Spider-Man 3

Noodle

He just looked emo, he was really just an enormous bag of douche.

I think is was stupid the way they portrayed him as "evil". It really just made him look like an idiot.

Evil people dance apparently.

That was the symbiote's real power.

True. He acted like a drunken frat boy instead of someone who's become progressively more aggressive and arrogant to the point of becoming like Batman.

I for one loved the movie and I thought "emo Peter" was hysterical. I like that they made him a drunken fratboy - in real life, people who become self-absorbed or addicted to something don't turn evil in a cool "Batman" way - they turn into complete and utter douchebags, they make asses of themselves in public and turn everyone away - except for the few people with issues who are actually attracted to that self-destructive type (Ms. Brant?). It just reminded me of the friends I've had who have had problems with drugs, they didn't get cool, they turned into friggin' idiots and were annoying to be around.

And by "problems" with drugs I do mean addiction, lest anyone think I'm a straight edge or something.

In any case, there are some things about the movie I would change, but the way asshole Peter acted, especially how he treats the neighbor girl, was funny as hell and I loved it.

It was never meant for him to be cool, but he didn't turn into a retarded dork either. For one, the suit never came off like in the movie, and typically morphed into whatever clothes he was wearing, so he had it on constantly over a considerable time period. It didn't make him a dancing fool or lower his IQ by 150 points. It made him progessively more aggressive and arrogant as time wore on. It worked to emphasize the "with great power, comes great responsibility" theme of the whole comic. He started to abuse his powers.

Granted, you have to speed things up for a movie, but the only scene in which Peter acts like he should with the suit on is the fight with Harry, where the normally reserved Parker has decided he isn't going to put up with Harry's crap. He's even taunting him and using excessive force. That's Peter on the suit. Not John Travolta walking the city streets.

But you have to keep in mind that the suite made him what he wanted to be. In his case he became a "lady's man". Okay, it sucked a bit (and was hillarious too), but it was the best way to show that the suit made him aggressive and overconfident.

The problem is that throughout the movie, he was cocky even without the suit. Venom came at a much later time in his spiderman career. In the movie, he has been spiderman for a short time, only had to fight 2 enemies, was getting popular. The suit, and the character, were a lot more limited than in the comics, where he could have worn the suit for months before becoming changed.

Lets put it this way, the comic book venom is more like cigarette. In the movie, venom was like crack cocaine.

Except that's not how the suit works. The suit makes you powerful and then being evil, it influences you to abuse that power to take what you want and to hell with anyone else because they're weaker.

He never wanted to be a ladies' man anyway, not even in the movies. He was always focused on getting MJ. Plus, the only person that's even impressed by his antics for even an instant is Gwen, so it didn't even achieve that goal, making him and the suit incompetent buffoons instead of an evil menace.

Spoilers

If they had stayed true to the suit, then rather taking Gwen for a spin around the dance floor to spite MJ's breaking up with him, he would've spent the movie stalking her and more or less wrecking any guy who looked at her the wrong way. Or, if you want to go with the ladies' man angle however contrived and overused it may be, he should've been walking down the street with bimbos on either arm and "accidentally" bumped into her. The part where he's beating down the bouncers was much more on theme.

Moreover, it's silly to go and more or less poke fun at the whole idea of Parker being evil, particularly when it's supposed to be the central theme of the movie. They spent all that time advertising "the greatest battle lies within." What battle? He tried to hit on some women and took a spin around the dance floor looing like a jackass. He wasn't trying to fight his ever growing abuses of power. He didn't even have an ever growing abuse of power. If they had done it right, it would've been more like Doc Ock in Spidey 2 with the tentacles influencing him to be evil in order to meet his own needs.

The stupidest thing about the whole episode is that the majority of his behavior could be attributed to a regular old tantrum as a result of the events of the movie, not the evil doings of a symbiotic organism from outer space. But hey, it must be the suit since they spent all that fifteen seconds talking about how it increases aggression. And now, naturally, it won't come off when he could stick it in a closet before.

It was just poorly executed on every level, which is a shame because the symbiote is a fabulous plot device. Take your hero, whose whole creed is to use power responsibly, then jack up his power level with an alien entity that constantly whispers in his ear that he's invincible and can do whatever he wants.

What did we get instead? Cirque du Soleil's new Emo show.

I was tempted to call the movie: Moulin Spiderman.

It felt like a musical. I'm not saying it was a good movie, or an accurate portrayal of Venom, I'm just saying the suit influenced him differently. It didn't drive him psycho stalker because the movie had to be kid accessible. A good rendition of psychostalker Peter would have been closer to Venom, but unacceptable for a younger audience.

And who did Kirsten Dunst sleep with anyway to get that pointless song at the start of the movie?

And who did Kirsten Dunst sleep with anyway to get that pointless song at the start of the movie?

She didn't sleep with me... =(

I was thinking the same thing though. If they cut out or shortened the scene at the beginning they could have made more movie. A lot of wasted time in this flick.

Especially watching several minutes of sand.

If I were going to structure the post Spidey 2 films, I would've done it thusly.

Spider-Man 3 would more or less have been the current first hour and a half minus the black suit. Instead we'd learn about the Sandman, a sympathetic villain just trying to help his kid, therefore presenting Spidey with a moral condundrum. He understands Sandman's motives, but knows robbery is no way to go about it, and further knows "with great power..." I would've emphasized the dynamic between the two, with the Sandman growing quickly more difficult to handle as he figures out his powers. You can toss in some filler with Harry and MJ where appropriate, but mostly, it's Parker trying to figure out what to do about an extremely powerful villain with whom he sympathizes.

Spider-Man 4 would feature the arrival of the suit, and the conclusion of the New Goblin arc. With that addition would come the Lizard. In this way, Parker is faced with two villains he doesn't want to hurt, but the overwhelming power of the suit and his frustration with Harry, Eddie Brock, and all the other characters is driving him to be more and more violent. Toss in the issues one faces in having a fiancee, and maybe a competing lower maintenance love interest like Felicia Harding. It would center around Parker's struggle to combat the suit and his own dark desires as much as anything else. And we'd get to see a little of Parker's genius side while Doc Connor is out being the Lizard, requiring Parker to figure out the suit on his own and a way to cure his mentor.

Of course, at the end of Spidey 4 Brock would've gotten the suit. So Spidey 5 would showcase Venom, a seemingly upstoppable villain who hell bent on attacking Parker at every turn. Maybe he's forced to team up with some old nemesis to find a way to stop him.

And then, to round it all off, we have Spidey 6, the Carnage film. Parker and MJ are finally married and trying to deal with the perils of married life when yet another menace comes to town. Spidey is forced to team up with the reformed Venom to stop Carnage. Parker has to come to grips with the fact that this villain can't be captured or negotiated with, and that he'll have no choice but to find a way to kill him, if he can, something he couldn't even do to Venom.

I think that way each movie could build on one another, and the last one goes out with a bang.

If I were going to structure the post Spidey 2 films, I would've done it thusly.

Spider-Man 3 would more or less have been the current first hour and a half minus the black suit. Instead we'd learn about the Sandman, a sympathetic villain just trying to help his kid, therefore presenting Spidey with a moral condundrum. He understands Sandman's motives, but knows robbery is no way to go about it, and further knows "with great power..." I would've emphasized the dynamic between the two, with the Sandman growing quickly more difficult to handle as he figures out his powers. You can toss in some filler with Harry and MJ where appropriate, but mostly, it's Parker trying to figure out what to do about an extremely powerful villain with whom he sympathizes.

Spider-Man 4 would feature the arrival of the suit, and the conclusion of the New Goblin arc. With that addition would come the Lizard. In this way, Parker is faced with two villains he doesn't want to hurt, but the overwhelming power of the suit and his frustration with Harry, Eddie Brock, and all the other characters is driving him to be more and more violent. Toss in the issues one faces in having a fiancee, and maybe a competing lower maintenance love interest like Felicia Harding. It would center around Parker's struggle to combat the suit and his own dark desires as much as anything else. And we'd get to see a little of Parker's genius side while Doc Connor is out being the Lizard, requiring Parker to figure out the suit on his own and a way to cure his mentor.

Of course, at the end of Spidey 4 Brock would've gotten the suit. So Spidey 5 would showcase Venom, a seemingly upstoppable villain who hell bent on attacking Parker at every turn. Maybe he's forced to team up with some old nemesis to find a way to stop him.

And then, to round it all off, we have Spidey 6, the Carnage film. Parker and MJ are finally married and trying to deal with the perils of married life when yet another menace comes to town. Spidey is forced to team up with the reformed Venom to stop Carnage. Parker has to come to grips with the fact that this villain can't be captured or negotiated with, and that he'll have no choice but to find a way to kill him, if he can, something he couldn't even do to Venom.

I think that way each movie could build on one another, and the last one goes out with a bang.

That's pretty much how i would've done it aswell. It makes alot more sense, and doesn't feel rushed that way.

I think it's kind of pointless to speculate about how many movies there "should" have been. It's just not going to happen. This will probably be the last direct spider-man movie done with this cast and crew. Anything else will be a completely new revision. Why not simply concentrate on what's there? You can go on and on about how you "would" have done it, but come on. We all would have done it pretty much the same way given a chance.

As far as the battle within: they did show that several times and NOT with the women or Mary Jane. That was just a side effect put in for laughs and some much needed comedic relief. If you pay attention you would have perhaps noticed that he attacks and "kills" two enemies he might have other wise taken mercy upon. I'm not sure many of you were looking though. Too busy rolling your eyes to see what was there.

Spider man with the full black suit and mask on = bad ass

no mask on = a joke

Goblin went out with a glorious and fitting ending = dead

Venom was only just getting started and it left an opening for a come back = not dead

You mean the little piece in Doctor Conners' lab?

And what was up with the complete lack of guilt about killing an innocent man after learning the guy he killed in the first movie may not have been the killer.

he didnt kill the guy in the first movie. the guy fell out the window when peter moved toward him. peter probably wasnt even planning on killing him so he shouldnt have too much guilt about that.

You mean you guys don't want to see Kingpin? Or Rhino? Maybe Tombstone? Or the best villian ever, Shocker?!

Shocker was in the movie game, I dunno if they'll put him in the movie now.

As for Kingpin...

he was in daredevil. He's done.