with these delicious old school synths. The kick and snare give this it's own flavor, but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like someone should be talking about the Marble Madness speed running community with this playing in the background.

*ahem*

The overall soundscape is gorgeous, and the arrangement does a fantastic job blending the two sources, really brightening up the "Level 2" music with the "Level 1" harmonies. The melody is at risk of being drown in this soundscape, but I'll be honest: with a soundscape this full of pads it really doesn't bother me, the melody is pretty much texture in this style anyway. Great arrangement, had nothing but a good time with this one. Hopefully others will, too.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2023/05/07 - (2Y) Marble Madness "Vivid Orbs"

I loved Marble Madness on the Amiga as a kid. It was one of my favourite games, although the closest I got to completing it was bouncing off the goalpost on the Ultimate stage, and falling off the course with 2 seconds to spare. Gutted.

This remix is a magnificent homage to the music of the first 2 levels, beginning with tranquility, then moving into more intense territory as those black balls try and bounce you off the track, before soaring synth pads welcome you across the finish line.

It'd be right at home in one of those synthwave compilations that are all over YouTube. Indeed, the whole thing is fantastic, but my favourite part is the transition between themes beginning at 2:44 and ending at 3:03. Absolutely beautiful way to blend two sources together in a euphoric finale.

No complaints here!

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2023/05/07 - (3Y) Marble Madness "Vivid Orbs"

Intro is nice, retro synthwave, but without sounding dated.  That filtered drop at 0:38 gives me chills, I love it!  The theme then filters in and by 0:57 the soundscape is gloriously full and lush.  I love the tape stop at 1:15 and the syncopation starting at 1:17.  I find this to be a full and fantastic arrangement of the two sources.  Some additional drum fills or variations would have been nice, and the mixing and mastering could be even brighter, fuller and more 3D in my opinion, but what is here is working well enough.  This is an interesting and varied arrangement, even with keeping the soundscape mostly the same all throughout the track.  

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04555 - *YES* Marble Madness (AMIGA) "Vivid Orbs"
  • Liontamer locked this topic