OCR04633 - *YES* Revenge of Shinobi "The Lonely Lover"

DarkeSword

big synthy opening before the guitar came in. drums are both loud and very arena. 0:40 is the B melodic content, complete with significant scoops and MASSIVE 80's SNARES. the full drumbeat comes in at 1:12 and i do feel it's a little loud there, and i also don't hear much in the way of bass content outside the kick. the backing synths sound great though, what i can hear of them.

2:32 is a bit of a break right on cue, more in energy and in the backing parts than elsewhere. 3:20 feels like the start of the end with the recap there, but there's still quite a bit of music left. 4:08's arp coming back in is nicely reminiscent of the opening and the original. the song noodles through some soloing (and some bongos?) for another 30s and then fades out.

this is a slam dunk, as expected. the style is perfect for the original and it's well-handled. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/11/15 - (1Y) Revenge of Shinobi "The Lonely Loner"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/15 - (2Y) Revenge of Shinobi "The Lonely Lover"

Never heard Gary Moore's "The Loner" at all before, but I totally see how the backing synth chords have that VGM vibe. The whole track sounds like something that could have come out of a 90s Japanese arrangement album inspired by the 80s, and I'm on board. :-D

Hearing lots of light popping sounds all over this WAV, so I'm not sure if something got messed up in what we hosted or if Will's render was jacked up. Hopefully this can be fixed, because it's pervasive enough where I'm going to call this a conditional YES.

Nice mileage out of this source! Arrangement-wise, it sounds awesome, and I hear the Gary Moore influence across the track. The guitar wails, I dig it. Classy extended fadeout as well. Would have loved to have heard a quick cameo of vocals like in "The Loner" to get the full effect; don't leave 'em hangin' like that!

EDIT (1/24/24): Will says the pops are intentional, like a vinyl effect. There's no inherent problem with adding in crackling/popping SFX to create a more lo-fi aesthetic (see the intro of https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01312 which is 100x more overt). IMO, it just wasn't done properly here. They don't sound like any vinyl effect I've ever heard and don't sound good, they just sound like a big rendering error; potentially not noticeable on speakers/monitors, but hurting this on headphones. I'm a NO (resubmit) then, and if this passes as is, that's cool.

EDIT (1/26/24): Wack crackles eliminated makes Larry a happy man. YES

Edited by Liontamer
changed from NO (resubmit) to YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/15 - Revenge of Shinobi "The Lonely Lover"

I was able to hear the crackling on headphones, and while I am a YES vote even with the crackling, I have to agree it was distracting.  I couldn't hear it on my speakers, but for sure on headphones, so I agree with Larry that it wasn't ideal.  So, I asked Will if he'd be willing to change it, and he did.  Will made some changes to his vinylizer plugin, and altered something in the final chorus so it would sound less shrill.  He also wanted me to note the fact that Larry smells.

I may as well let this be my vote, the track sounds awesome to me, so

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04633 - *YES* Revenge of Shinobi "The Lonely Lover"
  • Liontamer locked this topic