*NO* Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"

Emunator

• Your ReMixer name: Parker Walker
  • (I hope that my previous remixes' remixer name can be changed from SPIRAL_SYSTEM to Parker Walker, if not, then use SPIRAL_SYSTEM. Thanks!)
  • Your real name Parker Walker
  • Your email address 
  • Your website(s)  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW1jycmYfDZYXPnL6W9DEtQ
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: SPIRAL_SYSTEM
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Can't stop me!
  • Go Straight
  • For this mix, I took a more conservative approach, because all the elements of the original are very "90s". Hence, I kept the 90s feel, yet didn't go for a total FM sound like my other SOR2 remix because I think that, honestly, Yuzo did it the best on this one and I can't surpass him. Instead, I went for 90s house feel using 90s production techniques, arrangements and sounds. I even used the legendary JD-990 synthesizer (produced at the time) and samples from the TR 909 to give extra authenticity and 90s feel. All the bass sounds are from Chip MD, a Sega FM emulator. All in all, it's a re-imagining of what the song would have been using state of the art production techniques at the time, and a quite conservative homage on this classic v-game track. I hope the fans enjoy!
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Cool! Some of the initial original writing was too noodly, but no big deal. Good variations of the sounds and textures to provide the distinction compared to the source. Clean sound, with fun use of the sample club vocals and in-game voices as well. Was initially worried it might not feel interpretive enough, but I’ve also heard enough of your work now to feel confident that it wasn’t going to be a problem, so I’m glad that was the case. I enjoyed!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/16 - (1Y) Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"
  • 4 weeks later...

Where's the beef? :( This is a killer arrangement sorely lacking in low-end presence. I can hear it with my ears alone, but the dip around the 80-100hz range is incredibly obvious when viewed through SPAN. There's definitely some sub beneath it, but the bass and kick are just not filling out that space like it ought to. Around the 1:55 mark, it fills out a little more, but even then, the balance seems distinctly skewed towards the high frequencies.

image.thumb.png.deb29b09fbf2d8c439c58ed9e67b56cc.png

Aside from that, this is a solid retro club throwback that I would be happy to sign off on otherwise, but the notable lack of bass in the mix is really keeping this from getting going for me.

NO (resubmit!)

Edited by Emunator

• Emunator changed the title to 2023/05/16 - (1Y/1N) Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"
  • 2 weeks later...

intro is great, love the filter sweep. as soon as the band sound hits at 0:15, though, it's clear what emu was saying. it sounds like a notch filter has wiped that entire freq range from the remix. that needs to be fixed. it doesn't sound like there's anything in the low mid range.

the arrangement is fun! there's a lot of variety taken in the approach, i particularly liked the keys at 1:08. the bass issue is again super obvious at 1:52 - there's just no presence in the low mids at all below all the sparkly percussion.

when everything's going, it sounds pretty good outside the notch emu described. fix that and this is good to go.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/05/16 - (1Y/2N) Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"

Lots of good stuff has been said about the arrangement so far, and I agree with all of it.

On the matter of bass, it feels a little light to me, but the bass synth and kick have enough low end to me that I don't feel like anything's egregiously missing. I didn't notice there was an issue at all until my fellow judges pointed it out, and I don't think it's enough reason to send this back by any means.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/05/16 - (2Y/2N) Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

WHERE.  IS.  THE.  BASS.  Seriously what happened here.  Sounds to me like this was produced in a room with bass interference issues, or with a room-correcting software not turned off prior to render.  There is a comical lack of lows in this mix.  The bass sounds great and there's a nice beefy kick there too, but they are cowering in the corner instead of being loud and proud.

Other than that, I find this remix great.  I love the synths and instruments used, the vocals added, the noodling around on the lead.  Super fun arrangement.  Ending is a bit abrupt but it works. 

Easy pass for me but the mixing has to be addressed to bump the low end.  A multiband compressor to bump 125Hz and below on the bass and on the master (gently on both so not to overdo it) to bring out the entire low end should do the job nicely.

NO (fix low end and resubmit please)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/05/16 - (2Y/3N - DarkeSword / DarkSim / Gario / Rexy / XPRTNovice) Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"
  • 2 weeks later...

You've absolutely nailed the 90s house sound, congrats on that! Those synths sound awesome, and the piano break with the soft bass is just perfect. Love it when the the lead comes back in for some soloing at 1:38 as well. You've definitely succeeded in your goal of updating the sound of the original, but in keeping with the time period.

Couple of things, though! The lack of low end has already been mentioned, so that's an obvious fix, but I think the vocal samples need some attention too. You can barely hear the titular line 'Can't stop me!', as the sample is buried in the mix. The other effects are mixed differently as well, so they don't sound coherent. Mixing vocals well can be difficult, but I think if you're going to use vocal samples in this way, you should make them stand out more clearly.

Hope to hear this one back again soon, it's a banger! Streets of Rage fans will really dig it.

NO (resubmit)

• DarkSim changed the title to 2023/05/16 - (2Y/4N - DarkeSword / Gario / Rexy / XPRTNovice) Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"
  • 2 months later...

Oh man, I had really high hopes for the intro, and then the beat dropped at :15 and suddenly 50% of the entire sound spectrum is gone. We're missing massive parts of the freq spec here, which make the entire mix sound thin and tinny.

Arrangement wise, this is spot on and I really like the feel that you're going for. Enough of a hat tip to the original, but enough of your own interpretation too. 

The piano at 1:10 is a bit harsh, but again it's hard to judge individual instruments when we have nothing to hold them against on the bottom end. That may resolve itself once you fill in the rest of the freqs. Same with the saw lead at 1:45 - it's harsh, but with a proper backing, it might not be. It's hard to make that judgment. 

Really enjoy the nod to the pan-demonium (see what I did there) throughout the track, with everything kind of bouncing all over the place. I might call it out as a bad thing if I didn't hear it so much in the original, which makes it endearing. 

This could really could be something fun so I encourage you to work more on filling it out! 

NO (resubmit)

• XPRTNovice changed the title to 2023/05/16 - (2Y/5N - DarkeSword / Gario / Rexy ) Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Streets of Rage 2 "Can't Stop Me!"