Tryanno Lair WIP

HoboKa

Taking a listen...

Choir patch at the beginning sounds fakey and exposed. It's moving rigidly between notes, which isn't helping. This sample isn't the greatest, but it might be salvageable with some better processing. Try lowering the volume and adding some slow decay reverb to push it back further in the mix. Also, consider rewriting the part so it doesn't jump notes so much.

The low string at the beginning has similar issues, but not quite as bad. It's awkwardly jumping between notes. Similar solution to above may help.

Moving towards the end of the intro. The strings are still sounding pretty dry and low-heavy.

Instead of fading out the whole track a couple times, try to come up with some transitions. If you can get creative in your transition between the orchestral/choral and the beat-driven section, it would really help this piece.

I'm not the best person for feedback on the trance-type section, but I'll try to give a little. The lower end on the strings/pad seems a bit loud, but not constantly - it's coming in and out.

Another couple sections where the beat drops and it goes to strings briefly. The transitions here also need some work as well. Kick suddenly gets louder on random beats several times after the halfway point - it could be due to a mistake in sequencing or that it's conflicting with other parts and is coming through louder when the other parts drop out.

Good work so far, though I think it would be helpful if you can get more feedback from someone more experienced in trance.

• 3 weeks later...

The strings at the beginning have an annoyingly mushy attack; you are using the wrong sample for the job. The cello is decent, but the string ensemble is no good for this part. Get something with a stronger attack.

Drums sound very default and wimpy. It sounds like you want them to drive the track but they don't have the punch of volume they need. Add a stronger gate to the bass drum, and bring up the volume. The part writing is also pretty boring and could use a lot more hi-end stuff; mix up the hats and stuff a little. The straight ahead beat can work with excellent production, but in this case a more interesting beat would help a lot.

Synths are also really default sounding, and two dimensional. They need to be widened quite a bit. double some parts and work with panning to thicken the sound.

There are weird timing issues throughout with the beat skipping as well, really distracting.

Vocal sample at the end is good and the effects used are cool, but it should be at the climax of the song, not at the end where it is winding down.

Keep working on this, guys. :-)

Synths are also really default sounding, and two dimensional. They need to be widened quite a bit. double some parts and work with panning to thicken the sound.

Hm okay the rest of the tips make sense, but I don't know how to widen a synth. I'm still new to this stuff and I'm providing all the samples =S LagunaCloud is doing the melody and note progression mostly. (I'm the one who made the weak drums though)

Additonaly, I can tell you that I'm using Sytrus and Toxic III mainly for my synths, I don't how to make my own samples unfortunately.

Drums sound very default and wimpy. It sounds like you want them to drive the track but they don't have the punch of volume they need. Add a stronger gate to the bass drum, and bring up the volume. The part writing is also pretty boring and could use a lot more hi-end stuff; mix up the hats and stuff a little. The straight ahead beat can work with excellent production, but in this case a more interesting beat would help a lot.

Keep working on this, guys. :-)

BTW for the drums, how is the repeat part with the drums? Is that part written pretty well, or does it need some drum rolls...if so what kind of rolls? Pardon my newbness =/

Hm okay the rest of the tips make sense, but I don't know how to widen a synth. I'm still new to this stuff and I'm providing all the samples =S LagunaCloud is doing the melody and note progression mostly. (I'm the one who made the weak drums though)

Additonaly, I can tell you that I'm using Sytrus and Toxic III mainly for my synths, I don't how to make my own samples unfortunately.

Sensei-tan to the rescue I guess.

Layering, Layering, Layering is the way to go. What OA meant was that you take the synth you have now, you copy it once or twice, pan one to the right, the other to the left, and you'll get a much meatier and phatter sound.

I think this mix needs much more bass. You have the synth, some pads and the drums, but it really feels like there's nothing under the ~100 Hz mark, which is exactly what this mix needs for booty-shaking.

Also, the " We are the reptites" voice was awesome, but put it somewhere in the intro, just before the beat drops.

Sensei-tan to the rescue I guess.

Layering, Layering, Layering is the way to go. What OA meant was that you take the synth you have now, you copy it once or twice, pan one to the right, the other to the left, and you'll get a much meatier and phatter sound.

I think this mix needs much more bass. You have the synth, some pads and the drums, but it really feels like there's nothing under the ~100 Hz mark, which is exactly what this mix needs for booty-shaking.

Also, the " We are the reptites" voice was awesome, but put it somewhere in the intro, just before the beat drops.

Okay thanks Sensei Tan :D thats good clarification. But, what kind of brass?

<----I R nub

• 4 weeks later...

Behold, LagunaCloud's and HoboKa's new and improved remix of Tryano Lair. This is getting hawter girls - you feel the same way? You digging it? Huh, huh are you, are yooooOOOoOooooUu!!!??? *explodes*

Anywho, here's the link. Enjoy ;-)

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/nssc/TL-getting-hawter4-biatch_ch_ch_mc_ch

BTW we're gonna get some real guitar samples in semi-soonish ;-)

please...need...input badly.

Yay or nay?

Need better EQ?

Need more bass?

Need more punches in the face?

Need more etc??

lol i would say maybe a little more bass. I dunno if its my headphones or not (usually i listen with my sound system cuz these headphones are really shitty) but anyways if there was a bass part i couldnt tell it was there. EQ seems to be good so far.

Keep it up!

this piece has matured a lot from the original, and actually suprised me with the transition. Sounds good! That synth is pretty kick ass. That pitch work is really cool too. I think im gonna have to get out my guitar and jam alongside this piece.

LOL every1 wants to jam with this piece insofar...sensei tan and OA, ok fine so just two other ppl but still thats 3 points for me wooot :D

• 2 weeks later...

The part up until "we are the reptites" doesn't really vary much from the source, at all. but the latter half was alright, it could use some major equalizing, along with some better soundfonts, but from a composition standpoint it wasn't so bad. its certainly a lot better than your original pieces here though i have to say it still needs plenty of work. its getting there bit by bit!

I dunno, having never heard the source, a lot of this seems pretty random to me. You never stick with an idea that gives me a sense of where I am in the song. Production issues aside, the mix just doesn't seem to have any logical progression to it. I think that's the main thing you should be paying attention to, rather than production and sound quality things.

The whole section from 1:00 to 2:00 is a bit weird to me. I can hear some of the source there, but it's a bit too hard to pick out and sounds random like Radiowar said. The ending is a little of the same, but overall I see what direction your taking.

Not trying to sound derogatory, but your ambitions for this piece seem to escape your expertise at this point, but with some dedication this could be very nice indeed.

The whole section from 1:00 to 2:00 is a bit weird to me. I can hear some of the source there, but it's a bit too hard to pick out and sounds random like Radiowar said. The ending is a little of the same, but overall I see what direction your taking.

Not trying to sound derogatory, but your ambitions for this piece seem to escape your expertise at this point, but with some dedication this could be very nice indeed.

its okay, we do that a lot >_>, thx for the input, me more so though lol