Free and legal music downloads for college students?

Black Mage

Looks good at first, right?

Read closer...

Ruckus uses Microsoft’s Windows media technology, so songs can be played only on a user’s personal computer. For $4.99 a month, users can buy the right to transfer the songs to portable devices compatible with the Microsoft format, including those made by SanDisk and Creative.

But the music will not play on Microsoft’s Zune player or, more important, on the Apple iPod.

So first I have to download their program, then it already comes heavily laden with more of the same DRM crap we've seen a million times.

I wonder if one could re-encode the files?

I've been using Ruckus for about a year and a half now, and like Hitman said, you can use recording software to get around it (I use Tunebite). Its not really a horrible service, saves one from scouring the seedy joints of the net for illegal music, or from paying for it from itunes. I've found that I mostly just listen to my Ruckus music when I'm at my computer, since my ipod's fm transmitter broke. So all in all, I like Ruckus, though the recording of songs so that I could put them on my ipod was a bit of a hassle.

Perhaps, but I've just grown weary of such services that sound too good to be true.

Well, if they aren't even offering mp3 player transfer, it sounds like they aren't competing in the same market as iTunes. Especially since it is free and ad based. Does iTunes offer anything like this before you pay for the download? Try before you buy, as it were? I don't even own a Mp3 player (too expensive and I can always buy a pack of CD-RW's) so I'm pretty ignorant about iTunes.