Shadow of the Colossus Rock Remix

Cerrax

I was working on this one for a while but couldn't really find a direction to take it in, until last night. It was originally a techno piece, but after some time with GH2, I found it to be a better rock song than anything.

http://www.cerrax.com/Shadow%20of%20the%20Colossus%20Wanderer%20On%20The%20Offensive%20OC%20ReMix.mp3

Well as always, enjoy and comments are always welcome!

Wow. I'm a big fan of this already, and I only played this game like twice. Ever. I don't know if its what you're looking for or not, but it seems pretty obvious that the guitars aren't real. Also, the cymbal crash is really tinny. Once again, both of those could be just how you want it, but they both stuck out to me personally. I like this a lot, and I hope you keep working on it!

Again, like everyone has said so far, this is awesome. The only thing I think it's missing is a live guitar. Unfortunately, I am not a guitar player, otherwise I'd love to help. I do play bass though, so if you want I could try and help you there, although I'm not sure how well I can record on this computer. I'd give it a shot though.

Yup, as above, this arrangement is smokin'. Excellent energy, nice flow. It rocks, sir.

Those fake guitars are painfully fake, though. The rhythm parts especially make me cringe. If you don't find someone to record the guitar parts for you, spend a LOT of time humanizing them as much as you can. This arrangement deserves it. :P You may not be able to emulate a real performance convincingly, but you can do a lot to take the awkward edge off. I'm thinking of recent tracks I've heard by folks like Miszou, zircon etc. who use guitar samples and/or synth guitars, and pull it off very well. Do it! This is too good not to lavish with care. :D

This song IS rockin! I'm actually playing this game for the first time now too, so this song certainly piqued my interest.

One thing I think that might help with the humanization aspect is to have a bit of a release on the guitars. Having them immediately end I think is the biggest part about them sounding fake. If you can, have a release (not sustain, right?) that will still play the note, like, 1/10th of a second after the note's released. Having it fade out, even that quickly, will add to the quality of it. (if not, well, I learned something new. ;) )

This can probably go unsaid, but humanize the percussions a tiny bit too. *shrugs*.

(PS zomg game is beautiful, even for PS2 system)

I'll spare you comments regarding the leads, since you pretty much get the idea.

I'm really diggin' the arrangement here. The melody feels considerably more simplistic than the original (in a good way, mind you), and the intro, with a little imagination, gives off a distinct retro-gaming feeling, almost as if the melody belonged to an early 90's title or something.

hmm....

when did this song played in the game anyway??? I've been arranging Shadow of the Colossus Songs for piano and still don't know nothing about them...

is this The Opened Way???

I still have some midis of SotC Songs....

Its a mix of The Opened Way and Counterattack intertwined with each other.

Yeah, Cerrax, recording the leads today. Should be done tonight. That acoustic guitar part might sound pretty kick ass with a viola. I was going to try and fiddle around with it using Garritan's Stradivari, but a live recording would be way better.

Brian, I used a Gibson Angus Young SG into a Mesa Dual Rectifier head into a THD Hotplate and a Mesa 4x12 cab. Mic'd it up in an isolation box with a Shure SM57 through a Universal Audio 610 tube preamp (borrowed from the studio, but it's so hot, I'm gonna get onefor myself) and into a Presonus Firebox.

Bass is alot easier to record. Just plug in direct and use a nice bass amp simulator plugin, like Guitar Rig 2 or AmpegSVX. And I'm sure there are lots of nice plugins floating around somewhere on the web.

I just want to say thank you so much to everyone who is involved in this. yodaisbetter, B33J, and especially Sixto. This mix is going to be super sexy. Now for some comments:

Sixto: Amazing. great playing. I love the improv. I love the whole thing, but all the guiatrs seem to get mushed together because they all sound so similar. This was also noted with my original mix when it went through RTS judging. I'dlike to see if we can separate the guitars more.

P.S.- do want me to mix it or you? Your drums sound a lot better than mine, if we can just vary them a little and then balance everything out, I think it would be better and easier to just use what you have.

B33J: If you can get a way to record your bass, I strongly urge you to do so. I would love to have a real bass for this song. It will add more flair to the piece and really make it stand out when its just a simple rhythm section.

yodaisbetter: I need to work with you to give you an idea how your part will fit with the rest of the song (plus we need to record it).

Again I'm so thankful that I have people helping me with this song. I really want this to be a proud accomplishment for all of us.

Sixto...that lead guitar is AWESOME.

Cerrax- if you wanted to do something with chords in the background i also have a violin and might have access to a cello tomorrow if I can get in contact with one of my teachers down at Duq. I might also be able to get a bass, although I'm not too good on upright bass. I should be free sometime after 4 tomorrow(friday).

This thing is going to ROCK.

Edit: I can't get a cello or a bass, they're all being repaired right now.

Sooo.... I've fallen quite a bit behind this week. We've still got a bit to do.

yodaisbetter: I've written a new viola part, and I'll send it to you. We need to record this soon!

Sixto: still need to know if you are interested in mixing this or not. If not, I need all of the guitar tracks and possibly the drum tracks for mixing.

B33J: Are you still thinking about recording your bass part? Pleaselet me, as the recording phase is starting to wrap up.

It's going to be another week or two before I can get my recording equipment. If you can wait that long, great! But even then, I don't know if what I'll get will record well enough.

If you want to do the bass, go for it! :nicework:

I really don't want to hold anybody up. I'll try and catch the next project that goes by.

I'm still going to practice the song though. It's fun..