Case studies required for MA paper: looking for contributors who feel OCR has played an important role in their musical development

Hi,
I'm currently working on a ludomusicology paper for my MA, which is looking at the reasons that gamers remix and perform video game music.
I would like to address the mentorship aspect of participatory culture by looking at cases in which the feedback offered through OCR may have played a role in helping very contributors with very little musical experience develop to the point that they are achieving "YES"s, or even going on to work on professional projects.
If anyone feels they fit that category and feel OCR has been central to your musical development and would be up for sharing their story as a case study for including in the paper, I'd be very grateful if they could let me know so we could talk further.
Many thanks,
Josh

Hi Josh! I had a lot of music experience but zero production experience before I joined the remix/arrangement communities. Over the past two years or so since I started contributing, I've gone from not having anywhere near the skill in production to get a YES on OCR to having several remixes posted. The collaborative, participative culture with OCR, Pixel Mixers, and Dwelling of Duels has helped me develop my production skill in a way that I didn't even realize was possible at the time I joined. Feel free to contact me on discord or twitter if you'd like to talk more.

Fantastic, thank you both!

Another member who responded privately also wanted to verify identity to ensure legitimacy of study so I'll just mention here that if need be I can supply university ID. I also have a submission on OCR from 2004, and have writing credits on my website so you can see this is my field of interest.

My website is joshwiniberg.co.uk and email is contact@ that same domain so people can get in touch directly if they'd like to participate.

I can conduct interviews either by video chat or email, whichever you're more comfortable with.

Thanks for offering your time to tell your story!

19 hours ago, SheaButter said:

Hi Josh! I had a lot of music experience but zero production experience before I joined the remix/arrangement communities. Over the past two years or so since I started contributing, I've gone from not having anywhere near the skill in production to get a YES on OCR to having several remixes posted. The collaborative, participative culture with OCR, Pixel Mixers, and Dwelling of Duels has helped me develop my production skill in a way that I didn't even realize was possible at the time I joined. Feel free to contact me on discord or twitter if you'd like to talk more.

18 hours ago, colorado weeks said:

hi josh! just sent you an email!

19 hours ago, Emunator said:

Hey Josh, I’d love to chat! I’ll send you a DM with my contact info. 

Thanks all, I've replied directly, and looking forward to chatting with you all about your experiences!

Hello!

I did have a lot of non-digital music experience, mainly playing piano and singing in choirs, but surprisingly I didn't have a great ear when it came to writing or listening to music, and I was a complete newbie in mixing/mastering. OCR definitely contributed a ton to developing that in only 2 years. You can find me in discord or twitter anytime!

@JoshWiniberg

Edited by timaeus222

• 3 weeks later...